Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Single stage Toro vs 2-stage Honda

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
raysmd

Single stage Toro vs 2-stage Honda
Original Message   Nov 4, 2012 8:10 pm
So, there not much snow in the midatlantic (VA), but there was the occasional snow storm with more than 2 feet of snow. I'm contemplating a single stage Toro 621 vs a HS928TAS. Big difference in price, I know. I hate to buy the Toro then realize that it's not enough when the snow is piling on. The Honda is just overkill for my area though.
Replies: 19 - 28 of 28Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
raysmd

Re: Single stage Toro vs 2-stage Honda
Reply #19   Nov 6, 2012 2:53 pm
My only concern about the single stage is getting the blower back up the driveway. It's a decent incline. If I get the 2-stage the. It might not be useful for most of the year. I can always shovel it if it's light. I guess there isn't one machine that will be perfect for all situations
borat

Reply #20   Nov 6, 2012 4:19 pm
raysmd wrote:
My only concern about the single stage is getting the blower back up the driveway. It's a decent incline. If I get the 2-stage the. It might not be useful for most of the year. I can always shovel it if it's light. I guess there isn't one machine that will be perfect for all situations

My Driveway has an 10% grade.  It rises 11 ft. from the street, up the 110' length to the garage door.  The Toro has no trouble pulling itself up the hill.  As a matter of fact, if I set the governor over 4000 rpm, it's a handful to hold back going down the grade. 

I think you said your driveway has a 30% grade.  That's aweful steep for 200'.   Not sure how a SS machine would be to handle going down the grade moreso than up? 
aa335

Reply #21   Nov 6, 2012 4:44 pm
I concur with Borat.  My drive is roughly 8-10 percent grade and when the surface is slippery, the SS can run away downhill.  It's a fine balance holding on to the handles to keep the machine from getting away from me or it taking me down as I loose my footing.  I use spikes on my shoes to gain some traction.  So going downhill is actually more challenging than uphill. 
borat

Reply #22   Nov 6, 2012 4:51 pm
aa335 wrote:
I concur with Borat.  My drive is roughly 8-10 percent grade and when the surface is slippery, the SS can run away downhill.  It's a fine balance holding on to the handles to keep the machine from getting away from me or it taking me down as I loose my footing.  I use spikes on my shoes to gain some traction.  So going downhill is actually more challenging than uphill. 

Good idea with the spikes.  I have a pair around here somewhere.  Just have to find them. 

I actually bought a new pair of boots to provide more traction when clearing the driveway this winter.  Almost fell on my a$$ a couple times last year going down the grade using the Toro.  The Craftsman machine doesn't  pull nearly as hard as the Toro and is much easier to manage.  That's one reason I prefer to use it.  The fact that it throws snow as good as, if not better than the Toro makes it easy to like as well. 

I can't imagine a 30% grade?  That's awful steep.
raysmd

Reply #23   Nov 6, 2012 4:57 pm
That settles it. Whenever I bring the trash cans down (square Rubbermaid with wheels) they will just roll away unless I keep pulling on them. If it's the same with the SS, then I could picture myself sliding as I try to hold onto the machine. Ordering the 928 track. The 724 is the perfect size, but for a couple of hundred $ more I get the 928 with light and electric start. Thanks guys. Hopefully I get some snow. At least 8 inches or else my neighbors are going to think I'm out of my mind. If it's less, then I'll just drive over the snow
aa335

Reply #24   Nov 6, 2012 5:03 pm
borat wrote:
I can't imagine a 30% grade?  That's awful steep.

I don't see how anybody can build a driveway that steep in an area that receives ice and snow.  Is that still within building code?  It sounds difficult to deal with snow clearing even with a tracked snowblower.  I know it can climb stairs but I would not want it to climb more than 6 feet up.  That's 300 lbs of machine that can crush the operator.  Hopefully there's a shoulder of grass on both sides and not a ditch.
borat

Reply #25   Nov 6, 2012 5:16 pm
aa335 wrote:
I don't see how anybody can build a driveway that steep in an area that receives ice and snow.  Is that still within building code?  It sounds difficult to deal with snow clearing even with a tracked snowblower.  I know it can climb stairs but I would not want it to climb more than 6 feet up.  That's 300 lbs of machine that can crush the operator.  Hopefully there's a shoulder of grass on both sides and not a ditch.

Actually, the OP said the grade is 30 degrees.  That equates to a 57.7 % grade. 

Something doesn't sound right.  He'd need to hire sherpas just to help him get up and down the driveway!!

See link below:

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/slope-degrees-gradient-grade-d_1562.html
aa335

Reply #26   Nov 6, 2012 5:35 pm
borat wrote:
Actually, the OP said the grade is 30 degrees.  That equates to a 57.7 % grade. 

Something doesn't sound right.  He'd need to hire sherpas just to help him get up and down the driveway!!

I'm thinking a ski lift or a snow groomer (Pisten Bully) would be suitable for the task.
raysmd

Reply #27   Nov 6, 2012 5:41 pm
My mistake. 30 degree incline, from my geometry days.
borat

Reply #28   Nov 6, 2012 5:52 pm
raysmd wrote:
My mistake. 30 degree incline, from my geometry days.

Same difference.  A 30 degree incline is the same as a 30 degree grade or slope. 

I'm assuming you mean 30% grade which is still extremely steep.  Effectively what you saying is that your driveway, rises 60 ft. over a length of 200 ft.   That would be difficult to even walk up. 

To establish your grade, you need to know what the elevation difference is between your garage and the street.  I.e , if your garage floor is 20 ft. higher than the street and your driveway is 200' long, that's a 10% grade.  
Replies: 19 - 28 of 28Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42