Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Toro Personal Pace drive repair.

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jimbedro

Toro Personal Pace drive repair.
Original Message   Sep 1, 2013 12:04 pm
Well Friday the Self propel mechanism began to act up on my Toro Personal pace lawnmower. (Model 20017) It wouldn't free wheel in revers on the right wheel. I pulled it a part and found the key and spring gunked up. I found the grease in the gear box all caked with dirt and useless. The spring/key on the other wheel was stuck in the slot and the wheel didn't engage with the drive mechanism. I also replaced the pulley / bladed spacer and belt because it was worn/ square to the bottom. ( you actually need to pull the gear box to replace the belt on this machine) This wasn't an easy machine to work on. It works well after putting it back together. There is one minor issue. When I engage the propulsion unit wiht the wheels on the ground I get a buzzing noise. If I lift the wheels with the propulsion engaged there is no buzzing sound. Any ideas on the cause noise
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
Shryp

Re: Toro Personal Pace drive repair.
Reply #1   Sep 1, 2013 2:25 pm
Is something rubbing? Sounds like maybe the weight of the machine is pushing on something that is very close to touching.
jimbedro

Reply #2   Sep 1, 2013 4:24 pm
I looked for anything close that could rub an even adjusted the funny bar that runs from side to side under the gear box.
Shryp

Reply #3   Sep 1, 2013 9:24 pm
Have you tried stopping the wheels by hand or foot with them up in the air to see if it is a drag issue? Just be careful of the blade.
aa335

Reply #4   Sep 2, 2013 11:32 pm
It sounds like the bearings.  Looks like your machine may have seen some impact/abuse that knocked things out of alignment or balance.  The worn belt is a sign that something is binding and causing premature belt wear.

I haven't need to repair the personal pace drive on my Toro super recycler.  I bought it new and it's about 5 years old.  Adjusting the cable tension to allow to freewheel is a archaic, fiddly, and cheap.  But once I got it adjusted, I don't want to touch it again.  :)

I thought the personal pace was simple to work on, easy to understand.  Too simple but it works effectively.  There's a few things to remove to get to the drive assembly but it's not too bad.  I suggest downloading the service manual or exploded parts diagram  from Toro to make thing easier.
ajallen

Reply #5   Oct 28, 2013 10:40 am
The cable is to loose. With the Personal Pace handle pulled all the way back adjust the cable so that there is no slack.
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42