Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens ST824 (924082) Anyone else have issues with the engine ingesting snow?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
manjestic

Ariens ST824 (924082) Anyone else have issues with the engine ingesting snow?
Original Message   Feb 15, 2013 11:12 am
With last week's blizzard in the Northeast, I finally had a real test for my recently restored blower.  Granted the gas was old (with stabilizer) but it started promptly and ran strong.  Blew the snow farther than I ever could have hoped -- into my neighbors driveway at least 30 feet away.  However, with the snow so deep and the wind really whipping up the snow, I found if I was facing the wrong direction or blowing into the wind, the snow would land on the heater box and melt.  The steam created would then be suck into the engine and complain for a bit until I dropped the RPMs and allow it to recover.  At first I thought it was leaning out under heavy load and I enrichened the mixture a bit.  But when I made a second pass in the opposite direction I had no issues.

Can anything be done about this?  Is something else going on? 

Thanks,
Paul

More snow tomorrow?
Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
uconncuzinvinny

Go UCONN!

Re: Ariens ST824 (924082) Anyone else have issues with the engine ingesting snow?
Reply #1   Feb 17, 2013 9:15 pm
I had the same issue when going slicing into a snow wall higher than the engine, as first I thought I had a carb/fuel issue,  but when I backed out the engine ran fine.  The engine ran fine a long as I didn't get snow into the heater box area.  My guess was that the snow was interfering with the governor linkage.

Ariens 824 with R3 Drive Update,  Toro 6.5 HP personal pace Lawn mower, B&S Generac 2700 PSI pressure washer.
Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42