Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Single stage Toro vs 2-stage Honda

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
raysmd

Single stage Toro vs 2-stage Honda
Original Message   Nov 4, 2012 8:10 pm
So, there not much snow in the midatlantic (VA), but there was the occasional snow storm with more than 2 feet of snow. I'm contemplating a single stage Toro 621 vs a HS928TAS. Big difference in price, I know. I hate to buy the Toro then realize that it's not enough when the snow is piling on. The Honda is just overkill for my area though.
Replies: 9 - 18 of 28Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
aa335

Re: Single stage Toro vs 2-stage Honda
Reply #9   Nov 5, 2012 12:51 pm
I follow a much simpler approach.  If I'm doing the snow clearing, I'm buying what I need to get it done.  Or sub-contract it out and wait 24 hours after a big blizzard.  :)
This message was modified Nov 5, 2012 by aa335
borat

Reply #10   Nov 5, 2012 1:25 pm
If I'm expected to keep the driveway clear, I expect to have the required equipment to do the job.  In my younger years, it was a shovel.  When we moved into the present house with the big driveway, I could keep up with minor amounts of snow.  However, with a big dump, there's no way I'd get it done, particularly if we had to get to work.  Accordingly, machinery is required.  Now that I'm older, even a large two stage machine can be taxing.  It's not a walk in the park that's for sure.  Normally, after an hour or more of wrestling with the Simplicity, I need to change my clothes due to sweat.  Can't blame that on getting older.  I'd get just as wet 30 years ago and I was very fit.  Personally, I find a large two stage machine easier to use when there's enough snow to warrant it's use.  Using the two stage for small amounts of snow means the machine works less but I'm still working just as hard controlling it.  Hence my recent appreciation for single stage machines.  I had never owned one before two years ago and now wouldn't be without one.  That's why I've scooped up all three Tecumseh powered SS machine I've seen posted in local ads. 

I just got back in from going over the $30.00, 2006 Murray I picked up last summer.   When I bought it, I cleaned the carb and spark plug, fired it up then put it away.  Today, I opened up the housing, checked out the engine mount, belt drive system and paddles.  This machine is almost mint.   Paddles and drive belt show very little wear.  I put in some fresh fuel and fired it up on the first pull.  The engine has tons of compression and runs strong.  Responds crisply to throttle input and revs up impressively.  From what I've seen of it so far, it seems that it might even be stronger than to old '97 Craftsman, which is virtually the same machine albeit older.  

What's interesting is that the Murray was built in China (engine built in USA).   I don't see any difference in build quality between the USA built Craftsman and the Chinese built Murray.  Both look very much the same.  However, the Craftsman did have a seriously cracked engine mount which threw the pulley alignment off which caused belt destruction.  The new mount I put on fixed that.   What needs to be understood though is that the Craftsman seems to have seen a lot of hard use before I bought it and is quite a bit older.  I plan to have the Murray first out so it will be seeing yeoman duty from now on or until it fails.  We'll have to see if it will hold up as well as the old Craftsman.  From what I've seen so far, I'm fairly positive that it will.  I'll put the Craftsman on back yard duty and the MTD or Toro on the deck where they'll see considerably less work. 

Will post a video of the Murray in action once we get some snow.   
Bill_H

Reply #11   Nov 5, 2012 10:19 pm
borat wrote:
For the price of a big Honda he could buy a Toro SS machine and a mid size Ariens or Toro.  That's the route I'd go.  One of each. 

Another vote for that. Seems crazy to have a huge expensive machine you'll only need once every other year.

Going one step further, you might even consider getting a Toro 2 stroke now if you can, and see how it performs in a big snow when you get it. If you're not happy with the performance, then buy a small 2 stage Ariens.

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
raysmd

Reply #12   Nov 5, 2012 10:44 pm
I agree a single stage and 2-stage setup would be ideal. I've always been of the mind set, get the right tools for the job. Maybe buy the toro now and once I get that dreaded snow storm then I'll have my justification for buying the 2-stage thrower. so, I've found a Toro 221E for $580 shipped and a 221Q for $590 shipped. Really, get the 2-stroke over the new 621 (4-stroke)?
aa335

Reply #13   Nov 5, 2012 11:13 pm
I would suggest getting the 2-stroke Toro with the Quick chute option, that's the model 221QR or 221QE. My neighbor has the 221QR and it is a very capable machine.  That's how I found out about Toro single stage snowblowers.  Seeing it in action and I was convinced.  I have the Toro 421QE model and I really like the Quick chute, identical to the current 621QZE model. It's expensive for a few plastic parts and a cable but the convenience was well worth it in the long run.
This message was modified Nov 6, 2012 by aa335
GtWtNorth

https://t.me/pump_upp

Reply #14   Nov 6, 2012 7:22 am
raysmd, you can't go wrong with the advice the guys here give you. For my $.02 I would say the Honda is way overkill both in cost & capacity, unless you're having to clear 12" to 18" of snow two or three times a month.It's a big expense that will sit in your garage collecting dust. Start with a good SS Toro and see how it goes. Or, if you like to tinker (as many of us do) find a used one you can refurb. Put the money you saved into some other "toys".
Although with the way the weather has been working backwards the last couple of years we may all be wrong about this!

Cheers

https://t.me/pump_upp
borat

Reply #15   Nov 6, 2012 10:34 am
raysmd wrote:
I agree a single stage and 2-stage setup would be ideal. I've always been of the mind set, get the right tools for the job. Maybe buy the toro now and once I get that dreaded snow storm then I'll have my justification for buying the 2-stage thrower. so, I've found a Toro 221E for $580 shipped and a 221Q for $590 shipped. Really, get the 2-stroke over the new 621 (4-stroke)?

Depends on your preferences.  Both machines have the same basic design and power so, snow moving efficiency should be the same.  The four cycle engine will be quieter.  Thats's for sure.  The machine will be a bit heavier and you'll have to do oil changes as required and possibly the occasional valve adjustment.  From my experience, the valve lash on these utility engines seem to stay within tolerance for quite a while. 

Two cycle engines start very easily in extremely cold conditions.   That likely won't be an issue for you but around here, temps can drop to -40F.  Mixing fuel isn't that big of a deal.   Depending on usage, a  couple gallons of mixed fuel will last most of the season.   Other than cleaning the spark plug every so often, a two cycle engine reqires virtually no maintenance, which is a big plus for people no so inclined.   Two cycle engines usually smoke a bit on start up but that goes away once the choke is set to off position and the engine warms up. 

My preference is for two cycle engines.  I like their simplicity and power output.  Don't mind the sound either.

Dr_Woof

Don't blow into the wind, and don't eat yellow snow. WOOF!

Reply #16   Nov 6, 2012 12:34 pm
Well looks like my philosophy is a bit different from most.  I am happy if I can just drive out and get back and a little snow dont matter.  So....If its only an inch or three (seldom is) I just drive thru it and dont worry about a single stage - thats why I got 4WD.  If its a lot deeper a single stage wont do it, or least wont do it easily, so I break out the tracker -  in simpler terms: dont bring a knife to a gunfight.

borat

Reply #17   Nov 6, 2012 1:20 pm
And don't bring a gun to a pile of snow.
hcbph1

Reply #18   Nov 6, 2012 2:32 pm
Somewhat in the same situation but took a different direction.  I had a small single stage that was enough till the winter of 2010.  I ended up buying and rebuilding several 2 stagers (a couple to keep and the rest to sell) and I was able to essentially get a couple of 2 stagers for free.  Right now I have (after selling a couple of machines) about $100 invested in 8 blowers ranging from a 4 hp 20" to 10 hp 32".  If I sell one more, I won't have any of my $$ in any of them.

If you start with the right machine and are handy with tools, buying used can be a way to stretch your $$ a long way.  It's knowing what to look for and finding the right machine to fill your needs that's the hard part.  If you have the time and patience to do it off-season, there can be some real deals to be had.

I'm also getting up there in age, so anything that helps stall off a heart attack like 2010 tried to do to me is worth it.  I'll use my single stage on the light stuff, a 5 hp for midrange and one of the 10 hp if we get dumped on.

Replies: 9 - 18 of 28Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42