Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > new snow king engine goes down...

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

new snow king engine goes down...
Original Message   Feb 9, 2005 5:29 pm
hi folks .

about a month ago i had a customer come in with a mtd snowblower. it was an older model that was built pretty well ,not a high end machine but better than a new mtd.

anyway his engine was toast.

he asked me for a good economical engine replacement.

our briggs intec 11 horse unit goes for 780 cdn. installed complete with electric start.

this is the engine i prefer .

it is an older machine so he asked me if we had anything else.

of course we do ,new complete tecumseh 11 horse Lhead.no electric start installed for 650 cdn.

thats the one he picked.

used it once and guess what...poof  or boom more like it.

lost its internals all over the yard.

ive never seen one so messy.

removed it ,did a failure analysis and guess what else.

suspected cause of con rod failure was insufficient clearance to the main.

ive never seen it before but it is in the book and me and the guy from technical service went right to it.

the engine will fail within 2 hours when there is insufficient clearance .

wasnt oil related at all.no other visable wear in the engine .

ill keep you updated on the replacement of the shortblock.

later chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
Replies: 3 - 12 of 22Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Re: new snow king engine goes down...
Reply #3   Feb 12, 2005 7:35 am
Bump

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
Gilsons

Let it snow, in southern Maine

Reply #4   Feb 12, 2005 8:50 am
mml4 wrote:
Hi Chris!

Could you do a comparison of the Briggs and Tecumseh and indicate why your preference is Briggs.

In addition it appears that the guys on this board that have the new OHV Briggs engines don't mention the surging or exhaust popping that the Tecumseh owners do. Is that just the way the posts have gone on this board or is the Briggs carburetor doing a better job and if so why?

Thanks,

Marc 

I'm staying out of this one!  :)

Pete

ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Reply #5   Feb 12, 2005 9:05 am
Gilsons wrote:
I'm staying out of this one!  :)

Pete

LOL....

C

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #6   Feb 12, 2005 4:12 pm
Pete and Chris-

The questions were posed in the spirit of a student asking a teacher. My son is buying a house and the local OPE shop is a Simplicity dealer amongst other brands. Since I have no experience with the new OHV Briggs I thought I would ask an expert. Perhaps you could pm me an answer if you don't wish to post publicly. I am especially interested in the comparison of Briggs and Tecumseh carburetion. 

Not looking to start or continue a controversy,

Marc

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
jubol

Reply #7   Feb 12, 2005 4:20 pm
 Pete and Chris,

Please postttttttttttttttttt  the difference!   !    !

Don't keep it a secret,

Fred   

This message was modified Feb 12, 2005 by jubol

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #8   Feb 12, 2005 4:26 pm
Hey, there's nothing wrong with good old debate wars going on. We just try to avoid the people that come here to bash and watch the ones that get too personal.

Let her rip..........I'll get some popcorn and a brewski.    
ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Reply #9   Feb 12, 2005 4:26 pm
I was having some fun with Pete not trying to anger anyone.  The discussion and debate about the durability of Tec engines has been raised many time over the years, the subject has been beat to death really.

I like them and would buy a machine with one.  I like Briggs motors also.  That is my opinion on the topic and beyond that would refer to the Pros like Chris and Lint.

C

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #10   Feb 12, 2005 5:36 pm
okay here you go...

based on my own personal experience ,which goes right into these engines. i will try to remain objective and discuss the differences in a pro and con kind of way.

the briggs is about 150 dollars more in canadian dollars anyway  and around here,not sure of difference at your local.

the briggs is " new  technology " its basically a completley new engine and from the very design plans the engineers knew they were building an emmissions engine. this is why it actullay runs as well as it does with todays gas and it has none of the hiccupps associated with todays gas and non adjustable carbs.

the tecumseh engines that im familliar with ( and i have sold and serviced a great deal of new ones ) will start and run pretty good for an old design of engine  that was developed in the early 60s.yes there have been many advance since its beginning but basically its old ...very old. however a good deal of those early engines are still running strong.and they will continue to do so.

its a tried and true design.those engines were never designed in any way to be emmission engines and you have to give credit to tecumseh for being able to get it to run as good as it does.and many never experience problems at all.

there have been some connecting rod issues with the tecumseh engines and a lot of it is operator error,low oil wrong oil governor missadjustment and so on.

there are a few cases where there is actually somthing wrong from the factory,if an engine fails due to a rod toss in less than 2 hours of use then it is caused by insufficient clearance to the crank.

if the engine gets to about the 10 hour mark and the rod fails then there was excessive clearance.

if you get past these hours of use then you can say you have a good engine.

i regularly get to work on upwards of perhaps 250 snowblowers a season ,and more each year (i guess im that good).and have seen only 1 tecumseh that went in less than 2 hours and 2 engines that went at around the 10 hour mark.

they all were covered under warranty.

the 2 engines that went with 10 or so hours were not what i would have repaired under warranty at one time.when the con rod is burnt where it breaks it usually means lack of lubrication.but tecumseh says fix them so i did but i saved the pieces and showed the customers .as soon as they look at the parts they know i know  and thats all there is said.

as far as the briggs engine goes ,its basically a made in japan design built in the states and it works  good.

we have no personal service issues with this engine. never saw any problems with it.we sold 12 new snappers with this engine and have no complaints at all.have also sold this as a replacement for the tecumseh about 15 times and have no reports of problems. i have askes technical service about this and the only ones that have any issues are installed on sears units,there is somthing with the muffler that will allow snow to melt after the engine is shutoff and stored and possibly enter the muffler and refreese ,this blocks the exhaust and it wont start. havent seen this only heard about it sears unit has a different spec exhaust.

as far as the horsepower and torque war goes.i have to say from experience that the briggs wins no problem.

i know that the actual numbers say that they are really even but when you use 2 identical machines with each engine the briggs will outperform with a noticible difference.

there is somthing about the powercurve that realy does help when you are in 2 feet of snow.

the briggs never seems like it is straining to do the job.

that being the case if you never see 2 feet of snow you will seldom get the chance to know about the briggs.

the carbs on the tecumseh engines are a sore spot with a lot of mechanics.

1 shot of gas thats a little old and it has to come off there is now way you can do a proper tune up without removing it and cleaning.it.

why is this ...its my own opinion that in its design which is from a long time ago when gas was a good thing.the carbs had many different materials in there makeup.

the body is aluminum,the float is brass,the bowl is some kind of tin.there are steel welch plugs ,.brass metering tubes and nozzels and some other stuff were not sure what it is made of.   add todays gas with its zillion chemicals and the alcohol,dont forget that there is up to 10% alcohol in its makup.and thats not the good kind either.the alcohol in it is agressive and it draws moisture right out of the air.this is what gives the problems with BAD gas it eats up all the dissimilar metals in the carb there are actulally chemical reactions taking place in there that you cant see ,you just know it happened when your snowblower wont go when you need it.

does the briggs have this problem...have no idea never saw the carb on the briggs engine.yup we have not done a thing to them except change oil and plugs.thats it.

we dont make any service dollars on the briggs engines ...

and we make lots on servicing the tecumseh.

but whose fault is that really. when tecumseh originally designed that engine gasoline was not an issue it even had LEAD in it. good for engines ...bad for us. nobody knew that today there would be over 300 chemicals in the makeup of our fuel .

these engines didnt have any problems with carbs until the fuel started to change .

then you get people that dont really have the knowhow to do a proper job cleaning their carbs and adjusting governors.

this i beleive is where another story of connecting rod issues starts.

mess up the carb and the engine is gonna go.

folks here ask questions and can then do a proper job on the carb and governor adjustment .

i guess it all comes down to information and what you do with it.

time will tell if the briggs lasts 40 years like the tecumseh ar if it gets tossed in 10.

i hope i helped a little .

later chris        

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #11   Feb 12, 2005 5:53 pm
snowshoveler wrote:

the briggs is " new  technology " its basically a completley new engine and from the very design plans the engineers knew they were building an emmissions engine. this is why it actullay runs as well as it does with todays gas and it has none of the hiccupps associated with todays gas and non adjustable carbs.

Great information.  That's what makes all the difference in the engine.  Designed for "present day" not decades ago. I wish there was some sort of aftermarket carburetor designed for snowblowers that would fit on a Tecumseh engine.  I bet it would solve many problems.  It also shows just how much Tecumseh really profits on these engines.  They just keep giving consumers the same tired design.  Actually not true, they updated them with electronic ignition and did away with points. 

Richie
buttlint

Reply #12   Feb 12, 2005 6:52 pm
Briggs carbs? Tecumeh carbs? Which are superior?
I dont think either one of them should pat theirselves on the back too hard.
In my area....I dont work on a lot of the 2-stage blowers with briggs engines....the primary machines for me are single-stage residential blowers. I dont have a lot of problems with tecumseh carbs on them. I have a lot more issues with Toro r-tek carbs....than with tecumseh carbs. But thats another kettle of fish.

But......when summer rolls around....I get a large dose of Briggs carb problems. Again...I deal primarily with smaller (10 hp and less) residential units. I see tons of Quantam based engines.
One disturbing problem that I have run across with Briggs carbs is float level problems.
Briggs uses a cast plastic float that is non-adjustable. One problem with that system is that the material that briggs uses for its seats...has a nasty habit of "swelling" which in turn causes the float level too change.
As the seat swells it changes the fuel level in the bowl too drop and the machines too run leaner.  (Harder restarts, etc.) The seat can swell so much...that it can change the angle of the float by as much as 20 degrees? (thats a guess.)
But.... in the the last couple of years...I have discovered an even more nasty problem. (No thanks too Briggs tech support!)
It seem that when the carbs were cast and the passage that contains the seat (#398188) was drilled too deep.
Now that may not seem like a big deal.....but when I put in a new seat and hold the carb upside down too check the float level, the float will touch the bottom of the carb casting. (Causing an extremely rich condition...if it shuts off the fuel at all!) Leaky carb ring any bells? Puffs of black smoke on start up?
Oh, well. Take the bic lighter and heat up the area around the needle tang and bend it too adjust the carb. It works....so do it...but dont ask briggs too make an adjustable tang.
I asked Briggs tech support if they had a problem with this sort of thing.....4 years ago! (It seemed too me that it started with the OHV Quantams.)
Finally, at the end of last season, I worked my way up too an engineer in briggs and he admitted that he has had some "reports" of the problem. (I see 20-40 of these things in a season.)
Question: Well, what are you guys doing about it ? And what should I be doing about it?
Answer: Nothing and replace the carb.
Conclusion: It's really hard too pick a side too cheer for.
Replies: 3 - 12 of 22Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42