Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > what to buy? Used 2-stroke Toro 221 or new 4-stroke Toro 621 or Simplicity 922?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
raysmd

what to buy? Used 2-stroke Toro 221 or new 4-stroke Toro 621 or Simplicity 922?
Original Message   Jan 25, 2014 10:07 pm
So, a single stage is what I'm looking for. There's a used Toro 221QE for about $225-250 that's in pretty good condition. Or I can get a newer Toro or Simplicity. any thoughts?
Replies: 7 - 7 of 7Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
longboat

Re: what to buy? Used 2-stroke Toro 221 or new 4-stroke Toro 621 or Simplicity 922?
Reply #7   Feb 3, 2014 10:17 am
aa335 wrote:
...Not to diminish the joy of owning the finest OPE pieces around, but it seems like you have a lot heavy artillery invested for the storm of the decade / century.  ... 

Agreed.  I'm sitting here with a Crapsman 928 in my garage waiting for the next big snowfall...been waiting three years since the last one.  I put synthetic oil in it just so I wouldn't have to change the oil every year (since dino oil breaks down over time).  We've been getting a lot of 1"-3" snows, but every two or three years we get about a 15"+ snow with 3'-4' drifts.

If I had it to do over (or, rather, when I do it again), I'll forego the two-stage and pick up a Toro 621/721 for the 2"-10" snows, use my 36" pusher for snows less than 2", and use a snow scoop for the big snows and EOD.  No need for a two-stage anymore - takes up too much garage space.

I got my snow scoop at Ace Hardware for about $45 a few years back, and it will easily handle the big stuff, with no strain on the back.  Here is the one I got http://www.amazon.com/Ames-True-Temper-1600900-Avalanche/dp/B000KL2WG4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1391439788&sr=8-2&keywords=snow+scoop although I paid a lot less.  I think Home Depot has these from time to time, also.

In the meantime, I've been scooping the 2"-4" snows over to the side of the driveway with the 36" pusher, then running my 928 through the windrows just to give it some exercise...

Replies: 7 - 7 of 7Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42