Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Coleman Powerstation backup generator

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Jimmy

Coleman Powerstation backup generator
Original Message   Jun 19, 2013 8:59 pm
I have a coleman powerstation 15kw backup generator and the battery charger has stopped working.  As Coleman is no longer producing these units, where would i find a replacement on board charger for this unit.
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
borat

Re: Coleman Powerstation backup generator
Reply #1   Jun 21, 2013 2:29 pm
Why not just get yourself a battery charger that you can plug into the AC outlet?   Probably a lot cheaper and easier than trying to replace the board.
trouts2

Reply #2   Jun 27, 2013 4:06 pm
   I'm not sure if Coleman makes anything.  "They" certainly do no make generators.  They may have just dropped the line and parts as its over a certain number of years and not required to stock parts.  You could check the generator and try to find out the actual maker and model.  With that you can try to get drawings for the part and a part number to search the net.  You may run into some old stock or the part may still be available.  If the unit is no longer made by that maker chances are they may make another unit similar to yours which has the same charger. 

Check the charger unit.  Is it one piece or made up of several components?   There should be maker number on the components.  If it was just a bridge rectifier or diodes then you can get replacements online. 

Your question was where would you find one.   You''d have to ID what you have, the component or components that failed and google around for them.  In the Boston area we have U-DOIT, Active and a few others but these days they have slimmed down their in-house stock.  Going on line is the best option after you ID what component and what it's part number is.

Edit:
   It occurred to me that the non-charging could be due to connections & etc.  What have you done for testing and isolation of the issue?  What is the model number of the unit, the Coleman number (not marketing name, Coleman product number?  
   The charger may be internal to the engine.  ? Tough to say without knowing what you have.  There are a number of factory model numbers for that marketing name.
This message was modified Jun 27, 2013 by trouts2
Bill_H

Reply #3   Jul 2, 2013 9:45 pm
trouts2 wrote:
   I'm not sure if Coleman makes anything.  "They" certainly do no make generators. 

Correct. Coleman sold Powermate generators under their name. Not sure if Powermate went under or what, but Pramac brought Powermate back. Now Pramac power is in liquidation so who knows what the future will bring for non-generic parts. One thing to look out for, some Coleman gensets had an alternator endbell bearing pressed into a plastic housing. If you have one of those, make sure that bearing is always in tip-top shape - you don't want it overheating.

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42