Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens ST824 (932101) doesn't stop after releasing traction/drive handle?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Miggy24

Ariens ST824 (932101) doesn't stop after releasing traction/drive handle?
Original Message   Feb 2, 2014 11:30 pm
I have been using my Ariens ST824 all season with no issues until about a week ago, when it decided to NOT STOP after releasing the drive handle. I've checked the friction disc, it has minimal wear but was replaced two seasons ago. The traction cable is taught and the drive handle has significant resistance. Is there a spring somewhere that's not working? I have to lift the tires off the ground slightly for it to disengage the forward progress. Thanks
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Shryp

Re: Ariens ST824 (932101) doesn't stop after releasing traction/drive handle?
Reply #1   Feb 2, 2014 11:37 pm
Either your return spring has broken/come unhooked or the mechanism that slides in and out is gummed up and needs cleaned and oiled. You are going to have to tip it up on the bucket and take the bottom cover off and have a look at what it is doing. It is possible that someone adjusted it too tight as well.
mkd55

Reply #2   Feb 3, 2014 9:52 am
miggy! my old 824 did the same thing! here's what i did and it might help you. take the plastic belt cover off and press the left lever down while watching for what moves under the cover. there is a throwout type mechanism that slides to the back just slightly that makes the drive disc engage the drive friction wheel. where the slideing pieces are moving becomes dry and rusted and eventually hangs the drive disc in place against the drive wheel. mine would continue to drive for a bit once the left handle was released. i used an oil can and squirted oil on the parts while operating the left lever and everything started working correctly again. just make sure not to get oil or lube on any of the drive belts or pulleys! my 824 was 28 yrs old and i just sold it, for over 20 yrs the shaft i oiled never got any service till the drive started hanging up. once i oiled it i never had problems again. i would also take the back lower plate off and see if the drive disc is disengaging and engaging the friction wheel when the left drive lever is operated. if everything is lubed and adjusted correctly the disc should move in and out of contact with the friction wheel. on mine there was an adjustment nut on the lower left back of the machine to adjust the correct amount of tension on the friction disc when the drive was engaged. to adjust you tipped the machine up on the bucket and put the gear select into first gear. with the left drive lever (up and released) rotate the drive tires while you adjust the nut clockwise till the disc just starts dragging on the friction wheel. once you find the drag point you rotate the nut counterclockwise 3 full turns and lock it in place with the lock nut. at that adjustment the disc should be free from the friction wheel when the lever is up and have the correct tension on the friction disc when the lever is held down to engage the drive. if yours is operated by cable instead of a rod the procedure might operate somewhat differently but the end results should be the same.
This message was modified Feb 3, 2014 by mkd55
Miggy24

Reply #3   Feb 12, 2014 10:03 pm
Thanks for all the recommendations. I cleaned and oiled the shaft the drive plate rides on. No issues as of yet, so far so good!!
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42