Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ressurecting a sleeping beauty

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Axis

Ressurecting a sleeping beauty
Original Message   Dec 25, 2012 10:04 am
Got a problem.  Pulled the trusty I think 43 year old Ariens snowblower (with it's second engine, a Tecumseh HSK70 with maybe 20 hours on it) out of it's covered outdoor storage space.  Wanted to look at the belt, grease it and lubricate what I knew earlier was a sticking shift bar (the shaft inside the case gets smeared every few years), so started it up to take it the the basement hatch.  It ran for a minute - just long enough to get there, then started running rough, then backfired through the muffler, and now I can't even start it.

Took apart the carb to check the flow and needle, found a clean fuel bowl but clayish colored fine particles in the gas.  Drained some through the inlet (float valve thing) and it was full of junk settling like an almost solid thin layer in the bottom of my container.  Then I'm thinking - didn't run it last year or drain it so the fuel was in there at least two years.   I can't remember the last time I filled the portable can so maybe the gas is three or maybe even four years old.  I probed the tiny hole in the needle adjuster and blew it dry.   And still couldn't start it, but it sputtered once. 

Will be draining and replacing the gas (flushing some fresh through the line and what to do with the old?) and clean the carb in place best I can with spray.   The spark plug is aged but has at most a few hours on it.

Thoughts on what else to do?
This message was modified Dec 25, 2012 by Axis
Replies: 1 - 24 of 24View as Thread
Replies: 1 - 24 of 24View as Thread
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42