Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Honda GX390 motor/no markings on oil dip stick

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
RickeyD

Honda GX390 motor/no markings on oil dip stick
Original Message   Sep 23, 2012 10:33 pm
Hello, I recently purchased a Dayton Portable Generator powered by a Honda GX390 motor. First, Dayton sent the wrong engine manual with the unit. Second, I looked up the manual online to find that the oil level in the motor is critical. I filled the engine today with oil and noticed that there are NO markings on the dipstick indicating high and low engine oil levels, only x's up and down the entire length of the stick. The online manual specified an upper and lower marking...what's up with that? How am I supposed to ensure there is sufficient oil or prevent overfilling the engine if there are no markings? Thank you.
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
carlb

Re: Honda GX390 motor/no markings on oil dip stick
Reply #1   Sep 24, 2012 9:14 am
I assuming that this gx390 does not have an extended oil fill tube and the oil fill cap is near the bottom of the motor like on most of the gx series.   If that is the case i don't believe it is possible to overfill the engine with oil as before an overfill would happen the oil would be overflowing the fill hole.   I usually fill my gx motors to the bottom of the threads of the fill hole with the engine level.
FrankMA

Re: Honda GX390 motor/no markings on oil dip stick
Reply #2   Sep 24, 2012 10:24 am
The oil is full when is just touches the upper hash marks on the dip stick. You have to unscrew the dip stick, wipe it clean but do not screw it back into the fill port. You're supposed to line up the dip stick like you would if you were going to screw it back into the fill port (without actually screwing it back in) and then check the oil level. I have a GX390 on my new Honda EM6500SX Generator and pages 43 (Engine Oil Check) & 44 (Change Engine Oil) in the Servicing your Generator section provides a drawing showing exactly how to check and change the oil.

Here's a link to the manual. You may have to do a copy and paste: http://powerequipment.honda.com/pdf/manuals/00X31Z236000.pdf

This message was modified Sep 24, 2012 by FrankMA

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42