Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Replacing paddles

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
NickM

Replacing paddles
Original Message   Dec 3, 2012 7:18 pm
I have an old Noma SS 3.5hp machine, (actually it is my father's machine).   It is approx. 20 years old and the rubber paddles are showing some wear.  It is not at the point where there is a finger's worth of clearance between the rubber and the machine.   The original paddles are riveted in place.  Anyone have any experience on  removing these?  I was wondering what the best removal method is, (oscillating tool, sawzall, drill out heads, etc.?)    I see replacement paddles on ebay and at other internet sites and am considering changing them over if it not that big of a deal. 
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
fleetfoot

Re: Replacing paddles
Reply #1   Dec 3, 2012 7:34 pm
I have drilled out the rivets in the past.
mkd55

Reply #2   Dec 5, 2012 8:48 am
i would try drilling them out first because it might be  the fastest and easiest. if you can't get the drill in to the right spot or the rivets start to spin then i would revert to a dremel tool with a grinding stone bit. the bit can be held at right angles to the rivets to remove most of the material and then a tap with the right diameter punch will displace them the rest of the way. 
NickM

Reply #3   Dec 6, 2012 8:41 pm
Thanks for the tips.  After the 1st snowfall (if we ever get any!) I will evaluate how well the machine performed and decide on replacements.  It sounds like it can be done in an afternoon. 
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42