Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > On a Subaru SX17, where does the tube from the primer "pump" connect on the carburator?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
LazerFlash

On a Subaru SX17, where does the tube from the primer "pump" connect on the carburator?
Original Message   Nov 22, 2013 8:14 pm
To make a long story short, I had to remove the metal shield protecting the crankcase cover and the carburator. As I was getting ready to reinstall the shield, I noticed that the tube from the primer pump was no longer connected to the carburator. (I'm not really sure just how it came off in the first place.) For the life of me, I cannot figure out where it attaches on the carb.

This message was modified Nov 23, 2013 by LazerFlash
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
LazerFlash

Re: On a Subaru SX17, where does the tube from the primer "pump" connect on the carburator?
Reply #1   Nov 23, 2013 8:32 pm
I decided that I really needed to figure this one out. So, I researched priming bulbs/pumps and determined that the SX17 engine has the kind of priming system where pressing the bulb creates a negative pressure in the carburator which pulls gas into it from the fuel tank. I put on my glasses and got out the high-powered halogen work light and found out that the hole in the first picture was actually bored at an angle!

I was able to carefully reinsert the brass fitting into that hole and was then able to prime and start the snowblower.

Apparently, when the heat shield is installed, there is enough tension on the rubber tube to hold it in place. This seems like a poor piece of engineering, but it obviously works.
trouts2

Re: On a Subaru SX17, where does the tube from the primer "pump" connect on the carburator?
Reply #2   Nov 26, 2013 9:09 am
   I don't get the pictures.  The hole seems to be through a black plate that is probably close to the carb and the fitting goes through that to the carb body. ?? 

Is the carb detached in the pictures?  I can't see where the fitting would go once through the black plate.

An exploded view of that carb shows a tube sticking out on the carb body above the level of the screw that hold on the carb.  I don't see the hole on your carb pictures where the fitting would fit into.

That aside, all the fittings I've ever seen on Tecumseh and Briggs engines were pressed into the carb body and not meant to come out.  Often the prime hose will stick to the fitting and has to be pried off  but I've never had a fitting budge. 

From your description it seems like you found the hose dangling and the fitting attached to the hose.  That is not seem right.  The fitting should be pressed in and not move.  The hose slips on the fitting and is clamped on.  To get the carb out you would back off the clamp and pull of the hose from the fitting.  The fitting should should not move.   It seems like there was a manufacturing/assembly mistake and your fitting not pressed in correctly.  The fit is loose enough that the fitting can vibrate out.  If you are on warranty bring it back.  If not you could glue the fitting in. 
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42