Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Toro 721R-C Commercial Single Stage Snowblower with 212cc engine.

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
aa335

Toro 721R-C Commercial Single Stage Snowblower with 212cc engine.
Original Message   Nov 2, 2013 10:33 am
A lot of SS now comes with 200cc engines.  This new model from Toro should level the playing field.  Toro's new 721R-C 212cc SS snowblower. 

http://www.toro.com/en-us/professional-contractor/snow-removal/single-stage/pages/model.aspx?pid=power-clear-commercial-721r-c-38751
This message was modified Nov 2, 2013 by aa335
Replies: 1 - 19 of 19View as Outline
slinger

Re: Toro 721R-C Commercial Single Stage Snowblower with 212cc engine.
Reply #1   Nov 2, 2013 7:51 pm
Do you expect that they will eventually add 721R-C with Q, Z & E options? I'm really surprised to see that in a more "ruggedized" unit that they don't include the zip deflector at least. Are we to garner from this that the lowly friction-type deflector is the more dependable way to go? Has anyone out there ever had trouble with their zip deflector (or quick chute, for that matter)? I noticed that some other brands of SS were using a polymer paddle instead of the standard rubber one. Wonder if that's what is being employed here? So now Toro has 721, 621, 418,& power shovel offerings in SS design. They are getting as bad as Ariens is in the 2 stage department!
jrtrebor

Reply #2   Nov 2, 2013 8:56 pm

One thing I noticed.  (after clicking on link then on "Features" then on the "engine").
Was that it appears that the muffler is simply going to vent under the cover.
The muffler itself is mounted right above the center of the engine.
Not out to the side as with most blowers.

aa335

Reply #3   Nov 2, 2013 9:29 pm
The muffler looks like it's too tall to fit under the cowl.  Perhaps this is just a representative engine shot, not the actual one in the snowblower.
jrtrebor

Reply #4   Nov 2, 2013 9:39 pm
aa335 wrote:
The muffler looks like it's too tall to fit under the cowl.  Perhaps this is just a representative engine shot, not the actual one in the snowblower.

I think your probably right .  I found this photo
and it looks as though the muffler might be venting out the left side.

aa335

Reply #5   Nov 2, 2013 9:42 pm
slinger wrote:
Are we to garner from this that the lowly friction-type deflector is the more dependable way to go? Has anyone out there ever had trouble with their zip deflector (or quick chute, for that matter)? I noticed that some other brands of SS were using a polymer paddle instead of the standard rubber one. Wonder if that's what is being employed here?

My 14 year old Honda SS has the friction deflector. when adjusted properly, it is dependable and consistent. 

For the 721R paddles, it's probably cord/fiber reinforced rubber but thicker than the residential version.

I can't remember, but either Simplicity or Ariens had the molded rubber or polymer paddles.  It was expensive.  Surprising, it did not perform better.  :)  Looks good though.

I'm not sure which models now have the polymer paddles.  The only ones I've seen are on the electric single stage.  I prefer the rubber paddles, more flexible, conforms to the pavement, and wipes clean.
joed

Reply #6   Dec 18, 2013 10:08 pm
Has anybody had anymore experience with this new commercial unit?   I have a one year old 221QZE that I bought last year brand new.  It's a 2010 model.  I was thinking of trading it on on the commercial unit but I wanted to get some reviews first.
aa335

Reply #7   Dec 19, 2013 12:07 am
I wouldn't trade that 221QZE.  Hold on that baby.  That's the last one of its breed.  2 stroke Toro's are highly desirable.  Love the sound of that engine.

The 721R-C performance should be better than anything Toro has made so far.  I'm confident of that.  Toro should produce a 721QZE version though.
slinger

Reply #8   Dec 21, 2013 10:04 am
aa335 wrote:
Toro should produce a 721QZE version though.

That's the SS I'm going to hold out for. Hopefully within the next season or so.
niper99

Reply #9   Dec 21, 2013 8:47 pm
Toro finally caved in and went Chinese!!! LOL... Although so far these engines are holding up well..
ralphfr

Reply #10   Jan 21, 2014 10:00 am
Was curious about the possibility of getting a QZE version of the 721 so I asked Toro directly. Here is their reply for anyone interested. It looks like it's a real possibility.

1/21/2014

Thank you for contacting The Toro Company.

We currently have no plans to add more features to the 721 this season. However, we have received many requests for these features for next years models. We recommend checking back during the summer when we unveil our new models for next year.

We appreciate the opportunity to assist you. If you have any further questions, feel free to contact us.

Sincerely,

Zachary

Customer Care Representative

Case Number 2615855

ralphfr

Reply #11   Jan 21, 2014 10:05 am
aa335 wrote:
I wouldn't trade that 221QZE.  Hold on that baby.  That's the last one of its breed.  2 stroke Toro's are highly desirable.  Love the sound of that engine.

The 721R-C performance should be better than anything Toro has made so far.  I'm confident of that.  Toro should produce a 721QZE version though.

Does anyone know what a lightly used 2010 221QZE would fetch? I love this machine but I don't like smelling like burnt oil. Plus I'd rather change oil once a season than make 2-stroke mix. If I could get a decent number for it the 721 could be in my furture. Thanks.
MN_Runner

Reply #12   Jan 21, 2014 7:33 pm
ralphfr wrote:
Does anyone know what a lightly used 2010 221QZE would fetch? I love this machine but I don't like smelling like burnt oil. Plus I'd rather change oil once a season than make 2-stroke mix. If I could get a decent number for it the 721 could be in my furture. Thanks.

I will give you $100 and you pay for my tolls from MSP to NYC. Do we have a deal?  It might take me a year to show up.
ralphfr

Reply #13   Jan 22, 2014 7:50 am
You don't need to do that. I'll just ship it to you!
aa335

Reply #14   Jan 25, 2014 2:48 am
ralphfr wrote:

It is probably ranges from $400-$500.  Depends on if someone really want the electric start and the Quick Chute, you may get $500 for it. 

I've not had any problems with 2 stroke smell.  I'm using semi synthetic 2 stroke oil, no smell at all.  You may want to give that a try.  Mixing oil isn't that bad.  I have a separate 2 1/2 gallon container for mixing.  Takes less time to mix than to clean up after an oil change.  I get 2 or 3 mixes per season and it's still faster than an oil change.  Also, with 2 stroke oil mixed, the engine is always getting fresh oil, versus 4 stroke where the oil degrades over time. 

I think Toro should seriously consider making the 721 RC with the Quick Chute features, that is unless they feel that it isn't robust enough to stand up to commercial use.  It's about $20 in plastic parts and cables that they charge $100 for.  I don't see the need for an electric start, just the QZ feature would be fine.
aa335

Reply #15   Jan 25, 2014 2:49 am
MN_Runner wrote:
I will give you $100 and you pay for my tolls from MSP to NYC. Do we have a deal?  It might take me a year to show up.

Are you walking or riding your bike?  :)
MN_Runner

Reply #16   Jan 25, 2014 8:44 am
aa335 wrote:
Are you walking or riding your bike?  :)

Don't give me any ideas. It is an interesting option to bike there and pull it back. No mas for me.
ralphfr

Reply #17   Jan 25, 2014 2:41 pm
aa335 wrote:
It is probably ranges from $400-$500.  Depends on if someone really want the electric start and the Quick Chute, you may get $500 for it. 

That would make it feasible. I guess I'm reacting to the siren's song of more power. I've had no issues with this machine and do enjoy using it so it won't be any easy decision. I guess I'll wait and see how dependable the 721 is in the long run. I'd kick myself if I upgraded and starting having issues.
I've not had any problems with 2 stroke smell.  I'm using semi synthetic 2 stroke oil, no smell at all.  You may want to give that a try.  Mixing oil isn't that bad.  I have a separate 2 1/2 gallon container for mixing.  Takes less time to mix than to clean up after an oil change.  I get 2 or 3 mixes per season and it's still faster than an oil change.  Also, with 2 stroke oil mixed, the engine is always getting fresh oil, versus 4 stroke where the oil degrades over time. 
     I've toyed with the idea of using Amsoil 100-1. Currently I'm using RedMax which is what the dealer recommended but since my warranty is up I'd like to try something with less smell. The annoying part about mixing the fuel/oil is that I usually wait until it's snows or about to snow. I have it in my head that mixing it at the last minute is the best approach because of the ethanol. Since I'm buying the gas in advance and mixing it with stabilizer it probably makes no difference when I mix it. May need to change my approach and just mix a batch when I buy my gas for the winter.
I think Toro should seriously consider making the 721 RC with the Quick Chute features, that is unless they feel that it isn't robust enough to stand up to commercial use.  It's about $20 in plastic parts and cables that they charge $100 for.  I don't see the need for an electric start, just the QZ feature would be fine.
     I read on another site that they were getting complaints from the commercials about it freezing up on them. Mine has never frozen on me but I'm only out there for an hour or two. This past storm ION the temps were single digits with lots of wind and it still didn't freeze. I did take the precaution of spraying the chute, cable and handle slide with silicone. I have a bad back so I thought the elect start would be a good idea. Tested it once and haven't used it since. The QZ feature is deal breaker/must have for me.

Always a pleasure and thank you for your input.

Regards

Ralph

This message was modified Jan 25, 2014 by ralphfr
aa335

Reply #18   Jan 25, 2014 6:03 pm
The 721 should be dependable without a doubt.  I'm sure that the predecessor 421 and 621 has all the bugs worked out.  It's not like the 721 is a brand new unproven design.

By the way, if you're mixing 2 stroke oil with gas, there's no need to use stabilizer.  The  2 stroke oil already has it. 

I don't mind 2 stroke and mixing oil.  I wish that my lawnmower is 2 stroke.   I don't like changing oil on a lawnmower.  It's just awkward and messy.
slinger

Reply #19   Feb 10, 2014 9:32 am
aa335 wrote:
  I wish that my lawnmower is 2 stroke.   I don't like changing oil on a lawnmower.  It's just awkward and messy.

I've got a 25 year old Toro Recycler with the aluminum deck and Suzuki 2 cycle engine. Still starts first pull and runs strong. Best mower I've ever had...and that includes my newer 30" Timemaster.
Replies: 1 - 19 of 19View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42