Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > No snow in sight - WTH ???

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
aa335

No snow in sight - WTH ???
Original Message   Jan 9, 2013 12:05 pm
It's almost middle of January and less than inch of snow accumulation has fallen.   There's no snow forecast in sight.  The temperature is heading up to 50-60F this weekend.  I'm excited about upcoming the warm weather but really want to see some real snow to play with.

Just saying, that's all.  It's been quiet on this forum for the last 3 days.  Too quiet.  I'm going to shift over to collecting lawn mowers instead of snowblowers if this keeps up.  Anybody feels the same way?
Replies: 1 - 98 of 98View as Outline
borat

Re: No snow in sight - WTH ???
Reply #1   Jan 9, 2013 1:11 pm
Yeah...... Dismal here as well. 

We were "threatened" with up to 1" of snow overnight.  Didn't happen.  Got a few flakes falling and 25 mph winds blowing it all away!   Last serious snow was back on Nov. 23rd.  The one and only real accumulation of the season so far. 

Curse you global warming!!!
MN_Runner

Reply #2   Jan 9, 2013 10:29 pm
borat wrote:
Yeah...... Dismal here as well. 

We were "threatened" with up to 1" of snow overnight.  Didn't happen.  Got a few flakes falling and 25 mph winds blowing it all away!   Last serious snow was back on Nov. 23rd.  The one and only real accumulation of the season so far. 

Curse you global warming!!!

borat,

Maybe you can convert your Toro SS to make snow flakes then use MTD SS to blow them away.  We are expecting more rain tomorrow and Friday. 

Dr_Woof

Don't blow into the wind, and don't eat yellow snow. WOOF!

Reply #3   Jan 10, 2013 10:19 am
We had lotsa snow in November, then nuthin.  BUT, that's about to change, right NOW (if the weather forecast holds true).  Gonna get 20 cm and 60 km/h wind and that spells BLIZZARD.

mkd55

Reply #4   Jan 10, 2013 10:44 am
went to florida just before christmas for a week and came home to the 135ft driveway full of hard pack snow and ice!  our son doesn't run the snowblower the best! the last three days with the melting temps and a few hours with scrapers and shovels we can finally see the driveway again.don't care if it ever snows again this winter here in wisconsin!
FrankMA

Reply #5   Jan 12, 2013 5:29 am
Used my SS Honda once this season. I uncovered the 2 Stage and fired her up for a bit but have not had a chance to use it yet. I hope this is not going to be a flashback from last winter. Only got about 4" of snow in my neck of the woods so far this season... :(

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
borat

Reply #6   Jan 12, 2013 9:39 am
I live in Northwestern Ontario on the north shore of Lake Superior.  We broke the all time high temperature for January a couple days ago with a high of 45F.  It's been raining for two days and we have virtually no snow.  Damn!!!

The good news is that the temperatures will be dropping and the rain will turn to snow.  However, the system is on it's way out and it's going to clear before we get any accumulation. 

So many machines, so much time, so little snow..............
Dr_Woof

Reply #7   Jan 12, 2013 10:37 pm
We got the blizzard - bout a foot of nice snow to blow and some bigger drifts  But...was underlaid with a bunch of concrete like stuff which made things difficult in places.  Winter is coming on here.

sboricic

Reply #8   Jan 13, 2013 7:47 am
We had about 4-6 inches of snow, give or take, but the mild weather Thurs, Fri and yesterday cleared most of it up. Plus rain overnight into this morning. Come on spring! I'm live East of Toronto, Ont too. Over the years, we haven't been getting as much snow as we used to.
aa335

Reply #9   Jan 13, 2013 3:49 pm
Got some "precipitation" last night.  Still no snow.  I'm going to move south if this keeps up.  I'm not putting up with the cold if it doesnt reward me with some snow.  
FrankMA

Reply #10   Jan 16, 2013 1:49 pm
Cleared my driveway a little while ago of about 6" of heavy, wet snow and it's still snowing (lightly). I really enjoy using the Honda HS621 Single Stage for these less than 12" snowfalls. I never got a good chance to use it last winter because of the lack of snow and the year before I only had the HS520 which is kind of anemic compared to the HS621 (JMO). This is my new "go to" machine for less than blizzard quantity snowfall amounts. I like that it is very easy to manuever, has more than adequate power/throwing distance and is just plain fun to use and operate. I used to kind of look down on SS machines as not quite being up to the task but my thinking has since changed - especially as I get older and the 2 stage becomes just a bit more unwieldy every year. I still love my 2 stage but it is now reserved for monster storms.

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
borat

Reply #11   Jan 16, 2013 3:01 pm
I hear what you're saying FrankMA.

Similarly, my goto machine is my $30.00 Murray SS.  It's first out 99% of the time.   Light, powerful, effective and fun.  What more could one ask for?

Got a bit of snow last night.  Maybe an inch and a half but the wind piled it up in some places.  Still not enough to use a machine.  Got some decent snow forecasted for the weekend apparently.  We'll see........... 
jrtrebor

Reply #12   Jan 16, 2013 3:54 pm

It's hard to believe that I live in Central West Michigan.
Less than a quarter of a mile from the Lake.
And haven't seen more than 2" of snow on the ground this season.
That was on one occasion and it only lasted about 2 days.
Very sad, our average snow fall here is about 120"
So far officially we've had a total of 10.2"
Heck, I think I've scraped more light snow and ice off my
vehicle.  Than I've picked up in shovel off the drive.
Very, very sad.

Bill_H

Reply #13   Jan 17, 2013 1:35 am
I had about 15" last week over 3 days, and today we got 6" of the stickiest snow I've ever seen.

This is the first time I have ever had the blower push snow because it was so packed it didn't go into the auger. Temp was exactly 32. I had to ram into an old snowbank (frozen solid) to push that stuff into the auger, then it got thrown OK. Really strange. I even stopped and checked to make sure the machine was OK when I first saw it happening. Finally got it all cleared down to blacktop, it'll be in single digits tomorrow so I had to get all of it because anything I didn't get today will be there for a while.

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
Dr_Woof

Reply #14   Jan 17, 2013 9:02 am
Ever had Snowrollers?  They come with conditions like you had and very strong winds.  Bit of snow starts rolling across the top of the snow and it just builds - like when you make a snowman except they are not round - more like a cinnamon bun on its edge.  We had em a few years back and some were over a foot in diameter.  Very strange.

aa335

Reply #15   Jan 17, 2013 11:08 am
Never heard of snowroller or seen one.  Sounds like tumbleweeds, but only made of snow.
Dr_Woof

Reply #16   Jan 17, 2013 9:22 pm
Yep - like a tumblweed, except they don't roll around like a snowball.  Once they start they just roll alond on one axis.  The ones we had turned out to be about 12 inches in diameter ang maybe a foot or so wide too.  Just like cutting a strip of dough and then rolling it up.

borat

Reply #17   Jan 17, 2013 9:37 pm
Out there in Saskatchewan you've got about a thousand miles of fetch for the wind to pick up.  It'll peel your hide off on a bad day.
aa335

Reply #18   Jan 18, 2013 11:12 am
Dr_Woof wrote:
Yep - like a tumblweed, except they don't roll around like a snowball.  Once they start they just roll alond on one axis.  The ones we had turned out to be about 12 inches in diameter ang maybe a foot or so wide too.  Just like cutting a strip of dough and then rolling it up.

Looked it up on wikipedia.  Looks like a big roll of white cotton candy.
borat

Reply #19   Jan 19, 2013 8:46 am
Finally got about five inches of light snow and it's still coming down.  Not the best consistency.  Looking out the window, it appears pretty fluffy.  We'll find out soon enough.
FrankMA

Reply #20   Jan 19, 2013 9:05 am
borat wrote:
Finally got about five inches of light snow and it's still coming down.  Not the best consistency.  Looking out the window, it appears pretty fluffy.  We'll find out soon enough.

Better than no snow at all... :( At least you'll get to use your SS and have a bit of fun! :)

jrtrebor

Reply #21   Jan 19, 2013 9:35 pm

Hooray !!
We've got snow on the way.
For the next few days, cold temps, snow and strong winds.
borat

Reply #22   Jan 19, 2013 9:59 pm
We got about a foot of fluffy stuff.  Still snowing off and on but it's wind blown and finer.  By tomorrow the snow should be more consolidated and better for putting the Murray to work.   Going to be wicked cold though with the wind out of the north at about 20 mph.   Nonetheless, everything is beautiful pristine white.
Dr_Woof

Reply #23   Jan 19, 2013 10:27 pm
Blew bout a foot of fluffy snow yesterday - but it was covered with bout a half inch of ice cause it finished with rain.  Gonna be -33 tomorrow.  Temps have been up and down like a yoyo here.

aa335

Reply #24   Jan 21, 2013 12:37 pm
Still no snow, although we will be breaking a record tomorrow night.  The coldest temperature of 2012-2013 winter.
MN_Runner

Reply #25   Jan 21, 2013 6:32 pm
It is no FUN running into the 15 mph wind with a base temperature of -3F.  No major snow (more than 1 inch) storm in the forcast for next 10 days.  At this rate I better winterize my two snowblowers or move to Alaska.
aa335

Reply #26   Jan 22, 2013 12:05 am
I live near the southwest part of Lake Michigan.  This is the second year of dismal snowfall that makes me think I'm living on the wrong side of the lake.  So far, not seeing any "lake effect" snow.  Maybe I should move to Lake Tahoe.
This message was modified Jan 22, 2013 by aa335
carlb

Reply #27   Jan 22, 2013 9:14 am
here in southern new jersey we had a dusting overnight and the temps dropped to about 15 degrees this morning, but, nothing to speak about.

Carl
Dr_Woof

Reply #28   Jan 24, 2013 11:07 am
We'e getting it today - 70 km/h wind and snow!  Highways closed in all directions around Regina.

FrankMA

Reply #29   Jan 24, 2013 11:55 am
+3*F here this morning but no snow in sight except for a few flurries (30% chance) forecasted on Saturday. The long range forecast is calling for temps in the mid to high forties here by this coming Wednesday. Our chances of a white, snowy winter are growing less likely as the weeks roll on....

aa335

Reply #30   Jan 24, 2013 3:53 pm
Expecting SOME lake effect snow overnight.  1-3 inches possible.  It's not much, but    I'll take what I can get.
This message was modified Jan 24, 2013 by aa335
jrtrebor

Reply #31   Jan 24, 2013 11:20 pm
Well we finally got some snow, hooray!!
Started snowing on Monday off and on.
Same thing on Tuesday. Then early last evening will got about 6"
of real Lake effect.
I'm guessing in total we have about 10-12" on the ground.
It was really cold so it was pretty good snow.
Even got the 2 stage Ariens out for a while.
First time in over a year.  Tried the Snow Commander out after the bump in the RPM
and moving the paddles.  Still a pitiful performer.
The belt does look a little loose, so maybe that's the problem.
My 3hp Toro puts it to shame.
I could move more snow with a leaf rake than that blower does.
My Toro 210R performed really well.
Started on the first pull every time.  Even though it sat covered outside
with temps around 5 degrees and windchill around -15.
Gotta like that.
This message was modified Jan 24, 2013 by jrtrebor
GtWtNorth

https://t.me/pump_upp

Reply #32   Jan 25, 2013 8:27 am
Very strange year for us. We've had 3 good snowfalls/storms, then the temp goes up to +5, maybe with a little rain, then drops to -15 for  a while. If you don't get everything cleared before the freeze up, you have to wait for the next cycle. Haven't seen any machine yet that can tackle concrete!

Dr_Woof

Reply #33   Jan 25, 2013 9:32 am
GtWtNorth wrote:
Very strange year for us. We've had 3 good snowfalls/storms, then the temp goes up to +5, maybe with a little rain, then drops to -15 for  a while. If you don't get everything cleared before the freeze up, you have to wait for the next cycle. Haven't seen any machine yet that can tackle concrete!

Sounds like just we are getting here too.  The snow I blew yesterday was very dense - had to go through it at the lowest possible speed for the Honda with tracks.  Eventually got the job done but it took forever - was almost unblowable.  Fortunately, about half the drive blew clear in the storm, but it took more gas to do the other half than it usually takes to do the whole thing.
This message was modified Jan 25, 2013 by Dr_Woof

aa335

Reply #34   Jan 25, 2013 11:17 am
Just got 2 inches of snow overnight.  It was the nice heavy snow, the kind that crunches when you step on them.  I was going to use the Toro Powerlite to clear the driveway just to get some of my OPE fix, instead  I used a 28" wide snow pusher.  Got the job done quickly and felt good getting some exercise. 

This was the first significant snowfall in the area and traffic was slowed down a lot.  The weather alerts really over-exxagerated the severerity, so a lot of people were driving overly cautious slow.  Sometimes, I wanted to ignore the weather forecast, just take it as it comes.  If I read into the forecasts too much, most of the time I get dissapointed on how much we actually received.

So there is another snow wave coming on Sunday.  After that, the temp is climbing up to the 40's.  What a weird winter, crazy temperature fluctuations and winds, but very little snow.  I don't like this global warning, makes it challenging for any computer weather model to accurately forecast the weather.
borat

Reply #35   Jan 25, 2013 11:31 am
We got a couple inches of nice snow.  Not too light, dry and fairly easy to move.  Used the pusher to gather it in windrows on the side of the driveway then pulled out the recently repaired Craftsman to toss it up onto the lawn.  Fixing the chute rotation mechanism sure helped.  No more cranking and pulling the chute with my other hand.  So, the Craftsman is parked in the back driveway under a cover, the Murray in the garage for the front driveway and the MTD on the deck.  Toro sitting in the shed and the Simplicity living the life of a garage queen waiting for enough snow to overwhelm the other machines.  We'll see........ 
Moderator Denis

Reply #36   Jan 27, 2013 5:43 pm
Here in Montreal Qc we had a few weeks ago the big 45cm fall but since then nothing in the air, just cold weather around -17C, but we are only in end of January so X finger for the upcoming snowfall. Denis

MN_Runner

Reply #37   Jan 27, 2013 7:24 pm
We got 3" of wet slush snow today and was time for my HS520 to work.  It is critical for SS to have a nice scrapper bar and rubber peddles otherwise she is not going to blow too well.  My little Honda did a nice job cleanning the snow to the concrete surface.  It does not blow as far as my 928 but 520 is a decent machine and does the job well.  It is better than having to shovel the wet snow or getting the 928 out.  I am glad I have a 4 stroke engine as I don't stink too bad after the dance.
borat

Reply #38   Jan 27, 2013 8:36 pm

My two cycle machines don't give off excessive fumes.  My wife who has a very sensitive sense of smell never complains about me smelling of fumes after I work with them.  She gets more p!ssed off if I get gasoline on me.  She's really sensitive to that. 

A proplerly tuned two cycle shouldn't produce much visible smoke once warmed up.  I think running them at speed also helps them run cleaner.  The faster exhaust gas speeds and higher temperatures seem to contribute to cleaner combustion.  At least, that's my experience.
MN_Runner

Reply #39   Jan 27, 2013 9:40 pm
@borat,

If your wife is used to Old Spice after shave lotion then you should be just fine!

Paul7

Reply #40   Jan 27, 2013 10:07 pm
It's been a while since I posted. Spent some time in Hawaii so not much use for a snowblowe there. Back in Pennsylvania now and it appears not much use for a snowblower here as well. Had about 2-3 inches on Friday but it was so fluffy I just grabbed my leaf blower and had the cars and driveway cleared in no time. It's still only January though with a lot more winter to come. Hope everyone here is well.
coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE
Tecumseh 358cc
10hp

Reply #41   Jan 30, 2013 6:34 pm
We've had a weird winter, in my opinion, in my area.  We've actually had nearly 40 inches so far this season at the airport, but except for one storm of about 8 inches, all the rest is little boring stuff like anywhere from a skiff of up to a quarter inch or maybe up to 3 or 4 inches if we're lucky.   At least my Toro got to have some neat fun a few times.  I don't have room to store an SS machine and I don't have any smooth surfaces to use it with.  Asphalt that isn't always flat, grass/dirt driveway.  When it's frozen, at least it's okay.  My street is just fine.  We've been below freezing for 3 weeks, but now it's 38F.  It goes up and down, but heading into February will be our transition out of winter, a month ahead of all you guys in the east.

The airport said we had 18 inches in December.  I can't see where it all came from, but it must have come down.  Our season total average is about 47 inches at the airport, but where I am on the north side of the city, I think we get around 55 inches.  Seems like we get more per snowfall than what the airport says they get.  Across the Idaho border 35 miles away in Coeur d'Alene, they get around 75 inches a year.  Crazy lake effect.  Well, may you all get the snow you want!  Let's hope we can hear some good snow stories before it's too late!
This message was modified Feb 1, 2013 by coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE - Tecumseh 358cc 10hp   Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!
aa335

Reply #42   Feb 4, 2013 12:33 pm
Got about 7 inches of snow the last 5 days.  Not a whole lot, but at least it's coming down.  Now I just need a 20" blizzard to finish off the winter season.
MN_Runner

Reply #43   Feb 6, 2013 6:53 pm
Not sure but the they are predicting a foot of snow on Sun/Mon.  Too bad it is not on Sat/Sun or Fri/Sat.
Bill_H

Reply #44   Feb 6, 2013 8:36 pm
A WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM LATE THURSDAY NIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY MORNING.
* LOCATIONS... FROM THE COAST TO THE FOOTHILLS OF NEW HAMPSHIRE AND WESTERN MAINE.
* HAZARD TYPES... HEAVY SNOW POSSIBLE.
* ACCUMULATIONS... SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 12 TO 24 INCHES POSSIBLE ... WITH LOWEST AMOUNTS IN THE FOOTHILLS AND HIGHEST AMOUNTS SOUTH AND ALONG THE COAST.
* WINDS... NORTHEAST 10 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 35 MPH POSSIBLE WELL INLAND AND NORTHEAST 15 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 55 MPH POSSIBLE NEAR THE COAST.
* VISIBILITIES... ONE QUARTER MILE OR LESS AT TIMES LATE FRIDAY INTO SATURDAY.
* TEMPERATURES... MOSTLY BETWEEN 5 AND 25 ABOVE ZERO THURSDAY NIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY.

As much as I'd like to see a decent storm, why do I have the feeling they're crying wolf AGAIN?
This message was modified Feb 6, 2013 by Bill_H

MN_Runner

Reply #45   Feb 6, 2013 8:48 pm
My favorite time for a serious snow storm is Fri/Sat or Sat/Sun combination.  Sounds like you guys are getting just that!
aa335

Reply #46   Feb 6, 2013 8:54 pm
MN_Runner wrote:
My favorite time for a serious snow storm is Fri/Sat or Sat/Sun combination. 

That's mine too.  No one is in a hurry to get anywhere, the road traffic density is a lot less.  Also, the city snow plow runs later and less often so I can take my car outside and do some slip and sliding on snow covered roads.  Rear wheel drive, traction control off, time for some snow rallying. 
Moderator Denis

Reply #47   Feb 7, 2013 7:16 pm
Warnings Metro Montréal - Laval 3:16 PM EST Thursday 07 February 2013 Blowing snow warning for Metro Montréal - Laval issued The combination of strong northeasterly winds and snow will give near zero visibilities in blowing snow beginning late in the day Friday. A low pressure system over Newfoundland will continue to track eastward during the next few hours. Behind this system, a very cold air mass combined with moderate northwesterly winds is causing extreme wind chill in a few regions of the province. The winds will become light overnight, which will end the extreme wind chill. Also, as this cold air mass passes over ice free waters it could produce snowsqualls giving zero visibilities locally in coastal areas from Sainte-Anne-des-Monts to Forillon Park. Snowsqualls will end gradually this evening as the winds ease. A low pressure system from Texas will move to lie near Lake Erie Friday morning and then merge with an intense low pressure system developing over the American seaboard. Snow associated with this system will begin this evening over Southern Quebec and will continue Friday. A more intense band of snow will affect areas near the Ontario and American borders. Over the southwest, snow amounts will be generally between 5 and 10 centimetres and up to 20 or 25 centimetres near the borders. Due to strong northeasterly winds accompanying this system, several regions along the St Lawrence Valley will see blowing snow beginning in the late afternoon Friday. Courtesy of Weatheroffice www.weatheroffice.gc.ca

jimbedro

Reply #48   Feb 7, 2013 7:39 pm
I'm expecting 22"+ from this storm. This will be the biggest storm in 2 years. I have 10 gals of gas in the garage for snowblower and generator. I hope I don't need the generator.
FrankMA

Reply #49   Feb 7, 2013 7:42 pm
WARNINGS NEW ENGLAND - Laval 7:31 PM EST Thursday 07 February 2013 Expect very heavy snowfall during the entire day and night Friday and Saturday morning and early afternoon. It is suggested that vast quantities of alcoholic beverages be purchased and consumed during this time period. Copius amounts of good food such as beef tenderloin with roasted potatoes and gravy with mixed vegetables be cooked and eaten during this storm. Any other mind altering substances should also be considered and possibly used during this storm.
This message was modified Feb 7, 2013 by FrankMA

MN_Runner

Reply #50   Feb 7, 2013 7:57 pm
FrankMA wrote:
WARNINGS NEW ENGLAND - Laval 7:31 PM EST Thursday 07 February 2013 Expect very heavy snowfall during the entire day and night Friday and Saturday morning and early afternoon. It is suggested that vast quantities of alcoholic beverages be purchased and consumed during this time period. Copius amounts of good food such as beef tenderloin with roasted potatoes and gravy with mixed vegetables be cooked and eaten during this storm. Any other mind altering substances should also be considered and used during this storm. Courtesy of Weatheroffice www.weatheroffice.gc.ca

What is your home address? I will bring a true case (12 bottles and not 6) of wine and will help you wash down fine chunks of filet mignon.  I like my steak rare BTW.
Moderator Denis

Reply #51   Feb 7, 2013 10:23 pm
FrankMA wrote:
WARNINGS NEW ENGLAND - Laval 7:31 PM EST Thursday 07 February 2013 Expect very heavy snowfall during the entire day and night Friday and Saturday morning and early afternoon. It is suggested that vast quantities of alcoholic beverages be purchased and consumed during this time period. Copius amounts of good food such as beef tenderloin with roasted potatoes and gravy with mixed vegetables be cooked and eaten during this storm. Any other mind altering substances should also be considered and possibly used during this storm.

Frank, I like the way your sparkling easy way :)

GtWtNorth

Reply #52   Feb 8, 2013 8:49 am
aa335 wrote:
 I can take my car outside and do some slip and sliding on snow covered roads.  Rear wheel drive, traction control off, time for some snow rallying. 

AAAHHHH, rear wheel drive. Those were the good old days, hand brake slides on a fwd just aren't the same!

RIT333

Reply #53   Feb 8, 2013 9:49 am
GtWtNorth wrote:
AAAHHHH, rear wheel drive. Those were the good old days, hand brake slides on a fwd just aren't the same!
For fun with a FWD vehicle, take 2 cafeteria trays and put them under the rear tires, and set the emergency brake, then find a large parking lot - preferably without any light posts, and do donuts to your heart's content.  Don't spin too much, because you can run your engine oil pickup low on oil, and blow up your engine, but it takes quite a bit !  

(Don't try this a home !)
aa335

Reply #54   Feb 8, 2013 10:26 am
GtWtNorth wrote:

Yes, having both rear wheels spinning kicking up a rooster tail and being to control the rear end swing with the throttle, that's a huge difference from FWD.
aa335

Reply #55   Feb 8, 2013 10:36 am
Last night, we got 2 inches of snow.  Doesn't seem much, but it was the really heavy and wet kind, heart attack snow.  I tried shoveling it, had to stop every 3 feet to get the accumulated snow off the shovel.  It was soaking heavy.  After a while, I decided to get out the SS.  Even the Toro 421 had trouble pushing that stuff up the chute.  The engine never stalled and the paddles were still spinning, but the snow came out very slowly, kinda like 9 inch tube of Italian ice..  Quite impressed with the power of this engine.  It took a while clearing the snow, but I got it done last night.

I was glad I cleared the heavy snow because the next day, the temperature dropped and the wet snow freezed hard as a rock.  I guess I could take out the 2 stage and let the metal auger do the work.  I might have to do that tonight to help the new neighbors who doesn't even have any snowblowers.
GtWtNorth

Reply #56   Feb 8, 2013 3:18 pm
We got about 6 inches of very light snow today, went out with the shovel to get some exercise. According to the forecast here, it looks like you guys in northern VT,CT, NH, MA & ME are in for a good one. They say anything up to 36 inches, good luck & enjoy!

borat

Reply #57   Feb 8, 2013 5:41 pm
aa335 wrote:
Yes, having both rear wheels spinning kicking up a rooster tail and being to control the rear end swing with the throttle, that's a huge difference from FWD.

Usually around mid to late March we start to go to camp.  There's usually not another soul out there and we have the lake to ourselves.  By that time of the year, the snow has consolidated with the ice and makes for a flat, slightly slushy surface on the lake.   We have two 500cc four wheel drive ATVs that can be put into rear wheel drive only.  When the ice fishing is slow, we take the machines, put them in four wheel drive to get them up to about 30 mph or so on the ice  then we switch to two wheel drive, crank hard to left or right and apply some throttle.  Donuts forever  while sliding down the lake at speed.  Rooster tails of slush flying 20' in the air and ear to ear smiles.  Lots of fun. 
carlb

Reply #58   Feb 9, 2013 7:57 am
Another snow storm, another bust here in Southern New Jersey.   Looked outside this morning and only a dusting to maybe an 1" on the ground.  So far this year I haven't even put gas in my snow blower.

We haven't even lost power once this winter so I haven't needed our backup generator either.  This winter is becoming a real bust and I am having OPE withdrawal.

On the bright side I have the engine out of my lawn tractor and down the basement for a rebuild.  21 year old Briggs i/c gold  that was worked very hard and was even used with plow for about 10 years.  Other than a worn out set of rings (the engine was starting to smoke a little near the end of the summer) the engine looked great. 
Tanked everything honed the cylinder, new rings, lapped the valves and now its time to put it back together.
FrankMA

Reply #59   Feb 9, 2013 8:11 am
We got 2+ feet of snow so far and it's still snowing!  This is the first good storm we've gotten since the winter of 2010-2011 when we got one big storm after another. It's definitely a 2 stage kind of day once the snow stops which is supposed to be sometime this afternoon according to the weather guru's. 

aa335

Reply #60   Feb 9, 2013 9:47 am
FrankMA, nice to have that much snow to play with.  Enjoy!
MN_Runner

Reply #61   Feb 9, 2013 11:11 am
FrankMA wrote:
We got 2+ feet of snow so far and it's still snowing!  This is the first good storm we've gotten since the winter of 2010-2011 when we got one big storm after another. It's definitely a 2 stage kind of day once the snow stops which is supposed to be sometime this afternoon according to the weather guru's. 

May be it is good and bad.  You will have some fun but that is a lot of snow on your roof.  Hopefully you do not lose any power.  The snow looks fairly heavy type.  We are expecting only 6"+ (nothing like your area) of wet snow so we will see how this develops tomorrow.
jimbedro

Reply #62   Feb 9, 2013 8:05 pm
Nemo left me wiht 26"+ of snow. 3-4 drifts too. I was ouside 8 hrs straight snow blowing. The town push back the corner into my front yard and buried acces to my oil fill pipe. Left a 6' high pile.
This message was modified Feb 9, 2013 by jimbedro
GtWtNorth

Reply #63   Feb 9, 2013 9:32 pm
jimbedro wrote:
Nemo left me witt 26"+ of snow. 3-4 drifts too. I was outside 8 hrs straight snow blowing. The town push back the corner into my front yard and buried access to my oil fill pipe. Left a 6' high pile.

8 hours, maybe that's a little too much of a good thing!  We often forget those unsung heros who deliver our heating oil in rain sleet or snow. I always blow the extra 10 feet for a path to my fill pipes and the delivery man always writes me a thank you on the receipt  he leaves in the mailbox!

daswede

Reply #64   Feb 10, 2013 2:14 pm
  Another Massachusetts snowman here.   We got 24 inches of nice  throwing snow.

Wind was a bugger,kept changing directions. Snowed for almost 23 hours straight.  State shut down,No vehicles allowed on road.

Stores closed ,etc.

I finally dragged out my 5 yr. old  Ariens 7/24 .  This machine did itself proud. Took snow over the bucket, and kept churning along.

ralphfr

Reply #65   Feb 10, 2013 2:48 pm
Long Island, NY checking in. Finally some snow! Some areas received from 2 to 3 feet of snow especially northern and eastern areas. They were rescuing people off the LIE(495) with snowmobiles! In my area on the central south shore we got a foot to a foot and a half. I'm totally enamored with my toro 221. It got no use last year of course so this is the first time I've used it since the winter of 2010-11 which is when I bought it. I was impressed then and I'm still impressed. This machine rips through anything. EOD and the more compacted snow just means narrower passes. Had to let the snow sit for most of the day as I had to go to work early Saturday. I was worried but it handled it just fine. The bottom inch or so was very crusty and icy as we had had 2 inches of rain prior to the snow sticking. It was a little bumpy but it just tore through it or over it. No 2-stage remorse anymore. I'd buy it all over again. Happy snowblowing to you all!
This message was modified Feb 10, 2013 by ralphfr
Dr_Woof

Reply #66   Feb 20, 2013 10:29 am
Still no new snow for a while, BUT.....lotsa Old snow piling up cause it blew real hard all last night - got four foot drifts right down the driveway bout 200 feet of it!  So hard you can walk on em and not leave tracks.  Think I'm gonna call in the guy with the Bobcat cause I don't wanna try to tackle that stuff with the Honda.  Wind chill is -35 too!

Bill_H

Reply #67   Feb 20, 2013 6:40 pm
I just found out where the missing snow is ... Phoenix!  They're freaking out down there right now.

http://imageshack.us/a/img824/8901/img3729gd.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img824/8530/img8875ag.jpg
This message was modified Feb 20, 2013 by Bill_H

MN_Runner

Reply #68   Feb 20, 2013 6:59 pm
aa335 wrote:
It's almost middle of January and less than inch of snow accumulation has fallen.   There's no snow forecast in sight.  The temperature is heading up to 50-60F this weekend.  I'm excited about upcoming the warm weather but really want to see some real snow to play with.

Just saying, that's all.  It's been quiet on this forum for the last 3 days.  Too quiet.  I'm going to shift over to collecting lawn mowers instead of snowblowers if this keeps up.  Anybody feels the same way?

I heard you guys might get some good amount of snow (+8") this week.   We are expecting 4-6" this Friday.
aa335

Reply #69   Feb 20, 2013 7:23 pm
The forecast is for 2-5 inches Thursday night into Friday for Chicagoland.  There might be more snow further up north in Wisconsin.
aa335

Reply #70   Feb 20, 2013 7:30 pm
Bill_H wrote:
I just found out where the missing snow is ... Phoenix!  They're freaking out down there right now.

http://imageshack.us/a/img824/8901/img3729gd.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img824/8530/img8875ag.jpg

Im sure they're freaking out to see snow, but that itty bitty 2 incher is not going to explain why my area is missing some much needed snow. 
Bill_H

Reply #71   Feb 21, 2013 11:33 am
aa335 wrote:
Im sure they're freaking out to see snow, but that itty bitty 2 incher is not going to explain why my area is missing some much needed snow. 

Maybe it was all 40 inches and the first 38 melted on the trip south? :D

aa335

Reply #72   Feb 25, 2013 11:20 pm
Big storm forecast to be here around noon on Tuesday, bringing 6 inches of snow to Chicagoland area.  Hopefully it materializes and not a big weatherman hype.
aa335

Reply #73   Feb 26, 2013 2:52 pm
The snow is coming down hard.  Wet and heavy with high winds blowing snow sideways.  It's a mini blizzard but it's the biggest storm of the winter so far.  
Bill_H

Reply #74   Feb 26, 2013 3:45 pm
We had a blizzard here 2 weeks ago, and the 10" we got this weekend was like a dusting compared to that. I feel really sorry for anyone whose blower is out of commission for any reason. The plow guys made a bundle but lived on catnaps and coffee for 72 hours. I had to shovel about 10' of sidewalk that I can't get the blower to, just that was a job and a half.
This message was modified Feb 26, 2013 by Bill_H

aa335

Reply #75   Mar 4, 2013 3:39 pm
Another big storm "Saturn" heading towards Chicagoland, bringing 7-10 inches of snow.  I'm stoked, Big Red is all fueled up and ready to go.
MN_Runner

Reply #76   Mar 4, 2013 5:53 pm
We are expecting 8-12" of snow by tomorrow afternoon.  Not too much this morning (less than 1").  I was hoping for no more snow but this one will be gone fairly fast.
Dr_Woof

Reply #77   Mar 16, 2013 10:44 am
AAaahhh....winter has finally arrived.  Blew snow for an hour yesterday and now the weather guy says blizzard starting tonight at midnight.  And it's.......25 below right now!

borat

Reply #78   Mar 16, 2013 12:21 pm
We got slammed last week with a good foot of snow in two different storms. 

Last year on this very day, we had green grass sprouting on the lawn.  Right now, I have a good two feet of snow on it.  Unbelievably difference from winter of 2012 to that of 2013.  
MN_Runner

Reply #79   Mar 18, 2013 6:49 pm
We got another 3" of wet snow this morning.  This is just getting old and old with these 3-4" Aberta clippers.  It is like watching "Groundhog Day".
Bill_H

Reply #80   Mar 18, 2013 10:08 pm
Springtime in Maine:

The National Weather Service
Portland, ME
Mon, Mar 18, 2013, 2:59 PMEDT

... WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO MIDNIGHT EDT TUESDAY NIGHT...

* LOCATIONS... CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN NEW HAMPSHIRE AND SOUTHWEST MAINE

* HAZARD TYPES... SNOW

* ACCUMULATIONS... SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 12 TO 16 INCHES.

* TEMPERATURES... UPPER 20S TO LOWER 30S.

FrankMA

Reply #81   Mar 19, 2013 7:53 am
10" on the ground right now and it's supposed to keep snowing til about 6 PM tonite. Don't get me wrong here - I like the snow but at this time of the year I look forward to spring (which is tomorrow BTW!). It's one of those years' where the ground is just about clear of snow and BANG! we get another foot or so and we're back to square one again...

carlb

Reply #82   Mar 19, 2013 9:04 am
FrankMA wrote:
10" on the ground right now and it's supposed to keep snowing til about 6 PM tonite. Don't get me wrong here - I like the snow but at this time of the year I look forward to spring (which is tomorrow BTW!). It's one of those years' where the ground is just about clear of snow and BANG! we get another foot or so and we're back to square one again...

Here in South Jersey we have only had a few very small snowfalls this year, in most cases 1" or less.   Never even put gas in my snowblower this year and have already put it back in storage and pulled out the Rototiller and tilled up the garden. 
Dr_Woof

Reply #83   Mar 19, 2013 10:34 am
Blew snow again yesterday after a miniblizzard.  Its been 25 below for several nights now, and not expected to warm up much in the 5 day forecast.  Got a 9 foot drift over most of the garden and itll take a LONG time to go at this rate.  Last year I rototilled my garden at the end of....March!

aa335

Reply #84   Mar 19, 2013 10:47 pm
The forecast for my area is no snow for the next 10 days.   I'm kinda bummed not seeing a big snow storm this year.  The most snowfall at one time was 7 inches.

It has been windy, wet, and cold lately.  Too cold, doesn't feel like spring to me.  However, I already heard lots of birds chirping.  Today, I saw two fat birds scoping out a place on a tree to build a nest on one of my trees.  It's a good sign.
Dr_Woof

Reply #85   Mar 20, 2013 8:49 pm
It is here!  Really strong winds, but no snow (yet - sposed to come tomorrow).  Had to blow out a three foot drift so my wife could get back in this afternoon - half an hour later it was back and couldnt even tell it had been gone.  Drifts along the driveway are approaching 8 or 9 feet high now.  We are pretty well isolated from the outside world here right now, and the weatherman says it's only going to get worse and last at least till Friday night.

This being the situation, I am makling request for an emergeny airdrop here.  NEED BEER!!

MN_Runner

Reply #86   Mar 20, 2013 9:42 pm
Dr_Woof wrote:
It is here!  Really strong winds, but no snow (yet - sposed to come tomorrow).  Had to blow out a three foot drift so my wife could get back in this afternoon - half an hour later it was back and couldnt even tell it had been gone.  Drifts along the driveway are approaching 8 or 9 feet high now.  We are pretty well isolated from the outside world here right now, and the weatherman says it's only going to get worse and last at least till Friday night.

This being the situation, I am makling request for an emergeny airdrop here.  NEED BEER!!

How much gasoline do you keep in your garage?  8 or 9 feet will take some time to clear up.  I don't think you want some cheap American beers even when times are tough.
Dr_Woof

Reply #87   Mar 20, 2013 10:07 pm
No, the Honda will not handle that.  Probably have to call in the guy with the Bobcat and might have to wait a few days till he gets here.  No so bad at that since it's sposed to stay like this for at least anoher day and a half or so.  But, sometimes.......the wind gets so strong it blows everything away - I'm not holding my breath on that thouigh.

Under these conditions, I will drink most any kind but prefer a light ale.  Any brand will do.  So......when's the airdrop scheduled?  I will stomp out a drop zone for it.

Dr_Woof

Reply #88   Mar 20, 2013 10:22 pm
OK - all done here!  Please hurry - almost out.

MN_Runner

Reply #89   Mar 20, 2013 10:32 pm
Dr_Woof wrote:
OK - all done here!  Please hurry - almost out.

I can't fly because I have a green-red color issue.  I was in the USAF but had a desk job. You need some help from the Royal Candian Air Force.
Dr_Woof

Reply #90   Mar 21, 2013 10:55 am
Furget about red and green.  How are ya with white and black?

Mark78

Reply #91   Mar 22, 2013 12:24 am
At this rate only needed the old Ariens SB for 1 or 2 snows in Indy Area.........next year might just leave SB fully winterized until really needed.......
Mark78

Reply #92   Mar 24, 2013 3:38 pm
Well check that now predicted to get 6-10" toinght
carlb

Reply #93   Mar 25, 2013 7:57 am
Snow comming down heavy in Southern New Jersey right now, they are calling for 3 to 5 inches.   This will be the most snow we have gotten all winter.  I already put the snow blower away for the winter, and  took the rototiller out.  I really don't feel like taking it out but if i must i must
This message was modified Mar 25, 2013 by carlb
MN_Runner

WTH - Where is Spring?
Reply #94   Apr 9, 2013 6:28 pm
We are expecting 12"+ of snow starting Wed night and finishing on Thur afternoon.  Where is Spring? Hopefully this is it!
Dr_Woof

Reply #95   Apr 12, 2013 6:09 pm
Well, we took a road trip to Alberta on Wednesday, came home on Thursday night - to face 6 foot drifts on top of the old stuff and 20 miles of unmaintaind road to get here!  Took a while for the last part, but we made it OK.  Blew and chipped out a footpath thru 6 feet of snow to get from the car to the house and the rest will just have to wait for spring.

GtWtNorth

Reply #96   Apr 13, 2013 11:44 am
Nice "Welcome Home". I guess you'll appreciate this one!

It's almost over.

Cheers

Dr_Woof

Reply #97   Apr 13, 2013 1:41 pm
Friggin varmit!  And I suppose you lied also bout the next one that's sposed to hit us....tonight?

aa335

Reply #98   Apr 16, 2013 4:00 pm
No more snow around here, just lots of rain.  This damp weather makes it feels colder than it actually is.

Not complaining about lack of snow now.  Already summerized the snowblower, changed car tires to summer set.  Just clay bar the car for the first time in 5 years I have it, then I may possibly do a polish, or paint sealant.  Feels like a total makeover!  The car looks and drives nice with summer performance tires.  Got a little sideways this morning before the tires warmed up.  Ahhh....RWD with power to break loose.  I'm ready for summer.  :)

Also scoping Craigslist for unusually good deals.  So far nothing.  These are the same ads that's been running all winter with the same prices.  CL doesn't seems to follow the law of supply and demand around here.  :)  Some guys still trying to unload a Snow Commander for $700 for the last 3 years. 
This message was modified Apr 16, 2013 by aa335
Replies: 1 - 98 of 98View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42