Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > How long should a proberly aligned auger belt last.

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Paul7


Joined: Mar 12, 2007
Points: 425

How long should a proberly aligned auger belt last.
Original Message   Feb 13, 2014 12:31 am
I recently picked up a like new four year old Ariens 926LE with around 15 - 20 hours on it. I then used it about three hours this season. As I was finishing up the EOD snow last week the auger stopped working. I checked the belt ans it was so loose that adjustments didn't help. Just got done putting a new belt on it and compared the old one with the new one. The old belt, that was originial to the machine, was stretched out over 1/2 inch more than the new replacement. The new belt was the correctly sized replacement part. Twenty some hours of belt life seems short to me. Just curious what other folks are getting. 10 to 14 inches coming tomorrow in SE Pennsylvnia. It's been a good year for blowing snow.
Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Snowmann


Joined: Dec 3, 2003
Points: 494

Re: How long should a proberly aligned auger belt last.
Reply #2   Feb 13, 2014 9:50 pm
Paul7 wrote:
I recently picked up a like new four year old Ariens 926LE with around 15 - 20 hours on it. I then used it about three hours this season. As I was finishing up the EOD snow last week the auger stopped working. I checked the belt ans it was so loose that adjustments didn't help. Just got done putting a new belt on it and compared the old one with the new one. The old belt, that was originial to the machine, was stretched out over 1/2 inch more than the new replacement. The new belt was the correctly sized replacement part. Twenty some hours of belt life seems short to me. Just curious what other folks are getting. 10 to 14 inches coming tomorrow in SE Pennsylvnia. It's been a good year for blowing snow.


What does "correctly sized replacement part" mean? Is it OEM from Ariens?
Paul7


Joined: Mar 12, 2007
Points: 425

Re: How long should a proberly aligned auger belt last.
Reply #3   Feb 13, 2014 10:16 pm
Snowmann wrote:
What does "correctly sized replacement part" mean? Is it OEM from Ariens?


It wasn't from Ariens Snowmann. There used to be a lot of Ariens dealers near me years ago but not any more. I went to a Cub Cadet dealer and gave hin the model/serial number for my Ariens...he looked it up and sold me what his computer told him were the correct replacement belts. I had to mount the tensioning pulley as close as possible to the belt to get it to work right. The belt was made by Gates Corp #SV021607 Used it today on a heavy 12 inch snowfall and it worked great. I did notice quite a bit of belt residue in the pulley compartment and around the brake shoe when I swapped out the belt.
Paul7


Joined: Mar 12, 2007
Points: 425

Re: How long should a proberly aligned auger belt last.
Reply #4   Feb 13, 2014 10:19 pm
iLikeOrange wrote:
I have a eight-year-old 926 DLE and have never burned a belt. 20 hours does seem pretty short to me. I would suspect a pully or tensioner out of alignment. There are also two holes on that tensioner if I recall for adjustment.


I had to use oval hole and mounted it as close as I could to the belt. There was old belt residue so maybe there is an alignment that needs to be done.
niper99


Location: London Ont
Joined: Dec 2, 2007
Points: 333

Re: How long should a proberly aligned auger belt last.
Reply #5   Feb 13, 2014 10:26 pm
u half to consider the machines age aswell.. 4-5 years old.. and u don't know how nice the owner was on it before u got it... from my experience 4-5 years is about right for a belt replacement... does it have an hour meter on it?..
Shryp


Location: Cleveland, OH
Joined: Jul 26, 2010
Points: 516

Re: How long should a proberly aligned auger belt last.
Reply #6   Feb 14, 2014 11:39 am
If the old belt was never properly tightened then it could have been slipping every time it was used which would make it wear quickly.
Paul7


Joined: Mar 12, 2007
Points: 425

Re: How long should a proberly aligned auger belt last.
Reply #7   Feb 14, 2014 3:51 pm
niper99 wrote:
u half to consider the machines age aswell.. 4-5 years old.. and u don't know how nice the owner was on it before u got it... from my experience 4-5 years is about right for a belt replacement... does it have an hour meter on it?..


No hour meter on this machine. That would be helpful especially on a snowblower. Last year winter was so mild so I put zero hours on my blowers. This winter is a different story.
Paul7


Joined: Mar 12, 2007
Points: 425

Re: How long should a proberly aligned auger belt last.
Reply #8   Feb 14, 2014 4:25 pm
Shryp wrote:
If the old belt was never properly tightened then it could have been slipping every time it was used which would make it wear quickly.


I think that was the problem Shryp. Snowmann once told me about a dual belt kit for my Ariens 11528LE. Jacks Small engine carried it back then, part number 72600700. Wonder if that same kit can be installed on my 926LE...it's a model 926101 Serial 003318.
Snowmann


Joined: Dec 3, 2003
Points: 494

Re: How long should a proberly aligned auger belt last.
Reply #9   Feb 22, 2014 12:45 am
Paul7, it's a fact that the Ariens OEM auger belts last many times the life of aftermarket. Belts made after early 2011 are especially good (that would include OEM service belts for your machine). Trust me on this. I would never use aftermarket auger belts on this machine (Aramid/Kevlar belts are not all equal). Also, for a bit more than the cost of a replacement OEM single belt, you can get the dual belt upgrade complete with 2 belts, pulleys, etc. That would be on my Xmas list if I owned your machine. If you do have a new belt on the machine, regardless of origin, make sure you go through the run-in process and readjust the idler.
This message was modified Feb 22, 2014 by Snowmann
Paul7


Joined: Mar 12, 2007
Points: 425

Re: How long should a proberly aligned auger belt last.
Reply #10   Feb 22, 2014 2:06 am
Thanks Snowmann. I will take your advice. Will the dual belt set up work on my my 926LE...model 926101 Serial 003318.
Snowmann


Joined: Dec 3, 2003
Points: 494

Re: How long should a proberly aligned auger belt last.
Reply #11   Feb 22, 2014 4:34 pm
Yup. Part number 72600700
Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2014 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42