Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > New single stage snowblowers for the US market ! Go RED buckets.

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
aa335

New single stage snowblowers for the US market ! Go RED buckets.
Original Message   Sep 15, 2014 11:52 am
Hello all,

I know it's a little bit early to think about snow, but some parts of North America has seen those little white flakes already on September 9.  Anyways, there are two new interesting models from Honda and Toro that may fulfill your wish of more power and convenience features.

The first one is a Honda.  As many of you know, Honda makes good performing snowblowers.  But Honda has been very slow to update their SS with more power and features that the competition already has for years!  But that has changed.  Rip Van Winkle has awaken.  The Honda HS720 is now available in the US. This models sports a  bigger 190cc (was 160cc) engine and now is available with remote chute and deflector controls.  I emphasize a remote deflector control!!!  Wooo Hooo!!!!  Of course, electric start is always available.  Just saw this baby at Home Depot today.  Honda went big this year.  Looks serious and purposeful.  Here the link.

Honda HS720AS

The second one is a Toro.  Some of us already seen this as a Toro 721R with a 212cc engine.  This model was released last year as a bare bones commercial model without the homeowner frills and thrills.  However, this year, we see the much wished convenience of remote quick chute and zip deflector added as a homeowner model 721QZE.  Here's the link.

Toro 721QZE

Surprisingly, the Toro is actually more expensive than the Honda.  So stop complaining Honda is expensive.  :)   Also, the Honda is made in North Carolina, designed by an US engineer.  :)
This message was modified Sep 15, 2014 by aa335
Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
aa335

Re: New single stage snowblowers for the US market ! Go RED buckets.
Reply #2   Sep 15, 2014 11:15 pm
robertcoats

Reply #3   Sep 29, 2014 3:20 pm
Just to clarify, there are three new single-stage throwers from Honda.

AL of these are fully manufactured (including engine casting and machining) at the Honda Plant in Swepsonville, NC>

HS720AM

• Base model / 190cc engine
  • 4-stroke - no smell, no smoke
  • Large 20" wide clearing width, 12" high
  • Clears up to 55 tons per hour
  • Semi-self propelled auger drive
MSRP $699*

HS720AA

• Like the AM, but adds Snow Director: remote control of chute rotation and discharge angle.
MSRP $749*
HS720AS

HS720AS

• Just like the AA, but adds a 120-Volt AC electric starter
MSRP $799*

- - -
Robert@Honda
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding was my opinion alone.
This message was modified Sep 30, 2014 by a moderator
aa335

Reply #4   Feb 8, 2015 12:38 pm
Thanks for the info on the available models.  Looks like Honda had a few teething issues with the first year out with these models.  The Snow Director is just the worst I've ever tried, does not belong on this machine.  It requires too much effort to move, does not have enough fine notches to aim the chute.  The remote deflector is a a nice convenience, but it is also too heavy and grabby to operate.  Single stage are about finesse and lightweight, but I have to say that this new model is chunky and heavy, and requires slam bam grunt to operate.  I don't know who designed this model, but it would be good to study the competition to see why Toro 721QZE is just a better well thought out machine.

The snowblower looks serious and expensive.  It's only aestheric.  However, in my opinion, it doesn't need to looks so big.  My Honda 2 stage snowblower s small for a 32 inch model.  The new 20 inch HS720 is just porky.  This snowblower should have been an evolution of the HS621, not to the watered down HS520.

One last rant.  Honda is really slow to respond to changes, but why can't the US market get the electric chute models that are on the Canadian 2 stage snowblowers.   Aren't these snowblowers made in North America for US consumption?  Or do we have to yell in Japanese for someone in Corporate Honda to listen?  Hey, I would like those cool features that Japan and Canada gets.

OK off my soapbox. 
This message was modified Feb 8, 2015 by aa335
MN_Runner

Reply #5   Feb 10, 2015 6:44 pm
aa335 wrote:
Thanks for the info on the available models.  Looks like Honda had a few teething issues with the first year out with these models.  The Snow Director is just the worst I've ever tried, does not belong on this machine.  It requires too much effort to move, does not have enough fine notches to aim the chute.  The remote deflector is a a nice convenience, but it is also too heavy and grabby to operate.  Single stage are about finesse and lightweight, but I have to say that this new model is chunky and heavy, and requires slam bam grunt to operate.  I don't know who designed this model, but it would be good to study the competition to see why Toro 721QZE is just a better well thought out machine.

The snowblower looks serious and expensive.  It's only aestheric.  However, in my opinion, it doesn't need to looks so big.  My Honda 2 stage snowblower s small for a 32 inch model.  The new 20 inch HS720 is just porky.  This snowblower should have been an evolution of the HS621, not to the watered down HS520.

One last rant.  Honda is really slow to respond to changes, but why can't the US market get the electric chute models that are on the Canadian 2 stage snowblowers.   Aren't these snowblowers made in North America for US consumption?  Or do we have to yell in Japanese for someone in Corporate Honda to listen?  Hey, I would like those cool features that Japan and Canada gets.

OK off my soapbox. 

I hear you. How about moving to Southern FL or Southern CA? I heard no or limited snow in those areas.
Catt

Reply #6   Feb 11, 2015 8:30 am
I have a HS520 and it's been a great machine. When I saw that Honda was upgrading, I couldn't wait to see the HS720AS. I really wanted to try out the remote chute controls. Well all I can say... they have some work to do. I agree the controls are way too hard to use and need a complete redesign.
This message was modified Feb 11, 2015 by Catt
aa335

Reply #7   Feb 11, 2015 11:46 am
MN_Runner wrote:
I hear you. How about moving to Southern FL or Southern CA? I heard no or limited snow in those areas.

Not sure which part you heard, but I still like snow and cold weather.    The only time I want to move to a warmer state is during the coldest month of January.  I'm complaining a little bit since the east coast is hogging all the snow.  Can you guys share a foot or two?  I don't need it all at once, about 10 inches weekly would be nice.

I might have to drive across the borders to bring home a Yamaha just to spite Honda.  :)  It will be the first blue OPE in my collection. 
MN_Runner

Reply #8   Feb 11, 2015 6:46 pm
aa335 wrote:
Not sure which part you heard, but I still like snow and cold weather.    The only time I want to move to a warmer state is during the coldest month of January.  I'm complaining a little bit since the east coast is hogging all the snow.  Can you guys share a foot or two?  I don't need it all at once, about 10 inches weekly would be nice.

I might have to drive across the borders to bring home a Yamaha just to spite Honda.  :)  It will be the first blue OPE in my collection. 

Are you going to Toronto to buy the BLUE beast? London, ONT perhaps? It is a beautiful drive from Chicago to ONT.
aa335

Reply #9   Feb 24, 2015 9:04 pm
MN_Runner wrote:
Are you going to Toronto to buy the BLUE beast? London, ONT perhaps? It is a beautiful drive from Chicago to ONT.

Nothing definite since it's not a necessity.  I have a summer time OPE that I would like to upgrade that takes higher priority.
slinger

Reply #10   Aug 31, 2015 2:59 pm
Did Honda refine their controls for this year or is it the exact same as last year? Any other changes to these two lines (Toro 721 & Honda HS720) ?
aa335

Reply #11   Sep 1, 2015 1:14 am
I don't see any changes to the Toro 721, which is fine.  I'm happy with the Toro SS.  The larger engine on the Toro 721 is nice for EOD piles and slush.  Toro did introduced a new Snowmaster, which is interesting.  You may want to check it out.

Not sure if Honda addresses all the vibration and hamfisted chute problems on the HS720 this year.  They pulled the product off the market last year which is a smart move.  Telling people to torque their handle bolts and deal with it is quite a joke. 
Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42