Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens hard starting when warm

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
njbenz79

Ariens hard starting when warm
Original Message   Oct 28, 2013 10:57 am
Hi,

I have an Ariens ST27LE with the briggs 1350 305 engine.  I am having an odd starting issue.  The engine will start on the first pull (after priming and setting the choke) with no problem when the engine is cold.  If I have to stop for any reason and re-start the engine it takes 3-5 pulls and fiddling with the choke to get it to re-start when the engine is warm.  Spark plug is only a year old.  It has been doing this for the past two years and it is really getting annoying.  We have the same ariens at work and it always starts right back up.  Any ideas?
Replies: 1 - 9 of 9View as Outline
Shryp

Re: Ariens hard starting when warm
Reply #1   Oct 28, 2013 1:08 pm
Probably just the lean EPA jetting. Just choke and and prime it as if it was cold and then turn the choke off after it starts. Most new engines are like that.
njbenz79

Reply #2   Oct 28, 2013 1:21 pm
When the engine is warm it doesn't matter if you choke it or prime it, it still won't start right away.  We have 3 identical machines here at work and they all start on the first pull whether cold or warm.
njbenz79

Reply #3   Oct 28, 2013 1:22 pm
Could this be something with the valves?
oldcrow

If it ain't broke, try harder

Reply #4   Oct 28, 2013 1:38 pm
Have you noticed any performance issues when the engine is up to temperature?
How long to do have to let the engine cool down before it starts normally again?

I'm thinking this is either a restricted carbeureter passage, or an intake valve problem. I'd check your valve clearances first, since that's the easiest of the two.

The valves on most Briggs engines are pretty easy to check/adjust, but the procedure is probably not in your owner's manual (go figure). Here's a link to the general steps involved. Just make sure you have the correct clearance values for your particular engine before you begin:

http://www.ehow.com/how_7535387_adjust-briggs-stratton-overhead-valves.html

If your machine has been doing this since new, it's possible the factory misadjusted the valves - it happens. Otherwise, probably just normal wear & tear.

If that doesn't help, try this:
Drop the float bowl - clean it if needed, and reinstall. Fill the lines with fuel system cleaner, then turn the engine over several times (ignition OFF) to create some vacuum. Electric starter is great for this. Let the cleaner sit inside the carb for a couple hours, then turn the engine over again. Drain the cleaner and reconnect your fuel tank.. If that doesn't get results after a couple start cycles, you may have to dismount the carb for a thorough cleaning. You can also try adding cleaner to your fuel tank. I've rarely had any success doing this, but it doesn't hurt to try.

If neither of the above work, post some more details and I'm sure someone familiar with your engine will chime in. Good luck.
This message was modified Oct 28, 2013 by oldcrow
oldcrow

If it ain't broke, try harder

Reply #5   Oct 28, 2013 1:54 pm
I'd also add that when adjusting your valves, a two-step (aka GO / NO-GO) feeler gauge simplifies the process and gives better results. HTH.
This message was modified Oct 28, 2013 by oldcrow
Sportsdog

Reply #6   Dec 15, 2013 4:15 pm
As with most start issues these days I would suspect a partially clogged carb. Since the introduction of ethanol into our fuel these type of issues have become most common. Even with fuel stabilizers gas will still accumulate water within a couple weeks. If you use fuel that is older than 3-4 weeks, you already have some water in your gas. They it out, leave a few cups of gas outside in a vented container like an empty soda bottle with the cap off. You will have visible water in the bottle after only a couple weeks. My guess is that the machines at work are used more often and have a quicker turnover in the fuel which keeps it fresh. I would try a carb clean out before anything else. The newer Briggs are pretty simple. You can put your model motor into a search engine and find a video that will walk you right through it. If this helps replace your gas can too. If my power equipment gas sits more than 3 weeks I dump it into my truck and refill can with fresh gas. No more performance issues since doing this. Good luck
niper99

Reply #7   Dec 18, 2013 10:06 pm
Sportsdog wrote:
As with most start issues these days I would suspect a partially clogged carb. Since the introduction of ethanol into our fuel these type of issues have become most common. Even with fuel stabilizers gas will still accumulate water within a couple weeks. If you use fuel that is older than 3-4 weeks, you already have some water in your gas. They it out, leave a few cups of gas outside in a vented container like an empty soda bottle with the cap off. You will have visible water in the bottle after only a couple weeks. My guess is that the machines at work are used more often and have a quicker turnover in the fuel which keeps it fresh. I would try a carb clean out before anything else. The newer Briggs are pretty simple. You can put your model motor into a search engine and find a video that will walk you right through it. If this helps replace your gas can too. If my power equipment gas sits more than 3 weeks I dump it into my truck and refill can with fresh gas. No more performance issues since doing this. Good luck

I Highly agree with sportsdog...
friiy

Reply #8   Dec 28, 2013 11:59 pm
I think if it was valves the unit would be a real dog when hot, very low on power (tight valves). Or pull your arm damn near off from kickback (loose valves). Clean the main jet, see what happens. Good Luck, Friiy
borat

Reply #9   Dec 29, 2013 9:22 am
Try a compression test to see if the valves are out of adjustment.  I have a 305cc B&S Kool bore engine  on my Simplicity.  Starts first pull every time.  Compression was around 120 psi using electric start when I checked it after adjusting the valves a couple years ago.   I personally suspect a fuel issue.  The low speed (idle) circuit might be compromised.  I'd clean the carb first then check/adjust the valves.  When I adjusted mine after maybe 150 hours or so, they were slightly tight however, not enough to effect starting or performance. 
This message was modified Dec 29, 2013 by borat
Replies: 1 - 9 of 9View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42