Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > ariens 1986 light option.

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mkd55

ariens 1986 light option.
Original Message   Dec 11, 2013 9:31 am
have an 8 hp Tecumseh engine on my 1986 ariens 924 and need to know what I need to install to mount a light on the unit? I thought I read in the book that an alternator needs to be added under the flywheel. how expensive and big of a job is it to add and what parts do I need? after all these yrs I finally think I need a light! thanks mike.
This message was modified Dec 11, 2013 by mkd55
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
trouts2

Re: ariens 1986 light option.
Reply #1   Dec 12, 2013 8:21 am

For the alternator part you can get a view of what the alternator looks like and how it mounts from the link below.   The engine is to a HMSK80 from around the mid/late 80’s.   The alternator has a wire about a foot long that runs behind the flywheel and cowling.  It’s got a connector on the end that would plug into the wire connector from the light.   

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=tecumseh&mn=HMSK80-155527V&dn=EHMSK801155527V-EN

>>how expensive

The alternator above is $55 new.  A new light would be pricey also.  Used parts off Craigslist would be much cheaper. 

>> and big of a job is it

Not so difficult.  Remove cowling, flywheel, install the alternator, mount the light which would involve some minor fudging, if needed install matching connectors on the alternator and light wires.

>>parts do I need?

Not sure if all HMSK’s have the mounting holes for the alternator or if all flywheels have room for the alternators but they probably do.

jimbedro

Re: ariens 1986 light option.
Reply #2   Dec 12, 2013 6:59 pm
The flywheel for the alternator is different from a standard flywheel. It has magnets built in to it. There are several different versions. You need to get the one that is designed for your engine.
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42