Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Portable Generator Question

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
borat

Portable Generator Question
Original Message   Jun 5, 2013 5:25 pm
For the last few weeks, I've been using the 2000 watt, Hyundai inverter generator at camp to provide electricity in light load applications.  Basically a 42" LED LCD TV, a Bell Receiver and a couple compact flourescent lights.   Less than 300 watts in total.   Initially I had just back fed the generator into the camp using a 12 ga. 50' extension cord.   After discovering that supplying that outlet also supplied limited power to the garage, I decided to try relocating the generator the 110 ft. or so from the camp to the garage.  I back fed the extension cord into an outlet at the garage and it powers all of the same circuits as the outlet on the camp did. 

The main power line from the garage to the camp is large diameter Tek cable (00 or 2/0) and is rated for around 195 amps so resistance should be minimal.   There is a very short eight feet of 14 ga. wire from the outlet to the main fuse box which controls the power from the large diesel generator to the main power line.  Now that I've explained the physical set up, my question is whether or not the additional distance of 120 feet or so of heavy wire transmission would put more demand on the small generator? 

The reason I ask is that I noticed what seemed to be a slight increase in fuel consumption with the exact same load.  Can't say for sure because I've only taken one fuel consumption reading from the new location. The fuel consumpiton variance was minimal.  I was getting a spectacular consistent 3 hrs./litre of fuel with the generator feeding directly into the camp.  The new location gave me a measurement of 2.79 hrs./litre.  

I know the numbers are insignificant and might just be a measurement variance, however, I'm still curious.  Does increasing the distance from the generator, despite the line having minimal resistance, increase demand on the generator?     
This message was modified Jun 15, 2013 by borat
Replies: 1 - 13 of 13View as Thread
Replies: 1 - 13 of 13View as Thread
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42