Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Honda HS621 restoration

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jrtrebor

Honda HS621 restoration
Original Message   Oct 27, 2013 8:57 pm
Well here is my most recent find.  Actually I bought it at an auction back in August.
But didn't get around to restoring it until earlier this month.
It was pretty rough but started on the second pull. So figured it
was worth the 40.00 I paid for it.

The upper handle was pretty messed up.  So I replaced it with one that I kept around from and old Toro CCR2000.
It bolted right up and was also a little longer than the stock Honda handle.  Which is nice.

Stripped and repainted the muffler cover.  As well as the lower handles.

The blower housing sides needed quite a bit of straighting.  Also welded on a small piece of steel onto the bottom of the left  side
where it had been worn off.  Not adding the piece would have allowed snow and water to get inside what is the belt and pulley
compartment.  That would not be good.  Installed a new set of paddles and a new scraper that I bought on ebay for $53.00

Cleaned up everything inside.  Have to say that these blower are really well built.  The steel used for the bucket and the
undercarriage is heavy gauge.  Actually the undercarriage is plate steel.  The bracket between the engine and the bucket
is like something you would find in a automobile.

Sandblasted the bucket and sealed some of the joints with auto Spot putty.  Gave it two coats of Rustoleum Red oxide primer.
Then two top coats of Krylon Tough Rust semi gloss.  I did end up giving the center interior section of the housing another
coat of black Rustoleum Hammer finish.  That gave it a smoother, slicker finish and that paint if extremely durable.
That is also what I painted the auger with.

Didn't do much else other than check the carb bowl for dirt or signs of water. 
Replaced the plug, oil was good and clean.  Belt was good.  So it's ready to go.

In case some of you noticed there is a modification that I made.  I designed a chute rotator system for it.
Which I will show in another thread.

This message was modified Jan 2, 2014 by a moderator
Replies: 17 - 26 of 78Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
jrtrebor

Re: Honda HS621 restoration
Reply #17   Dec 25, 2013 4:03 pm
blumonster wrote:
I saw tiny parts of the belt on the snow and I smelled burnt belt. I don't know how I managed doing that.

Sounds like either the tension pulley is getting at the belt.
Which could be because the pulley is out of alignment.
Or it could be the the belt is not routed correctly.
Usually there is a diagram on the inside of the belt cover on most
SS machines that show the correct way to route the belt.
On Toro's there is a post with a nylon sleeve on it.
If the belt doesn't get placed on the correct side of that post
it will eat belts.

The Honda's don't have that post. But they have a "Belt Keeper"
just in front of the crankshaft pulley. 
The Keeper has a "notch" in the top of it.  So it looks as if the belt should run over the top in that notch.
But in fact, it's supposed to run underneath the keeper as shown in the photo below.
  If it's run over the top your going to get binding, reduced power to
the auger and it's going to eat up your belt.
Just a thought.

jrtrebor

Reply #18   Dec 25, 2013 8:22 pm
MN_Runner wrote:
@jrtrebor, Have you had a chance to try out the Honda HS621? What did you think? Did it meet you expectation? The OEM rubber parts for HS520 are fairly cheap (1/2 price of OEM rubber peddles for HS621). Did you go with the OEM rubber peddles? Please tell us about your new toy.

I have had it out a couple of times.  Snow came early this year.
My thoughts.
It's got a Honda engine.  For anyone who's ever owned one that's almost all that needs to be said.
Super dependable, one pull under all conditions and regular gas. (no smell)

Lower DB level.  It's just purrs, instead of screaming.  That's kind of nice.

I've had it in snow over the top of the housing. Powered right thru. (fresh snow)
10" of EOD no problem (dense,wet on the bottom)

The powered chute works well. Haven't had any problems.
(did have a pin fall out that I forgot to drive in all the way)
Also the first and second time I used it.  I forgot and tried to spin the chute
with the handle.  It didn't like that.

It's throwing distance is at least as good as the Toro 5hp models.
It's a tighter stream that a Toro.
Also haven't had any problem with chute clogging with the wet stuff.

I didn't put OEM paddles on it.  As you said they are to expensive.
We will see how they wear.  But even if they don't last as long as OEMs.
I would still buy aftermarkets for the next set.
Think I paid $45.00 for the set and scraper on ebay.

aa335

Reply #19   Dec 25, 2013 11:07 pm
blumonster wrote:
I saw tiny parts of the belt on the snow and I smelled burnt belt. I don't know how I managed doing that. Talent is needed... Anyway I googled and all the related videos were not available for my newly acquired iPad mini. I will watch them on android. I miss my old HS35 which did a great job of clearing snow. In fact now I will go outside and shovel some more because it snowed today after yesterday's shoveling. Lots of exercise. :D

The HS621 is significantly better machine performance wise than the HS35.  However, the HS35 is quite an engineering design.  It is so stout and robust that it is begging for a much more powerful engine.  Unfortunately, such a design today would be highly cost prohibitive.  Even maintaining  the old HS35 in running shape is expensive already.

The symptoms of clogging and burn smell and bits of rubber on the inside are indicators of slipping belt.  Definitely a belt tension or routing issues.  jrtrebor is right on target with his assessment on the root cause.  The belt should be under that little tab next to the crank pulley.  While you have the belt cover open, I would look around to see if anything else needs attention.  Check the idler pulley to make sure that it is spinning without excessive play and not binding.  Also, the idler arm should pivoting smoothly without and excessive play.  Try spinning the auger without the belt engaged and check for any binding there as well.  Problems might be a seized or worn out auger shaft bearing.  That's pretty much it.  These older Honda are quite well built and they are a joy to work on.  Most problems can be easily taken care while the belt cover is off.
This message was modified Dec 26, 2013 by aa335
aa335

Reply #20   Dec 25, 2013 11:22 pm
jrtrebor wrote:

It's throwing distance is at least as good as the Toro 5hp models.
It's a tighter stream that a Toro.
Also haven't had any problem with chute clogging with the wet stuff.

My experience with the HS621 is the same as yours.  The HS621 isn't a throwing distance champion compared to today's Toro's.  However, it still has the tightest stream of any SS snowblower, right up there with the HS520.  It gives up bit of throwing distance, but what it does superior to the newer Toro is in the slush.  The flat center paddle will pump the packed slush up the chute even up the point of stalling the engine.  The Toro will sometimes clog at the chute.

The other day I was out clearing a 1 1/2 inch of really wet snow.  I used the Toro 421QE.  None of my neighbors even bothered with using a snowblower, it would be useless.  The Toro did clogged several times and I thought retiring the Toro and bring out the Honda HS621 to do the slush clearing.  It would be superior to any snowblower for this kind of stuff, except for an older Toro S620 with the flat paddles.  I kept the Toro on to finish the job because I was a little lazy and feel like having two dripping wet snowblowers in my garage.  :) 
This message was modified Dec 26, 2013 by aa335
aa335

Reply #21   Dec 26, 2013 11:54 am
MN_Runner wrote:
AA335 is an expert at this.

Thanks MN_Runner. 
blumonster

Reply #22   Dec 29, 2013 2:33 am
MN_Runner wrote:
I used to have a lot of fancy for Honda HS621 but I am over it because my HS520 works so well without my much issues. I do not miss HS35 either, that was a beast and the parts were very expansive and difficult to obtain. OEM auger rubbers are only $40 shipped on HS520 compared to $80-$90 for HS621. I will go through these rubbers as I have concrete drive way and deck area. Maybe you can sell your old HS621 then get a HS520 or Toro 621. Happy holidays my friend!

Parts might be pricy because Hs621 is not being sold currently in the US. I wonder if parts are cheaper in Canada?.. HS35 did work without a fuss. It is heavier than 621 or it felt heavier too. The chute could be controlled through its handle. I like and trust Japanese made items just because they are made in Japan. If they did not exist I would not even buy a snowblower or lawnmower. I have an old aluminum deck Honda mower too.
blumonster

Reply #23   Dec 29, 2013 2:37 am
jrtrebor wrote:
Sounds like either the tension pulley is getting at the belt.
Which could be because the pulley is out of alignment.
Or it could be the the belt is not routed correctly.
Usually there is a diagram on the inside of the belt cover on most
SS machines that show the correct way to route the belt.
On Toro's there is a post with a nylon sleeve on it.
If the belt doesn't get placed on the correct side of that post
it will eat belts.

The Honda's don't have that post. But they have a "Belt Keeper"
just in front of the crankshaft pulley. 
The Keeper has a "notch" in the top of it.  So it looks as if the belt should run over the top in that notch.
But in fact, it's supposed to run underneath the keeper as shown in the photo below.
  If it's run over the top your going to get binding, reduced power to
the auger and it's going to eat up your belt.
Just a thought.

Thanlk you for the help jtrebor. I opened it up yesterday and compared the current belt with the previous one and Honda belt. Honda belt is thinner than the other two, must be a belt issue. I tried it after putting the new belt although there was no new snow to clear. It worked fine. I will report back when we get new snowfall.
blumonster

Reply #24   Dec 29, 2013 2:44 am
aa335 wrote:
The HS621 is significantly better machine performance wise than the HS35.  However, the HS35 is quite an engineering design.  It is so stout and robust that it is begging for a much more powerful engine.  Unfortunately, such a design today would be highly cost prohibitive.  Even maintaining  the old HS35 in running shape is expensive already.

The symptoms of clogging and burn smell and bits of rubber on the inside are indicators of slipping belt.  Definitely a belt tension or routing issues.  jrtrebor is right on target with his assessment on the root cause.  The belt should be under that little tab next to the crank pulley.  While you have the belt cover open, I would look around to see if anything else needs attention.  Check the idler pulley to make sure that it is spinning without excessive play and not binding.  Also, the idler arm should pivoting smoothly without and excessive play.  Try spinning the auger without the belt engaged and check for any binding there as well.  Problems might be a seized or worn out auger shaft bearing.  That's pretty much it.  These older Honda are quite well built and they are a joy to work on.  Most problems can be easily taken care while the belt cover is off.

Thank you for the help, aa335. It was just the belt. I like it when the solution is simple. Augur spinned when turned by hand, though not super fast. Also noticed the free play on the handle, could not measure it as the manual described but it looked normal. Idler pulley was spinning fine. When the machine was tilted back, a pool of gas drained by itself on the ground. Is that how it should be when you tilt it?
jrtrebor

Reply #25   Dec 29, 2013 8:49 am

"Augur spinned when turned by hand, though not super fast".  "When the machine was tilted back, a pool of gas drained by itself on the ground. Is that how it should be when you tilt it"?

The Augers will not spin freely by hand unless you press down on the tension pulley a little.
Doing so lifts the "Pulley Brake arm" off the auger pulley.  Then the augers should spin freely,
especially if the belt is off the machine.
You can see the "Pulley Brake arm" (center left) in the photo.

The carbs. on these machines have a vent or drain hose.
Sometimes they will vent a little fuel when tipped back.
aa335

Reply #26   Jan 2, 2014 4:13 pm
blumonster wrote:
Thank you for the help, aa335. It was just the belt. I like it when the solution is simple. Augur spinned when turned by hand, though not super fast. Also noticed the free play on the handle, could not measure it as the manual described but it looked normal. Idler pulley was spinning fine. When the machine was tilted back, a pool of gas drained by itself on the ground. Is that how it should be when you tilt it?

I use the manual as a baseline for setting the tension.  It's kind of a guestimate for the play on the bail handle.  I just fine tune it from there, which is a just a notch tighter than stock.  Just make sure it is not too tight.  You will prematurely stretch the belt and not let the auger brake engage properly.

I have not seen any kind of fuel coming out of this snowblower.   Can't tell you if what you're seeing is normal.
This message was modified Jan 2, 2014 by aa335
Replies: 17 - 26 of 78Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42