Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Tach question

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
TheKneebiter

Tach question
Original Message   Feb 8, 2005 9:11 pm
I would like to get a tach that i can use on all my ope. Looking for something i can just clip on to check and adjust rpm's then put it back in the tool chest. Anybody got any good recomendations  and a link to where or what ?

Thank's

Replies: 3 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
TheKneebiter

Re: Tach question
Reply #3   Feb 8, 2005 9:24 pm
Dont need anything that high tech. but they sure are cool.  Marshall wrote:
Hey Knee, wanna get high tech?

Tach's
This message was modified Feb 8, 2005 by TheKneebiter

Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #4   Feb 8, 2005 9:37 pm
LOL, didn't think so. I wouldn't either. 
buttlint

Reply #5   Feb 9, 2005 7:09 am
Knee,
Vibra tachs are the best deal going. They have been around for years and once you learn too trust the concept, there is really not a need for something more sophisticated (and expensive).
The only reason I have a point and read electronic tach, is because I deal with chainsaws that can crank at 12,000 rpm. Since I work alone it can be a little scary checking hi-rpm's trying too hold the trigger wide open with one hand and operating the tach with the other. (You really need 3 hands too do it.)
For mowers and other things.....it's a piece of cake and more than you will ever need. They are very accurate.
Jason1

Reply #6   Feb 9, 2005 12:13 pm
Havn't used it, but been considering purchasing the EZ-Tach.  Anybody use one of these before?  Much more reasonable at $40.

- Jason

jubol

Reply #7   Feb 9, 2005 12:33 pm
  Buttlint,

How accurate are those Vibe Tach's  ???

Plus or minus what??

Thanks

Fred     

This message was modified Feb 9, 2005 by jubol

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
buttlint

Reply #8   Feb 9, 2005 3:36 pm
Fred....
I think it is fair too say that they are as accrurate as any type of tach. They dont read in 10 rpm increments....(but not many tachs do... or is there any great need for that type of accuracy.)
All of the specs that we ever deal with...are given within a range +/- 200 rpm. You can dial that in with no problem with a vibra-tach.
I have compared with my 100 dollar, super-duper, hi-tech Stihl tach and there is no difference.
If something reads, say......3600 rpm on one....it will read exactly the same on the other.
I think it is even more accruate on the lower rpm readings.
I once had a customer from another field (I cant recall what field) tell me that they used them because they counted revolutions on machines that didnt produce electrical signals like gas powered engines do.
I do know that they use them on electrical motors...like starter motors.
Mine has been relegated too my "odd tool drawer", but I used one for years and wouldnt hesitate too use it again. The only advantage that my current tach has is that I can get in some areas easier too get a reading. I just point it at the sparkplug....and I am done. In some cases, like certain generators...its even easier too use the sirometer because the plug lead is stuck under some covers or is hard too get at and all I have too do is put the vibra-tach on the pull starter...which is right out in the open.

They do take a little time too get used too....but that is mostly because people dont trust them at first. They just look too "primative" too the digital generation. I always like too have fun with the new guys and pull mine out too check their work. (They always give me that "WTF is that" look.) I show them how too work it ...then whip out the digital too compare readings. It never fails too get a wow response. (It's like I discovered water with a devining rod.) They work....they are accurate...and they are inexpensive.
jubol

Reply #9   Feb 9, 2005 3:57 pm
 Buttlint,     

Thanks for the well quqlified tach info!!!!

Fred  

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
nibbler

Reply #10   Feb 11, 2005 7:08 pm
I had a look at the "Hi-Tech" tachometers. Does anyone know what in the world turns anywhere near 999,999RPMs?
MissSnowshoveler

If you don't have free speech, what do you have?

Reply #11   Feb 11, 2005 7:12 pm
I'm thinking my brain on too much caffine.  (Tim Horton's coffee will get me everytime!)

Sherri

If you don't have free speech, what do you have?
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #12   Feb 11, 2005 7:57 pm
My ex's mouth. 
Replies: 3 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42