Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Honda snowblower models in Canada.

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
aa335

Honda snowblower models in Canada.
Original Message   Dec 26, 2013 12:06 pm
Seeing that Honda has no competition in Canada.  They brought out their entire fleet of snowblower.  It is quite extensive, actually.  Both wheeled and tracked 2 stage snowblowers are available at various bucket and engine sizes.  Sadly, only a portion of this lineup is available in the US.  Even those that are available here are watered down.  Sad, very sad.

Canada still have the awesome HS621.  There's a newer SS that just came out.  It is the HS720.  Basically a supercharged HS520 with a GS190 engine.  Looks pretty darn good, in my opinion.  I can see there's a future for a revamped HS621 with GX200 engine, AKA HS721.  One can only hope Honda makes serious attempts of a competing in the US market.  Even Yamaha is too afraid to come across the border to compete against Ariens, Toro, and Briggs branded snowblowers.

Anyone from Canada care to chime in on the brands are common up there?
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
borat

Re: Honda snowblower models in Canada.
Reply #1   Dec 26, 2013 1:01 pm
The most common snow blower that I see is Craftsman branded.   After that it's the usual blend of garden varieties of MTD/Murray offerings.  Premium quality units such as Yamaha, Honda, Airens, Toro and old Simplicitys are highly outnumbered by the above run of the mill offerings. 

I did notice the new lineup of Honda machines.  Got to wonder how many people are willing to shell out over $1558.00 (taxes in) for an SS machine as with the HS621K2CS?      Another thing you have to question is Honda's penchant for making numerous models with minor but significant changes in width and height of the intakes?   Does it make much sense to have an intake difference of .8 of an inch as compared between the HS621 and HS720CC?  Wouldn't it be wiser and more consumer friendly to keep the sizes the same to keep production costs down?   If you compare the SS machines, the physical differences are minor however, price variance isn't.  Another issue that I have a problem with is the prevalence of GC engines.  Only the ridiculously expensive HS621 has the superb commercial grade GX engine.   Not that the GC engine is junk.   With it's aluminum bore and proliferation of plastic internal parts, it's not nearly as enduring as the GX engine, which I think also has a plastic cam but a steel bore.  Considering that the GC engines on the SS machines will be working in cooler conditions, I would say it's safe to say they'd live long lives just the same.   I just don't like to compromise on engine quality.  A bit of a phobia I guess.   Here's a link for comparison purposes.

http://powerequipment.honda.ca/compare/snowblowers/hs621cs
MN_Runner

Reply #2   Dec 26, 2013 1:39 pm
aa335 wrote:
Seeing that Honda has no competition in Canada.  They brought out their entire fleet of snowblower.  It is quite extensive, actually.  Both wheeled and tracked 2 stage snowblowers are available at various bucket and engine sizes.  Sadly, only a portion of this lineup is available in the US.  Even those that are available here are watered down.  Sad, very sad.

Canada still have the awesome HS621.  There's a newer SS that just came out.  It is the HS720.  Basically a supercharged HS520 with a GS190 engine.  Looks pretty darn good, in my opinion.  I can see there's a future for a revamped HS621 with GX200 engine, AKA HS721.  One can only hope Honda makes serious attempts of a competing in the US market.  Even Yamaha is too afraid to come across the border to compete against Ariens, Toro, and Briggs branded snowblowers.

Anyone from Canada care to chime in on the brands are common up there?

I find GC or GS 190CC to be a very good engine.  When I went from 160CC honda 216 to 190CC honda 217 lawnmower model, the difference was huge and noticeable although 30CC is not too much.  GC160 is a bit under powered at times on HS520 so GC190 or GS190 would be a nice upgrade on a 20" blower.  Canada got some crazy high prices on Honda (or any other brand) cars and snowblowers. Sorry for not being a Canadian citizen.
aa335

Reply #3   Dec 26, 2013 4:08 pm
borat wrote:
Another issue that I have a problem with is the prevalence of GC engines.  Only the ridiculously expensive HS621 has the superb commercial grade GX engine.   Not that the GC engine is junk.   With it's aluminum bore and proliferation of plastic internal parts, it's not nearly as enduring as the GX engine, which I think also has a plastic cam but a steel bore.  Considering that the GC engines on the SS machines will be working in cooler conditions, I would say it's safe to say they'd live long lives just the same.   I just don't like to compromise on engine quality.

I just reviewed the Canada website and I don't see a lot of GC engines used on snowblowers.  The only model that use a GC engine is the HS520.  The HS720 uses the GS190, all the 2 stage snowblowers uses GX engines.  As you said, the HS621 is the only SS with a GX engine.
borat

Reply #4   Dec 26, 2013 4:28 pm
aa335 wrote:
I just reviewed the Canada website and I don't see a lot of GC engines used on snowblowers.  The only model that use a GC engine is the HS520.  The HS720 uses the GS190, all the 2 stage snowblowers uses GX engines.  As you said, the HS621 is the only SS with a GX engine.

The GS series engines appear to be better than the GC series but not quite up to the standards of the GX series.  Here's Honda's description:

"Honda GS Series of Overhead Cam Engines

The Honda GS Series is positioned squarely between the GC Series premium residential and the GX Series commercial engines.

The GS190 horizontal shaft and GSV190 vertical shaft models are designed to serve both premium residential and light-duty commercial markets. Intended for use on such popular applications as pumps, blowers, mowers, and tillers, these Honda models satisfy the homeowner seeking ultimate performance, and the contractor seeking a lightweight, compact package.

Capitalizing on the same basic OHC architecture as Honda's extremely popular GC engines, the GS features uniblock construction and a unique internal timing belt design that results in the lightest and most compact package in its class. With 187 cubic centimeters of displacement, this efficient design also delivers an unparalleled power-to-weight ratio with quiet operation, and easy starting.

To further enhance performance and durability, the Honda GS engines incorporate a cast iron cylinder sleeve and a redesigned piston with a three-piece oil control ring. Adding to the engine's commercial character, the GSV190 features ball bearings on the flywheel side of the crankshaft, while the GS190 utilizes ball bearings at both ends of the crankshaft. A dual stage air filter with an oiled pre-filter enhances engine performance in the dusty environment often created by mowing or tilling.

The Honda GS engines exemplify Honda's fundamental design philosophies of durability, quality, reliability, ease of starting and high fuel economy."

Sounds like the GS series are decent engines.  Strangely enough, I have a Honda GX series OHC, V-Twin in my 2005 riding mower at camp.  Usually the GX series engines have push rod actuated valves.  I was surprised to see an OHC engine with the GX designation. 

Here's a good link if you want further info concerning Honda's engines:

http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/article.aspx?id=1180-en

Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42