Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > My latest acquisition, Craftsman 8/26 Track Drive

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jrtrebor

My latest acquisition, Craftsman 8/26 Track Drive
Original Message   Dec 15, 2012 9:15 am
Found this on CL the other night. It's an older model but I don't think it saw much use.
Paid $100.00 for it plus $35.00 in fuel to pick it up.
Gave it a bath and it cleaned up nice.  I now have a real understanding for the comments I've
read about moving one of these track drive machines around.  They don't move.  It's like trying
to muscle a wheelbarrow full of sand around in the mud. 
Six forward speeds two reverse.  Got a decent sized
auger gear box.  Augers are free on the shafts and it has grease fittings.  The whole blower section and augers
aren't that beefy, like on some other older model blowers.  12" impeller

The friction wheel and drive plate are much smaller is this blower compared to others I've seen.
So are the drive belt pulley's.  Pretty straight forward drive train.  Axle bushings are good and snug on the shaft.
Got lucky and found a free owners manual online.

It's got a good engine on it w/elec. start.  Carb needs to be pulled and cleaned. All the decals are in good condition.

These are the adjusters for the rear track hubs. There is an inner and outer one.

Drive axle, sprocket and chain.  Driving the front hub.

Replies: 5 - 14 of 14Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
FrankMA

Re: My latest acquisition, Craftsman 8/26 Track Drive
Reply #5   Dec 16, 2012 7:05 am
jrtrebor wrote:
Was working on it today, cleaned the carb. and got it running.
But I believe the past owner and his buddies had the carb. off.
The gov. isn't working correctly so I suspect they put the linkage rods back in the wrong holes.
Starts and idles well but full throttle takes the RPM way up.
I'm going to be selling it, as I have no real interest in a Track drive.
My blowing situations require a lot of maneuverability.
I really just wanted to look under the hood and see how track drives are set up.
After looking at things and giving it some thought.  I'm thinking that a person
could modify the axle on an Ariens to accept the tracks. 
You'd end up with a track drive system that would make use of the differential
system on the Ariens. That would be slick.
You'd have the benefit of the "tracks" traction.  But the blower would steer as if you had
independent control over each track.
May have to give that some more thought before selling the blower.

I believe Ariens sells a track drive conversion kit that will allow certain wheel drive units to be retrofitted over to a track drive...

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
55utilitysedan

Reply #6   Dec 16, 2012 11:21 am
Pretty clean and straight looking! Looks like heater box is missing is all. Your track drive system looks exactly like my Noma made 1990 John Deere TRX26 snow blower.  With mine I pay attention to lubrication of the track roller chains (2) and the drive shafts and followers (3 ea. side) , well lubed it does roll pretty well going straight. Hanging a 90 degree turn is good for the upper body...........Merry Christmas everybody!!!!! 
carlb

Reply #7   Dec 16, 2012 1:15 pm
I had this exact same model that i bought not running for 75 dollars fixed it up and sold it but never used it in snow.  What i can tell you is that the shafts on mine that hold the wheels that drive the tracks were rusted pretty badly making the engine use more power to move the tracks then i suspect blow snow.  I removed them and cleaned them up ant it worked much better.

This machine is very very slow and you will want to do everything possible to never use reverse  I found the sheet metal to be thin and the whole machine to be less sturdy than i would want from a track machine.

If I were you I would post this snow blower for sale at the first hint of snow and it will probably sell very fast being in such nice condition.  I sold mine for 425 dollars and it wasn't as clean as yours.
borat

Reply #8   Dec 16, 2012 3:25 pm
carlb:

I can't imagine anything being much slower in reverse than my 2006 large frame Simplicity.   I have to be pretty much flogged or in a fairly uphill situation to use reverse on that thing.  Sh!t, even the highest reverse speed is glacial at best.  Ridiculously slow.  I'm assuming that's to prevent the uninitiated from sqeezing themselves to death up against the house if speed were a blazing 3 mph or more. 

That's just another reason for me to pull out the single stage machines.  They're far easier all the way around other than when we get heavy/wet/frozen plow deposits.  That and 14" plus heavy snow is the only time the dual stage sees action now.   Oh, and did I mention that the SS machines are actually fun to use?     
This message was modified Dec 17, 2012 by borat
carlb

Reply #9   Dec 16, 2012 5:10 pm
borat wrote:
carlb:

I can't imagine anything being much slower in reverse than my 2006 large frame Simplicity.   I have to be pretty much flogged or in a fairly uphill situation to use reverse on that thing.  Sh!t, even the highest reverse speed is glacial at best.  Ridiculously snow.  I'm assuming that's to prevent the uninitiated from sqeezing themselves to death up against the house if speed were a blazing 3 mph or more. 

That's just another reason for me to pull out the single stage machines.  They're far easier all the way around other than when we get heavy/wet/frozen plow deposits.  That and 14" plus heavy snow is the only time the dual stage sees action now.   Oh, and did I mention that the SS machines are actually fun to use?     

Borat

My old restored 1983 Cub Cadet will just about run you over if you put it in reverse 2 at full rpm, but, in first gear it will move very slow just the way i like it for EOD.  2nd and third gear are what i use most and its rare to use 6th

I guess when my Cub was built they figured you had more sense then to run yourself over in reverse with your snow blower and if not more sense then Darwins law could take over.
jrtrebor

Reply #10   Dec 16, 2012 11:20 pm
55utilitysedan wrote:
Pretty clean and straight looking! Looks like heater box is missing is all.   With mine I pay attention to lubrication of the track roller chains (2) and the drive shafts and followers (3 ea. side) , well lubed it does roll pretty well going straight....Merry Christmas everybody!!!!! 

Actually I do have the heater box.  Just had it off to clean and work on the carb.
Still having issue with the carb. Need to pull it off and go through it again.

As soon as I get it running correctly I'm going to pull the tracks all apart and lube everything.
They are pretty stiff right now.

jrtrebor

Reply #11   Dec 16, 2012 11:44 pm
borat wrote:
carlb:

I can't imagine anything being much slower in reverse than my 2006 large frame Simplicity. 

My Ariens is the same way.  Painfully slow in reverse.
Next time I have an old Ariens around I'm going to filp the friction disc over and install
it backwards.  You'll loose at least one forward gear but it might be worth it if the reverse speed
quickens enough.  Could also be clearance issues have to wait and see.

Don't believe flipping the disc over will have any real negative effects on the shaft bearings.
Or that there would be any strength or stress issues on the disc itself.
Flipping the disc over would move it I'm guessing, close to another 3/4" of an inch onto the reverse side of the
friction wheel/plate.
This message was modified Dec 16, 2012 by jrtrebor
55utilitysedan

Reply #12   Dec 17, 2012 12:58 pm
On many blowers there is room for adjustment of the friction disk on the drive plate. Sometimes tweeking can make things better speed wise.
hcbph1

Reply #13   Dec 18, 2012 9:10 am
Assuming you have the same linkage, This may show where your linkage should line up

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t248/hcbph/Snowblower/536_882700%2010%20HP%203%20stage/Carburetor_Rebuilt.jpg

I've got several 8-10 hp's and they are all pretty much the same.  Hope it helps.

This message was modified Dec 18, 2012 by hcbph1
longboat

Reply #14   Dec 19, 2012 8:56 am
jrtrebor wrote:
....  I now have a real understanding for the comments I've
read about moving one of these track drive machines around.  They don't move.  It's like trying
to muscle a wheelbarrow full of sand around in the mud.  ....

For off-season storage, you could always tip it up on the bucket and strap some piano movers to the tracks.

I think MTD now (or over the last few years) has tracked versions that feature their "easy-steer" finger-trigger differentials, so if you happen to get a late-model Craftsman (MTD) tracked machine (or one of the many clones), you might get that feature.  Being a handyman/fixer-upper type, you could probably live with an MTD machine.

Replies: 5 - 14 of 14Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42