Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens Platinum Deluxe 24" snowblower backfire

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
snowman

Ariens Platinum Deluxe 24" snowblower backfire
Original Message   Jun 10, 2014 5:25 pm
Have an Ariens Platinum Deluxe 24" snowblower and it runs great, as long as the choke is engaged one slot. 

When the choke is off, the engine seems to run OK, but it has a sound of backfiring almost constantly and it emits light blackish smoke through the exhaust.  I also noticed that when the choke is off, it makes no difference what the speed lever is set to; it won't change speed above something like idle.

I guess it's something with the carb but don't know exactly what it will take to fix the problem.  Where to start?
This message was modified Jun 10, 2014 by snowman
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
mkd55

Re: Ariens Platinum Deluxe 24" snowblower backfire
Reply #1   Jun 10, 2014 5:30 pm
sounds like the high speed jet is partially clogged and the engine isn't running rich enough. my tecumseh 8hp had to have the jets cleaned every so often to keep it running . if it is too lean it will run hot and haver no power.
This message was modified Jun 10, 2014 by mkd55
snowman

Reply #2   Jul 31, 2014 8:04 am
Removed the spotless carb bowl and used auto spray carb cleaner on every part I could see.  Cleaned a hefty amount of carbon off the spark plug.  Ran great, idled without choke at a low speed, backfired as always if I cut the throttle quickly.  Let the carb run dry for storage, greased the fittings and drained the tank. 

The Teumseh carb on the old snowblower seemed a lot hardier.  The no name (unless I missed something) carb on this Platinum Deluxe impressed me as more like a toy than equipment.  

It's a Briggs engine 15C1 34 2143 F8 engine that according to info online has a Briggs 590907 carb.   Is there a higher quality interchangable carb that I could be using that may not be prone to problems, was this issue a fluke and should I ignore it or be doing something else?

Will add that I've been using Stabil.
slinger

Reply #3   Sep 15, 2014 9:08 pm
Mine will backfire if I cut the throttle too quickly too. Solution: Don't! (took some time to get it through my thick head though!)
snowman

Reply #4   Sep 28, 2014 8:40 am
As described earlier, the Briggs engine 15C1 34 2143 F8 appears to have come with a no-name carb. 

Is there a hardier brand or type that can be used on this engine, and will it make any difference?
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42