Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > New Toros single stage

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
PACKO

New Toros single stage
Original Message   Jan 1, 2013 5:13 pm
What is the verdict on the newer 4 cycle Toro single stage blowers?  Are they as good and powerful as the older two strokes?
Replies: 4 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
trouts2

Re: New Toros single stage
Reply #4   Jan 2, 2013 7:10 pm

The smaller 418 might toss the same distance or close to the 2450 but not throughput.   They both would not make progress at the same pace and the ratio bigger as snow height increased.  My Powerlites is close in distance to 2450’s and 3650’s in low snow.    Any difference would be slight as the paddles are running close to the same RPM and diameter.   Given a bigger load the Powerlite and 418 would drop off quickly.   

I think all the 421 and 621 versions are the same engines, paddles and bodies with the differences only in features noted by the EQZ suffixes of hood control, chute control and electric start.   Tossing wise they’re all the same. 

I picked up two new 421’s two summers ago and only got a few minutes time on one last year.   The little use it got was impressive.   The snow this week was respectably high and suitable for an SS so the 421 got some clearing time.

The 4 stroker is a great engine and a nice sounding engine.   It holds up well under load with minimal sag when reasonably used.    It performs like a Honda.   The Loncin engine has only been used by Toro and MTD for a few years.   I can’t find serious complaints about the Loncin 163cc on the net.   The expectations for holding up long term seem very good.  I’m certainly not concerned about them say compared to the Predator.  I have held off buying any even at $99.

The 4 stroke 163cc did very well on the first storm here.   I’d say it was the equal of a 3560 and if better only slightly and that would be in distance and throughput.    I had 3 2450’s and 2 3650’s here up until the storm so no big two strokes to compare with.  But I have a lot of test time on those over the last few years and would say they are very close and too close to eyeball.   You’d probably have to check with a tape to be sure but I’d give an very very slight edge to the 4 stroke. 

Ownership wise which would I want….all the 2450’s and 3560’s are gone and the 4 strokes remain.   I’ll sell one but the other is a keeper at least for this season and until Toro comes up with something better other than top side frills.

I'm on the hunt for a 418 but doubt if I’ll get one for a few years unless someone snaps a rod.  It will have a tough time dislogging the Powerlite from the pole position near the door.   The Powerlite is the first machine used in all storms.  It gets me to the garage and does some initial clearing from tough spots out to the middle of the drive where the bigger guys can get at it.

aa335

Reply #5   Jan 3, 2013 2:36 pm
trouts2 wrote:
   The 4 stroker is a great engine and a nice sounding engine.   It holds up well under load with minimal sag when reasonably used.    It performs like a Honda.  

Very true.  The Loncin engine is almost a carbon copy of the GX160 engine that's on my Honda HS621 snowblower. 

One thing I don't understand is that the Loncin engine has a primer bulb, while the Honda engine doesn't have it. 
This message was modified Jan 3, 2013 by aa335
Coldfingers

Reply #6   Jan 4, 2013 12:08 pm
I just bought a toro 621E as I wanted the electric start. Haven't had much snow yet in northern minnesota but I have used it twice on lighter snow falls. I had a honda 521 recoil before this one. The toro is quieter running than the honda was. The honda did blow the snow farther than the toro. The toro will pull itself along nicley where the honda never felt that way. I use a toro 3650 two stroke at work and I would have to say I like the 621 better. I'm not taking anything away from the 3650 as we have used it where we shouldn't of and it just keeps right on running and running. I do like the electric start on the new one, glad I got it.
MN_Runner

Reply #7   Jan 5, 2013 1:40 pm
Came across a nice used Honda HS520 (2 years old) and bought one this morning at 7:30AM.  After a nice run and smoke (just kidding) then tried out the used blower on my pond.  Did not have a huge expectation but hoping it was good enough to clean up the pond.  It was not bad and actually blew the snow fairly well and much better than my old HS35.  Using the SS was a little more work than expected because I had to drag it out from my garage to the pond, which was a chore.  It started good and blew it well.  I used it for about 40 min nonstop but the fuel usage was very minimal.  It was very clear that having both 2-stage and SS are a great idea if you have room in the garage.  I think it is easy enough for my wife to use.
aa335

Reply #8   Jan 13, 2013 3:54 pm
MN_Runner wrote:
It was very clear that having both 2-stage and SS are a great idea if you have room in the garage.  I think it is easy enough for my wife to use.

I got 3 of those "easy for my wife to use" snowblowers as well.  All types, recoil and electric start, 2 stroke and 4 stroke, big and small, foreign and domestics, loud and quiet, cheap and expensive.  Got all my bases covered, wife hasn't used any of them.  Good thing I didn't buy it "specifically" for her to use. 

You can bring a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. 

Oh well.  She lets me keep my snowblowers, so I'll keep her. 
This message was modified Jan 13, 2013 by aa335
MN_Runner

Reply #9   Jan 16, 2013 6:30 pm
I found a great application for SS.  Put on a pair of ice skates then use your SS to propel you forward on the pond.  You can go pretty fast.
aa335

Reply #10   Jan 17, 2013 11:09 am
That sounds like a new class of racing.   Imagine the possibility of modding the snowblower and rubber paddles to get more speed and bite.
Bill_H

Reply #11   Jan 17, 2013 8:08 pm
Heh. And in the Unlimited Class, V-6 rototillers with the tines replaced with circular saw blades for extra traction.

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
MN_Runner

Reply #12   Jan 17, 2013 8:42 pm
i just need Borat's help controlling the thrust.  Not sure if the GC160 can handle 6000rpm of abuse.  I could care less if it blows up.
borat

Reply #13   Jan 17, 2013 9:35 pm
GC with an overhead cam should handle higher rpms.  Push rod engines aren't quite as willing.
Replies: 4 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42