Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > New-to-me Ariens 1024 Professional - engine smoking & weeping oil

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
RedOctobyr

New-to-me Ariens 1024 Professional - engine smoking & weeping oil
Original Message   Mar 24, 2013 9:03 pm
I've been keeping an eye on Craigslist for a good 2-stage machine, to possibly replace the ST824 I bought last year. Just in case something really appealing came along.

The other day an Ariens 1024 Professional was posted. $250, seller said it needs a head gasket. The engine started and ran fine for me, he said it will intermittently start puffing smoke, etc. The rest of the machine seemed pretty good, so it came home with me :)

It has a 10hp OHV Tecumseh engine, differential, 24" cut, cast-iron gearbox, serrated augers, heated grips, etc. It has the long, tall chute. It has a cab, though I don't see myself using that. I actually prefer the idea of the narrower cut, with a lot of power. It should do better in deep/heavy stuff, vs the same amount of power with a 28" cut, or similar.

The paint's not great around the edges, but I can deal with that later if needed. I think it's spent some time outdoors, based on the rust on some of the engine shrouds. The transmission pulls hard in 1st gear forward, but slips quite easily in both reverse gears. My ST824 is the same way, which I found interesting.

Blower model number is 924120. The engine is Model OHSK100 221608B.

I'd appreciate any insight into the oil/smoking problem. The symptoms (at least what I've checked so far):

- It will start visibly weeping oil from the side of the engine, after it's been running for a minute or two (maybe less?). It will start running down the side of the engine, from a few places, especially when it really gets going (like when I had it churn through some heavy, wet stuff). The oil, coming from up high (from somewhere around the valve cover) will start dripping on the exhaust, and smoking. See pics showing a few oily areas while it was running.

- Compression, by hand, seems low, at ~35 psi. But with the electric starter, I got 150-170 psi.

- The plug looks good. Dry and gray, not oily at all.

- Dipstick level is good, halfway between low and full. The oil does not smell like gas.

- The previous owner said he thinks the smoking started all at once.

Does this sound like a failed head gasket? The fact that it seems to come from several areas makes me kind of unsure. It seems kind of like it might be pressurizing the crankcase or something? This could still be consistent with a head gasket though, I'm guessing. Could it be related to some sort of crankcase vent problem? My only experience with a failed head gasket was a Briggs OHV tractor engine, blown between the combustion chamber and valves, it just smoked a lot, no oil down the outside of the engine or anything.

The rusted fasteners on the engine are going to give me trouble. I've already twisted off two screws, despite PB Blaster. One is the little sheetmetal screw that holds the oil tube in-place. I don't know if I'll be able to get the remnant out of the engine, I doubt it. Will probably have to secure it some other way. I hope no really important ones are rusted in-place.

Thank you for any help!

This message was modified Mar 24, 2013 by RedOctobyr
Replies: 1 - 9 of 9View as Thread
Replies: 1 - 9 of 9View as Thread
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42