Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Tips for removing Ariens auger shaft bolts?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
RedOctobyr

Tips for removing Ariens auger shaft bolts?
Original Message   Feb 9, 2014 7:18 pm
So I thought my Ariens 1024 Pro was pretty much ready for service. But I just noticed that, on one end of the auger shaft (the one that goes left-right across the bucket), there is quite a lot of play between the shaft and the round housing with the 3 bolts going into the bucket. Almost like the bronze bushing for the shaft at that end is either missing, or worn down to nothing. I can see the bushing at the other end of the shaft, which just has a little play. But I can't see a bushing at the loose end, for whatever reason.

So I'd like to remove the bolts at either end of the shaft and pull both bushings, and probably replace both of them. Assuming this is the correct method to remove those bushings. But all the bolts on this machine (which must have been stored outside at some point) have been a big pain, and a bunch have just twisted off. So I'm really nervous about trying to take these off.

I sprayed them with PB Blaster, then also doused them with Liquid Wrench. I have some Kroil spray coming as well, which I will also try. I really hope this  will be enough.

But even the question of *how* to loosen them seems tricky. If I just put a wrench on the bolt, all that torque transfers into the woodruff keys holding the gear to the shaft, inside the cast-iron gearbox. I don't want to damage anything. Is it best to have 2 people, one at each end of the shaft, trying to loosen both bolts at the same time? That way you aren't really loading up the gearbox as much. I also wondered about trying to put a board through the augers, and turn the impeller until the board is tight up against the bucket, to try and take up some of the torque through the shear bolts, which can easily be replaced.

I know people here have a lot of experience with these machines, so I figured I'd ask. Thank you!
Replies: 1 - 11 of 11View as Thread
Replies: 1 - 11 of 11View as Thread
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42