Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Honda HS621 restoration

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jrtrebor

Honda HS621 restoration
Original Message   Oct 27, 2013 8:57 pm
Well here is my most recent find.  Actually I bought it at an auction back in August.
But didn't get around to restoring it until earlier this month.
It was pretty rough but started on the second pull. So figured it
was worth the 40.00 I paid for it.

The upper handle was pretty messed up.  So I replaced it with one that I kept around from and old Toro CCR2000.
It bolted right up and was also a little longer than the stock Honda handle.  Which is nice.

Stripped and repainted the muffler cover.  As well as the lower handles.

The blower housing sides needed quite a bit of straighting.  Also welded on a small piece of steel onto the bottom of the left  side
where it had been worn off.  Not adding the piece would have allowed snow and water to get inside what is the belt and pulley
compartment.  That would not be good.  Installed a new set of paddles and a new scraper that I bought on ebay for $53.00

Cleaned up everything inside.  Have to say that these blower are really well built.  The steel used for the bucket and the
undercarriage is heavy gauge.  Actually the undercarriage is plate steel.  The bracket between the engine and the bucket
is like something you would find in a automobile.

Sandblasted the bucket and sealed some of the joints with auto Spot putty.  Gave it two coats of Rustoleum Red oxide primer.
Then two top coats of Krylon Tough Rust semi gloss.  I did end up giving the center interior section of the housing another
coat of black Rustoleum Hammer finish.  That gave it a smoother, slicker finish and that paint if extremely durable.
That is also what I painted the auger with.

Didn't do much else other than check the carb bowl for dirt or signs of water. 
Replaced the plug, oil was good and clean.  Belt was good.  So it's ready to go.

In case some of you noticed there is a modification that I made.  I designed a chute rotator system for it.
Which I will show in another thread.

This message was modified Jan 2, 2014 by a moderator
Replies: 1 - 78 of 78View as Outline
aa335

Re: Honda HS621 restoration
Reply #1   Oct 28, 2013 12:51 am
You got quite a sleeper deal on that HS621.  Some people would pay more than $40 for that GX160 engine alone.  You did a really nice job cleaning it up to show room condition.  I like the electric rotation you put on it.  Looking forward to the details.  I always enjoy seeing the extra things you put into your machines.

As you may remember, I went through the same process of restoring my 10 year old HS621 about 3 years ago.  It was stripped down to bare metal and repainted.  I didn't have a sand blaster so it was slow and tedious with a angle grinder and a wire wheel.  It was well worth it and it is still a great snowblower to work on. Just taking it apart I had an appreciation on how well made this machine was.  I had an itch to modify to increase its power.  I had thought about putting a larger GX200 engine, which has the same engine block, mounting dimensions, but with larger displacement with longer piston stroke, just to get more power out of it.  I also thought about putting in some kind of remote chute rotation.  I decided to keep it all stock.  It's such a great machine that I thought to leave it alone and just bring it back to the condition when I bought it.  It was good enough for me.

Every once in a while, I have an urge to look through craigslist to find another HS621 to buy and restore.  I really enjoy working on it but I don't have the place to store it.  And even after I restore it, I just don't have the heart to sell it.  I'm in the process of organizing my garage and I am avoiding creating any more clutter or junk. 

Did you repaint the plastic cowl and the belt cover?  Or just buff out the small scratches?  They look really shiny.   My plastic cowls and belt cover were scratched up so I used Krylon Fusion paint.  The color was a little off and more muted, not as bright and shiny as yours.
GtWtNorth

https://t.me/pump_upp

Reply #2   Oct 28, 2013 9:44 am
jrtrebor, very nice find! especially at that price. How do you do it? Are you known as the snow blower guy in your area so everyone tells you about the deals. I'm jealous.
A great refurb also. I have the same questions as aa335 about how you treated the plastic cowl and added the rotator.

aa335 - how is the plastic paint holding up on your machine after 3 years? I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Cheers
Paul

aa335

Reply #3   Oct 28, 2013 12:27 pm
The Krylon Fusion has been holding up fine. It is made to remain flexible with plastic. My HS621 is now a garage queen so it doesn't see as much usage as the other two workhorse Democrats. The HS621 is now the Republican baby boomer enjoying retirement.  At this pace, it's going to be at least 20 years before I have to do any restoration on it.
This message was modified Oct 28, 2013 by aa335
jrtrebor

Reply #4   Oct 28, 2013 6:25 pm
aa335 wrote:
You got quite a sleeper deal on that HS621.  Some people would pay more than $40 for that GX160 engine alone.  You did a really nice job cleaning it up to show room condition.  I like the electric rotation you put on it.  Looking forward to the details.  I always enjoy seeing the extra things you put into your machines.

As you may remember, I went through the same process of restoring my 10 year old HS621 about 3 years ago.  It was stripped down to bare metal and repainted.  I didn't have a sand blaster so it was slow and tedious with a angle grinder and a wire wheel.  It was well worth it and it is still a great snowblower to work on. Just taking it apart I had an appreciation on how well made this machine was.  I had an itch to modify to increase its power.  I had thought about putting a larger GX200 engine, which has the same engine block, mounting dimensions, but with larger displacement with longer piston stroke, just to get more power out of it.  I also thought about putting in some kind of remote chute rotation.  I decided to keep it all stock.  It's such a great machine that I thought to leave it alone and just bring it back to the condition when I bought it.  It was good enough for me.

Every once in a while, I have an urge to look through craigslist to find another HS621 to buy and restore.  I really enjoy working on it but I don't have the place to store it.  And even after I restore it, I just don't have the heart to sell it.  I'm in the process of organizing my garage and I am avoiding creating any more clutter or junk. 

Did you repaint the plastic cowl and the belt cover?  Or just buff out the small scratches?  They look really shiny.   My plastic cowls and belt cover were scratched up so I used Krylon Fusion paint.  The color was a little off and more muted, not as bright and shiny as yours.

Thanks aa335 your right the engine alone was worth the $40.  I do remember you talking about your blower and how pleased you
were with it.  I was hoping to run across a GX200 to put on it, but no luck there.  These blowers are a joy to work on.
Simple straight forward, quality parts and fasteners.  I think you can break the whole thing down in about 20 minutes.
I did work on the plastic covers.  I've tried so many different things on those type of covers mainly Toros.
This time I took all the deep scratches out with a Red Scothbrite pad on a die grinder.  Then wet sanded the cover
using a variable speed dual orbiting sander.  I think I used 1500 and then 3000 grit paper.
Then waxed it.   That plastic or vinyl is strange stuff to work with.  I'd really like to know what type of material it is.

jrtrebor

Reply #5   Oct 28, 2013 6:41 pm
GtWtNorth wrote:
jrtrebor, very nice find! especially at that price. How do you do it? Are you known as the snow blower guy in your area so everyone tells you about the deals. I'm jealous.
A great refurb also. I have the same questions as aa335 about how you treated the plastic cowl and added the rotator.

Thanks very much.
I watch a lot of online auctions the the area.  Every once in a while I get lucky.
Seems that people sometimes tend to shy away from blowers that look really beat.
I think in this case the price of Honda parts may have also played an part.
But as aa335 said, the engine alone was worth more that what I had to pay.
So I was thrilled to win the bid.
aa335

Reply #6   Oct 28, 2013 10:53 pm
jrtrebor wrote:
That plastic or vinyl is strange stuff to work with.  I'd really like to know what type of material it is.

I would guess it's polypropylene or a variant of Delrin.  Most likely polypropylene, essentially the same material as on milk jugs.  Pretty tough material for plastic housings.
MN_Runner

Reply #7   Oct 30, 2013 8:51 pm
jrtrebor wrote:
Thanks very much.
I watch a lot of online auctions the the area.  Every once in a while I get lucky.
Seems that people sometimes tend to shy away from blowers that look really beat.
I think in this case the price of Honda parts may have also played an part.
But as aa335 said, the engine alone was worth more that what I had to pay.
So I was thrilled to win the bid.

Beautiful work and I am glad I can watch your work. I wish I had 1% of your talent!
blumonster

Reply #8   Nov 28, 2013 6:13 am
MN_Runner wrote:

Beautiful work and I am glad I can watch your work. I wish I had 1% of your talent!

I wish I had 100% of your talent.
aa335

Reply #9   Dec 6, 2013 4:56 pm
Talent is only used 1% of the time, the rest is sweat, banging, and swearing. 
This message was modified Dec 6, 2013 by aa335
niper99

Reply #10   Dec 7, 2013 9:04 pm
Nice job!!!
GtWtNorth

Reply #11   Dec 10, 2013 9:02 am
aa335 wrote:

Yup, that seems about right for me!

MN_Runner

Reply #12   Dec 21, 2013 8:03 am
@jrtrebor, Have you had a chance to try out the Honda HS621? What did you think? Did it meet you expectation? The OEM rubber parts for HS520 are fairly cheap (1/2 price of OEM rubber peddles for HS621). Did you go with the OEM rubber peddles? Please tell us about your new toy.
blumonster

Reply #13   Dec 25, 2013 8:54 am
aa335 wrote:

Swearing is what I did when my HS621 did not blow snow. It is clogged constantly. The paddles, scraper are all new. Bought a new belt last year too. I have had to shovel instead since then. The new belt was not Honda OEM, so this week I got Honda belt. My question: How to install the belt so as not to cause constant clogging? Do I need to put it inside out?
MN_Runner

Reply #14   Dec 25, 2013 1:42 pm
Your belt tensioner may be out of adjustments. Not all power from the engine is being transferred. You will have to adjust the tensioner to maximize the power transfer. Try some youtube search. AA335 is an expert at this.
blumonster

Reply #15   Dec 25, 2013 2:00 pm
Hello and Merry Christmas MN_Runner, After last year's disappointment I haven't even started it this year. In addition to constantly clogging, I saw tiny parts of the belt on the snow and I smelled burnt belt. I don't know how I managed doing that. Talent is needed... Anyway I googled and all the related videos were not available for my newly acquired iPad mini. I will watch them on android. I miss my old HS35 which did a great job of clearing snow. In fact now I will go outside and shovel some more because it snowed today after yesterday's shoveling. Lots of exercise. :D
MN_Runner

Reply #16   Dec 25, 2013 2:57 pm
I used to have a lot of fancy for Honda HS621 but I am over it because my HS520 works so well without my much issues. I do not miss HS35 either, that was a beast and the parts were very expansive and difficult to obtain. OEM auger rubbers are only $40 shipped on HS520 compared to $80-$90 for HS621. I will go through these rubbers as I have concrete drive way and deck area. Maybe you can sell your old HS621 then get a HS520 or Toro 621. Happy holidays my friend!
jrtrebor

Reply #17   Dec 25, 2013 4:03 pm
blumonster wrote:
I saw tiny parts of the belt on the snow and I smelled burnt belt. I don't know how I managed doing that.

Sounds like either the tension pulley is getting at the belt.
Which could be because the pulley is out of alignment.
Or it could be the the belt is not routed correctly.
Usually there is a diagram on the inside of the belt cover on most
SS machines that show the correct way to route the belt.
On Toro's there is a post with a nylon sleeve on it.
If the belt doesn't get placed on the correct side of that post
it will eat belts.

The Honda's don't have that post. But they have a "Belt Keeper"
just in front of the crankshaft pulley. 
The Keeper has a "notch" in the top of it.  So it looks as if the belt should run over the top in that notch.
But in fact, it's supposed to run underneath the keeper as shown in the photo below.
  If it's run over the top your going to get binding, reduced power to
the auger and it's going to eat up your belt.
Just a thought.

jrtrebor

Reply #18   Dec 25, 2013 8:22 pm
MN_Runner wrote:
@jrtrebor, Have you had a chance to try out the Honda HS621? What did you think? Did it meet you expectation? The OEM rubber parts for HS520 are fairly cheap (1/2 price of OEM rubber peddles for HS621). Did you go with the OEM rubber peddles? Please tell us about your new toy.

I have had it out a couple of times.  Snow came early this year.
My thoughts.
It's got a Honda engine.  For anyone who's ever owned one that's almost all that needs to be said.
Super dependable, one pull under all conditions and regular gas. (no smell)

Lower DB level.  It's just purrs, instead of screaming.  That's kind of nice.

I've had it in snow over the top of the housing. Powered right thru. (fresh snow)
10" of EOD no problem (dense,wet on the bottom)

The powered chute works well. Haven't had any problems.
(did have a pin fall out that I forgot to drive in all the way)
Also the first and second time I used it.  I forgot and tried to spin the chute
with the handle.  It didn't like that.

It's throwing distance is at least as good as the Toro 5hp models.
It's a tighter stream that a Toro.
Also haven't had any problem with chute clogging with the wet stuff.

I didn't put OEM paddles on it.  As you said they are to expensive.
We will see how they wear.  But even if they don't last as long as OEMs.
I would still buy aftermarkets for the next set.
Think I paid $45.00 for the set and scraper on ebay.

aa335

Reply #19   Dec 25, 2013 11:07 pm
blumonster wrote:
I saw tiny parts of the belt on the snow and I smelled burnt belt. I don't know how I managed doing that. Talent is needed... Anyway I googled and all the related videos were not available for my newly acquired iPad mini. I will watch them on android. I miss my old HS35 which did a great job of clearing snow. In fact now I will go outside and shovel some more because it snowed today after yesterday's shoveling. Lots of exercise. :D

The HS621 is significantly better machine performance wise than the HS35.  However, the HS35 is quite an engineering design.  It is so stout and robust that it is begging for a much more powerful engine.  Unfortunately, such a design today would be highly cost prohibitive.  Even maintaining  the old HS35 in running shape is expensive already.

The symptoms of clogging and burn smell and bits of rubber on the inside are indicators of slipping belt.  Definitely a belt tension or routing issues.  jrtrebor is right on target with his assessment on the root cause.  The belt should be under that little tab next to the crank pulley.  While you have the belt cover open, I would look around to see if anything else needs attention.  Check the idler pulley to make sure that it is spinning without excessive play and not binding.  Also, the idler arm should pivoting smoothly without and excessive play.  Try spinning the auger without the belt engaged and check for any binding there as well.  Problems might be a seized or worn out auger shaft bearing.  That's pretty much it.  These older Honda are quite well built and they are a joy to work on.  Most problems can be easily taken care while the belt cover is off.
This message was modified Dec 26, 2013 by aa335
aa335

Reply #20   Dec 25, 2013 11:22 pm
jrtrebor wrote:

It's throwing distance is at least as good as the Toro 5hp models.
It's a tighter stream that a Toro.
Also haven't had any problem with chute clogging with the wet stuff.

My experience with the HS621 is the same as yours.  The HS621 isn't a throwing distance champion compared to today's Toro's.  However, it still has the tightest stream of any SS snowblower, right up there with the HS520.  It gives up bit of throwing distance, but what it does superior to the newer Toro is in the slush.  The flat center paddle will pump the packed slush up the chute even up the point of stalling the engine.  The Toro will sometimes clog at the chute.

The other day I was out clearing a 1 1/2 inch of really wet snow.  I used the Toro 421QE.  None of my neighbors even bothered with using a snowblower, it would be useless.  The Toro did clogged several times and I thought retiring the Toro and bring out the Honda HS621 to do the slush clearing.  It would be superior to any snowblower for this kind of stuff, except for an older Toro S620 with the flat paddles.  I kept the Toro on to finish the job because I was a little lazy and feel like having two dripping wet snowblowers in my garage.  :) 
This message was modified Dec 26, 2013 by aa335
aa335

Reply #21   Dec 26, 2013 11:54 am
MN_Runner wrote:
AA335 is an expert at this.

Thanks MN_Runner. 
blumonster

Reply #22   Dec 29, 2013 2:33 am
MN_Runner wrote:
I used to have a lot of fancy for Honda HS621 but I am over it because my HS520 works so well without my much issues. I do not miss HS35 either, that was a beast and the parts were very expansive and difficult to obtain. OEM auger rubbers are only $40 shipped on HS520 compared to $80-$90 for HS621. I will go through these rubbers as I have concrete drive way and deck area. Maybe you can sell your old HS621 then get a HS520 or Toro 621. Happy holidays my friend!

Parts might be pricy because Hs621 is not being sold currently in the US. I wonder if parts are cheaper in Canada?.. HS35 did work without a fuss. It is heavier than 621 or it felt heavier too. The chute could be controlled through its handle. I like and trust Japanese made items just because they are made in Japan. If they did not exist I would not even buy a snowblower or lawnmower. I have an old aluminum deck Honda mower too.
blumonster

Reply #23   Dec 29, 2013 2:37 am
jrtrebor wrote:
Sounds like either the tension pulley is getting at the belt.
Which could be because the pulley is out of alignment.
Or it could be the the belt is not routed correctly.
Usually there is a diagram on the inside of the belt cover on most
SS machines that show the correct way to route the belt.
On Toro's there is a post with a nylon sleeve on it.
If the belt doesn't get placed on the correct side of that post
it will eat belts.

The Honda's don't have that post. But they have a "Belt Keeper"
just in front of the crankshaft pulley. 
The Keeper has a "notch" in the top of it.  So it looks as if the belt should run over the top in that notch.
But in fact, it's supposed to run underneath the keeper as shown in the photo below.
  If it's run over the top your going to get binding, reduced power to
the auger and it's going to eat up your belt.
Just a thought.

Thanlk you for the help jtrebor. I opened it up yesterday and compared the current belt with the previous one and Honda belt. Honda belt is thinner than the other two, must be a belt issue. I tried it after putting the new belt although there was no new snow to clear. It worked fine. I will report back when we get new snowfall.
blumonster

Reply #24   Dec 29, 2013 2:44 am
aa335 wrote:
The HS621 is significantly better machine performance wise than the HS35.  However, the HS35 is quite an engineering design.  It is so stout and robust that it is begging for a much more powerful engine.  Unfortunately, such a design today would be highly cost prohibitive.  Even maintaining  the old HS35 in running shape is expensive already.

The symptoms of clogging and burn smell and bits of rubber on the inside are indicators of slipping belt.  Definitely a belt tension or routing issues.  jrtrebor is right on target with his assessment on the root cause.  The belt should be under that little tab next to the crank pulley.  While you have the belt cover open, I would look around to see if anything else needs attention.  Check the idler pulley to make sure that it is spinning without excessive play and not binding.  Also, the idler arm should pivoting smoothly without and excessive play.  Try spinning the auger without the belt engaged and check for any binding there as well.  Problems might be a seized or worn out auger shaft bearing.  That's pretty much it.  These older Honda are quite well built and they are a joy to work on.  Most problems can be easily taken care while the belt cover is off.

Thank you for the help, aa335. It was just the belt. I like it when the solution is simple. Augur spinned when turned by hand, though not super fast. Also noticed the free play on the handle, could not measure it as the manual described but it looked normal. Idler pulley was spinning fine. When the machine was tilted back, a pool of gas drained by itself on the ground. Is that how it should be when you tilt it?
jrtrebor

Reply #25   Dec 29, 2013 8:49 am

"Augur spinned when turned by hand, though not super fast".  "When the machine was tilted back, a pool of gas drained by itself on the ground. Is that how it should be when you tilt it"?

The Augers will not spin freely by hand unless you press down on the tension pulley a little.
Doing so lifts the "Pulley Brake arm" off the auger pulley.  Then the augers should spin freely,
especially if the belt is off the machine.
You can see the "Pulley Brake arm" (center left) in the photo.

The carbs. on these machines have a vent or drain hose.
Sometimes they will vent a little fuel when tipped back.
aa335

Reply #26   Jan 2, 2014 4:13 pm
blumonster wrote:
Thank you for the help, aa335. It was just the belt. I like it when the solution is simple. Augur spinned when turned by hand, though not super fast. Also noticed the free play on the handle, could not measure it as the manual described but it looked normal. Idler pulley was spinning fine. When the machine was tilted back, a pool of gas drained by itself on the ground. Is that how it should be when you tilt it?

I use the manual as a baseline for setting the tension.  It's kind of a guestimate for the play on the bail handle.  I just fine tune it from there, which is a just a notch tighter than stock.  Just make sure it is not too tight.  You will prematurely stretch the belt and not let the auger brake engage properly.

I have not seen any kind of fuel coming out of this snowblower.   Can't tell you if what you're seeing is normal.
This message was modified Jan 2, 2014 by aa335
MN_Runner

Reply #27   Jan 2, 2014 4:31 pm
aa335 wrote: I have not seen any kind of fuel coming out of this snowblower.   Can't tell you if what you're seeing is normal.

When my HS520 is tilted, there is a little gas that comes out and I can smell the fuel. I think it is normal like as confirmed by jetbrator.
niper99

Reply #28   Jan 5, 2014 1:36 am
blumonster wrote:

YES that's normal for fuel to come out when tilted..
blumonster

Reply #29   Jan 6, 2014 2:00 pm
Yesterday I was at my ex' place to pick the kids up. She had not cleared the snow on the driveway. I started the Hs35 after more than a year of sleep, it took me several pulls, when it started I cleared the driveway from hardened snow mixed with ice. I wonder at how this older machine does a better job than the hs621... The engine struggled when it faced with snow higher than the height of the snowblower body but snow was gone in 5 minutes.
aa335

Reply #30   Jan 6, 2014 3:08 pm
blumonster wrote:
Yesterday I was at my ex' place to pick the kids up. She had not cleared the snow on the driveway. I started the Hs35 after more than a year of sleep, it took me several pulls, when it started I cleared the driveway from hardened snow mixed with ice. I wonder at how this older machine does a better job than the hs621... The engine struggled when it faced with snow higher than the height of the snowblower body but snow was gone in 5 minutes.

That would be surprising if the HS621 didn't perform better the HS35.  Did you had a chance to try out the HS621 after the belt problems were taken care of?
blumonster

Reply #31   Jan 7, 2014 5:30 am
aa335 wrote:
That would be surprising if the HS621 didn't perform better the HS35.  Did you had a chance to try out the HS621 after the belt problems were taken care of?

Hi aa335, I tried HS621 and it works but maybe because of different paddle material, chute type or auger design hs35 throws snow further than hs621. Both paddle sets were bought and installed at the same time. Hs621 is lighter than hs35, hs 621 is easy to slide, move; hs35 is heavier like a tank. Or it might be all my subjective perception... Something is not there with my hs621 or it is because i do not own hs35 anymore....
NJhonda

Reply #32   Jan 9, 2014 8:01 am
hi all. First post here. I too scored a Craigslist HS624 for a pricey sum of $50. The guy stored it dry so all it needed was new paddle rubber, oil and gas. Fired right up and has been throwing snow for 4 years for me and never missed a beat.. and puched thru 12" wet snow and never stalled. Amazing machine. I am looking for another to buy in case I wear mine out.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v665/ ... C06542.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v665/ ... C06541.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v665/ ... C06540.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v665/ ... C06539.jpg

This message was modified Jan 9, 2014 by NJhonda
blumonster

Reply #33   Jan 10, 2014 12:18 pm
50 for this sophisticated machine is a great deal. Appears to be in good shape too. Welcome to the forum!
This message was modified Jan 10, 2014 by blumonster
aa335

Reply #34   Jan 10, 2014 2:39 pm
NJHonda,

Welcome to the forum.  Your snowblower bought at $50 is a quite a scam.  The seller should have given it away free rather than ask $50 for it.  That's just wrong!    Anyways, I guess it is your gain. 
Anyways, I also have an HS621.  I took off all of those Warning/Danger stickers.  Looks a lot better.

This message was modified Jan 10, 2014 by aa335
NJhonda

Reply #35   Jan 10, 2014 11:12 pm
I know. I was gonna talk him down to $40 but did not have the heart :)
This message was modified Jan 10, 2014 by NJhonda
NJhonda

Reply #36   Jan 11, 2014 3:38 pm
I just found another HS621 and am picking it up saturday. its a under 25 hour MINT almost new never been outside the heated garage except to throw a little snow :) I've been looking for a mint like new one for a while and I found it.. 2.5 hour drive and its mine :) Ill post pics. Yes I paid quite a bit more then $50 :)
aa335

Reply #37   Jan 11, 2014 11:48 pm
NJhonda wrote:
I just found another HS621 and am picking it up saturday. its a under 25 hour MINT almost new never been outside the heated garage except to throw a little snow :) I've been looking for a mint like new one for a while and I found it.. 2.5 hour drive and its mine :) Ill post pics. Yes I paid quite a bit more then $50 :)

Hope it comes up as a cream puff and not a lemon.  I'm pretty sure it's more than $50, just in gas money driving to and fro.
NJhonda

Reply #38   Jan 12, 2014 1:10 pm
We shall see. The pics he sent me, it looks 'show worthy" :)
MN_Runner

Reply #39   Jan 12, 2014 2:07 pm
aa335 wrote:
I'm pretty sure it's more than $50, just in gas money driving to and fro.

Is he driving from NJ to buy your HS621? Roundtrip tolls will be more than $50 from NJ.
NJhonda

Reply #40   Jan 12, 2014 4:53 pm
MN_Runner wrote:
Is he driving from NJ to buy your HS621? Roundtrip tolls will be more than $50 from NJ.

what are you talking about? its not anyone here and toll from NJ to where it is is no more then $10
This message was modified Jan 12, 2014 by NJhonda
MN_Runner

Reply #41   Jan 12, 2014 6:29 pm
NJhonda wrote:
what are you talking about? its not anyone here and toll from NJ to where it is is no more then $10

It was a joke @AA335 because he has a really nice unit. I was making a joke that you were driving out from NJ to Chicago to pick it up hence the cost of the tolls will be a lot. I drive to DC from MSP and the roundtrip tolls are about $80-$100.
NJhonda

Reply #42   Jan 12, 2014 7:38 pm
Oh crap i am sorry. I did not know.. Anyway... Ill let you know if I was taken :)
aa335

Reply #43   Jan 12, 2014 7:46 pm
MN_Runner wrote:

My snowblower is not for sale.   
But the tolls through the Chicagoland area can be ridiculous.    Anyone who ever has to cross Chicago to get around Lake Michigan knows I-294 / I-94 has tolls coming up way too often.
GtWtNorth

Reply #44   Jan 13, 2014 9:55 am
Well, better to pay some tolls & have a good highway system than what is happening here in Quebec. They took tolls off the highways & bridges years ago and stopped doing maintenance. Now we've got overpasses falling down and the busiest bridge bridge in Canada (Champlain) in such poor shape that they frequently close it down or reduce the number of lanes so they can do emergency repairs!
Thank you very much to the separatists for keeping the focus of political activity on stupid issues (weather or not government workers should be allowed to wear religious symbols at work) rather than where it counts like health care, education & infrastructure.

NJhonda

Reply #45   Jan 19, 2014 3:28 pm
Ok guys just got back from a 5 hour round trip for my 'new' HS621. Its an under 25 hour machine that is perfect in every way.. I sold the old one for a new cost of $50 for the 'new' one. Here are the pics of it..

New one is on the left.

This message was modified Jan 19, 2014 by NJhonda
NJhonda

Reply #46   Jan 19, 2014 3:32 pm

aa335

Reply #47   Jan 19, 2014 4:57 pm
NJhonda wrote:
I sold the old one for a new cost of $50 for the 'new' one.

I don't understand what you mean here. 

Anyways, that's a ridiculously awesome find.  Very nice !  That machine was probably stuck in a time capsule for the last 12 years.  Did it come shiny like that or has it been Armorall-ed?

How much did you pay for this one?
NJhonda

Reply #48   Jan 19, 2014 5:44 pm
aa335 wrote:
I don't understand what you mean here. 

Anyways, that's a ridiculously awesome find.  Very nice !  That machine was probably stuck in a time capsule for the last 12 years.  Did it come shiny like that or has it been Armorall-ed?

How much did you pay for this one?

What I mean is that I sold my 'old' one for $50 less then I paid for the 'new' one.:) So the 'new' one cost me, in reality, $50.

I did 'armor all' it. lol I thought some may think I lost my mind but I love my machines.

BTW- paid $450 for the new one and sold the old one for $400
This message was modified Jan 19, 2014 by NJhonda
aa335

Reply #49   Jan 19, 2014 6:51 pm
Very good deal.  The machine is immaculate.  Well worth the time and cost.  By the serial number, your HS621 is actually older than mine.  Probably a 1996-1997 production date.

Looks good with the armorall.   You sure treat your equipment better than other people treat their cars.  
This message was modified Jan 19, 2014 by aa335
NJhonda

Reply #50   Jan 19, 2014 7:07 pm
aa335 wrote:
Very good deal.  The machine is immaculate.  Well worth the time and cost.  By the serial number, your HS621 is actually older than mine.  Probably a 1996-1997 production date.

Looks good with the armorall.   You sure treat your equipment better than other people treat their cars.  

Thanks!! You aught to see our cars lol
NJhonda

Reply #51   Jan 19, 2014 7:09 pm
aa335 wrote:

Your thinking mine is about 17-18 years old? niceee
jrtrebor

Reply #52   Jan 19, 2014 10:32 pm
NJhonda wrote:
So the 'new' one cost me, in reality, $50.
BTW- paid $450 for the new one and sold the old one for $400

Actually the new one cost you $100.00
Which is still an extremely good deal.
You sold your old one for $400.
But you paid $50 for it.
So your profit was $350.
$350 from $450 is $100

Moderator Denis

Reply #53   Jan 20, 2014 5:51 am
Awesome job, It reminds me my old 1984 Ariens restoration, cleaning, sanding, buffing, scrape, wipe, prime, paint,
add new parts, that's a couples of hours of big work. But the thing that made me smile was the first
snowfall and take out the bull to work

NJhonda

Reply #54   Jan 20, 2014 7:26 am
jrtrebor wrote:
Actually the new one cost you $100.00
Which is still an extremely good deal.
You sold your old one for $400.
But you paid $50 for it.
So your profit was $350.
$350 from $450 is $100

Actually using it for 4 years I can clearly say that the initial $50 cost has been absorbed :)
aa335

Reply #55   Jan 20, 2014 12:56 pm
NJhonda wrote:
Your thinking mine is about 17-18 years old? niceee

I'm guessing it's around that age, maybe a bit older.  There's a forum member here that works for Honda that may be able to find out the exact month and year of manufacture from the serial number of your HS621.  In any case, your machine looks like it only actually moved snow for one season and did a Rip Van Winkle all these years until now.  Hopefully the fuel lines and all rubber components are not dried out and are brittle.
aa335

Reply #56   Jan 20, 2014 1:03 pm
NJhonda wrote:

Actually using it for 4 years I can clearly say that the initial $50 cost has been absorbed :)

Yeah.  It's like you've been loaned a Ferrari to drive, all you have to do is add gas and tires. 
NJhonda

Reply #57   Jan 20, 2014 1:22 pm
aa335 wrote:
I'm guessing it's around that age, maybe a bit older.  There's a forum member here that works for Honda that may be able to find out the exact month and year of manufacture from the serial number of your HS621.  In any case, your machine looks like it only actually moved snow for one season and did a Rip Van Winkle all these years until now.  Hopefully the fuel lines and all rubber components are not dried out and are brittle.

Went over the whole machine and its like new. He used mobil 1 and drained the carb after every use, and kept it in a heated garage. Its truly a perfect machine :)
This message was modified Jan 20, 2014 by NJhonda
robertcoats

Reply #58   Jan 20, 2014 4:25 pm
aa335 wrote:

I can only access digital records back so far, (about 1999-2000) and mfg. dates / serial numbers older than that are probably on some little white metric-sized index cards in the basement of the factory in Japan. The HS621 was introduced to the USA market about 1992, and discontinued in 1998.

Unlike mowers, which get used every year, snowblowers can last for decades, as they don't get used every year in many locations. Still, it is awesome to see equipment 25-30 years old still in use. 

-Robert@Honda
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.
NJhonda

Reply #59   Jan 20, 2014 4:42 pm
Thanks Robert. You maybe know me from other forums under my same name and NJsnapper. Thanks again.. Never have too many Hoondas. I have a mower, a powerwasher and a snow blower Honda powered.
NJhonda

Reply #60   Jan 21, 2014 8:37 am
Looks like Ill be trying out the new HS621 later today and tomorrow. Looks like 10"-12" here later today
jrtrebor

Reply #61   Jan 21, 2014 3:44 pm
NJhonda wrote:

I hear what you're saying.
But that doesn't change the math.
RIT333

Reply #62   Jan 21, 2014 5:05 pm
jrtrebor wrote:
I hear what you're saying.
But that doesn't change the math.
I guess we can assume that he doesn't work for the IRS !
NJhonda

Reply #63   Jan 21, 2014 7:00 pm
I guess if you count the spark plug and gas i used in the old one too you can say i paid even more for the new one.. geeze..
jrtrebor

Reply #64   Jan 22, 2014 9:15 am
NJhonda wrote:
I guess if you count the spark plug and gas i used in the old one too you can say i paid even more for the new one.. geeze..

No, I wouldn't say that.  Those things are considered maintenance and operating costs.
That's different.

I know it's not a big deal. I only made the comment to clarify things for
others that haven't read all the posts.
aa335

Reply #65   Jan 25, 2014 2:52 am
NJhonda wrote:

Even if you were off by $100, that is still an awesome machine you got at those prices.  :)  That's why I'm not nick picking.
NJhonda

Reply #66   Jan 25, 2014 8:20 am
Here is my Son giving the mint 621 a workout. BTW- its all original. All the way from the spark plug and belt and paddles.

GtWtNorth

Reply #67   Jan 25, 2014 9:38 am
I wonder if he appreciates what a great machine it is? By the way is he having so much fun that he wanted to do the sidewalk too, or are you responsible for the stretch on your property?

NJhonda

Reply #68   Jan 25, 2014 10:29 am
Oh he does. He took the 5 hour trip with me to get it and hes right there when I work on it. I like to do all the sidewalks and about 7-10 driveways in my neighborhood of older people to help em out
GtWtNorth

Reply #69   Jan 26, 2014 8:49 am
Poor kid, you've passed the OPE flu to him. Soon he'll be wandering the streets on garbage day looking for a fix,  and then he'll start posting here! So sad.

Cheers
Paul

NJhonda

Reply #70   Jan 27, 2014 6:58 am
so true Paul.~
Robertbarr

Reply #71   Feb 2, 2014 3:53 pm
I bought one of these used for $225 twelve years ago.  What a machine.  It's dealt with Chicago winters ever since.  They're a little heavy -- about a hundred pounds -- but that big Honda GX engine thumping away gets the job done.

A friend of mine found an HS621 at the curb on trash day.  Cosmetically near perfect, ran fine.  Paddles were a bit worn but still usable.  Needless to say, he snagged it and has been using it ever since.
NJhonda

Reply #72   Feb 3, 2014 8:50 am
These are truly one of the very best of the best SS blowers ever made. Nod the plastic Chinese crap that is out there today.. I HAD to locate a low hour unit and I was luck enough to do that. it will be in my family for generations now
This message was modified Feb 3, 2014 by NJhonda
blumonster

Reply #73   Feb 10, 2014 11:38 am
The best of the best of the ... İn single stage territory İs still Honda HS 35 . Honda can put a stronger engine and reproduce HS35 and sell it for $5000.
NJhonda

Reply #74   Feb 10, 2014 12:07 pm
blumonster wrote:
The best of the best of the ... İn single stage territory İs still Honda HS 35 . Honda can put a stronger engine and reproduce HS35 and sell it for $5000.

But the fact remains the HS35 is the inferior 3.5 hp engine as compared the 621's 5.5 hp engine and the 621 throws way more snow furthur(32' vs. 21').. Seen and ran both. No comparison. Otherwise I would have bought a 35 :)
blumonster

Reply #75   Feb 10, 2014 12:15 pm
Had both, HS35 was more productive, did not feel it was less powered than 621.Mind you it is heavier, maybe a factor in its better handling.
This message was modified Feb 10, 2014 by blumonster
NJhonda

Reply #76   Feb 10, 2014 9:54 pm
blumonster wrote:
Had both, HS35 was more productive, did not feel it was less powered than 621.Mind you it is heavier, maybe a factor in its better handling.

within a few pounds of each other.(95 vs. 99 lbs). Weight basically the same. HP huge difference(60% more hp on the 621) and Honda rates the 621 in a whole nother league when it come to amount of tons per hour and throw distance. You had a sick 621 you were comparing. Its really not close
This message was modified Feb 11, 2014 by NJhonda
bruced_500

Reply #77   Dec 16, 2014 11:54 am
Hi all I'm looking for a reasonable priced salvageable auger for my HS621 , as I'm understanding the HS521 auger should work also? Is that correct ? So if anyone has a source for either of these like a local salvage yard or you have one sitting on the shelf and you want to get rid of it please let me know. thanks Bruce
jrtrebor

Reply #78   Dec 16, 2014 7:07 pm

Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-HS521-HS-521-HS621-Snowblower-Snowthrower-Auger-Assy-72400-747-A12-OEM-/330779201700?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d03fa10a4
Replies: 1 - 78 of 78View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42