Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > New carb, missing welch plub

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
bkwudz

New carb, missing welch plub
Original Message   Jan 11, 2013 10:17 am
my old st1032 is a beast that just keeps going, but has had carb problems, so i thought i would treat the old girl to a new carb.

After installing the new carb it ran worst than before,  surgng and backfiring like never before.   I take the carb off, pull the float bowl and find it is missing the welch plug that is in there.

This plug does not seem to do much, but what do i know.   COuld that be the problem?

Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
trouts2

Re: New carb, missing welch plub
Reply #1   Jan 11, 2013 4:40 pm
Chances are you mean new to you not “new”, so could be settings on the low (1) and high speed jets (1 ˝), backed out from lightly seated or crud. The open Welch plug would mess up the prime so could be hard to start. There is an air vent hole on the flat above the black low idle screw to the right as look at the idle screw from the side. That vent will could let more air out than usual but probably no big deal. I’m not sure if in that carb there is any holes higher inside to the idle circuit but I don’t think so. >My Guess< Is the missing plug would only affect prime and you might get by with jabbing the primer bulb for more pressure given the open area. A new plug is cheap and easy to install. The usually recommendation for Welch plugs is seal them with fingernail polish but since it’s at the bottom and open anyway it would not be a big deal to have a tiny leak like into the idle circuit Welch area. Clean the carb, set the jets, put it on and fire it up in 2015 when we get some snow.
This message was modified Jan 12, 2013 by trouts2
Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42