Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Toro Single Stage 621 or 221

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
joed

Toro Single Stage 621 or 221
Original Message   Sep 15, 2012 2:39 pm
I'm sure this has been answered many times already but I'll ask again.  I have a toro 826 dual stage snowblower and would like to add a single stage toro.  One of our local dealers is having a sale on these units.  He has a bunch of toro 221Q and 221QE models from 2009 and 2010.  He also has several 621 versions from last year left over.  Price wise, the 621 are about $25 more.   The 621 does seem to be quite a bit larger than the 221 in frame size.  The questions I have would be:
1. 2 stroke or 4 stroke?
2. Electric start or not?

Thanks in advance for any responses.
Replies: 1 - 10 of 10View as Outline
aa335

Re: Toro Single Stage 621 or 221
Reply #1   Sep 16, 2012 12:05 am
Hard to make a wrong decision with the 2 stroke or the 4 stroke machine, both are good performers.  It comes down to your preference.  Electric start is not needed unless you or someone have difficulty pull starting.  The 4 stroke model have decompression so pull starting is pretty easy, one or two pulls is all needed.

I like both the 221Q and the 621Q.  The 2 stroke has an appeal of no oil changes and good power to weight, lightweight and compact in size.  The 4 stroke has quieter engine note and good torque for heavy slushy snow.  If I come across a new old stock 221Q for a decent price, I might buy it for impulse. 
joed

Reply #2   Sep 16, 2012 2:19 pm
aa335 wrote:
Hard to make a wrong decision with the 2 stroke or the 4 stroke machine, both are good performers.  It comes down to your preference.  Electric start is not needed unless you or someone have difficulty pull starting.  The 4 stroke model have decompression so pull starting is pretty easy, one or two pulls is all needed.

I like both the 221Q and the 621Q.  The 2 stroke has an appeal of no oil changes and good power to weight, lightweight and compact in size.  The 4 stroke has quieter engine note and good torque for heavy slushy snow.  If I come across a new old stock 221Q for a decent price, I might buy it for impulse. 

Thanks for the feedback.  I kind of like both but can only get one.  I did notice that the 4 stroke version is much bigger in size than the 2 stroke version.  
Bill_H

Reply #3   Sep 16, 2012 5:09 pm
FWIW, you can always buy a 4 stroke later but this might be your last chance for a new 2 stroke. I am a big fan of the Toro 2 strokes. You don't need electric start on the single stages unless someone small and weak (think grandma) is going to be using it.
This message was modified Sep 16, 2012 by Bill_H

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
aa335

Reply #4   Sep 16, 2012 11:08 pm
Bill_H wrote:
FWIW, you can always buy a 4 stroke later but this might be your last chance for a new 2 stroke. I am a big fan of the Toro 2 strokes.

Great point.  That in itself is all the reason to get a 2 stroke.  That was why I bought a Toro Powerlite with the Tecumseh 98cc engine.   Fun little machine to use and work on.  I bought it for $25 and brought it up in perfectly working condition.
borat

Reply #5   Sep 17, 2012 8:45 pm
I have the 221QE two cycle and am thoroughly impressed with all aspects of it.  Light, powerful, effective and I got a brand new one comparatively cheap.  However, as much as I like it, I have several older 139cc Tecumseh two cycle powered single stage machines that I use more than the Toro.  I have made a simple modification to them to over-ride the governors to make much more power than the stock 5 h.p. claimed for the engines.   The last machine I bought a few months ago is a Murray in near mint conditon.  I got it for $30.00.   When modified, these Tecumseh powered machines will easily outperform the 221Q.   That's entirely from almost doubling the power output because the rest of the machine isn't nearly as well designed as the Toro.   I've been flogging a 1997 Craftsman machine for two hard winters now and it's holding up nicely despite being revved 3000 rpm past it's recommended 3500 rpm.

Personally, I'd buy a used Tecumseh 2 cycle machine  cheap and hop it up.  However, if I were buying new, I'd go with a two cycle simply due to personal preference and the previously mentioned advice that they will soon be very scarce whereas four cyle machines will not.
superbuick

Reply #6   Sep 19, 2012 11:12 am
I think the 2 stroke is a no-brainer.  It will hold its value better as well seeing as how they are no longer making them.

I also think electric start is pointless unless you have a physical reason why you cant pull the starter rope - I have it on 3 of my 4 units and have never used it for anything more than the novelty of it.

joed

Reply #7   Sep 19, 2012 10:41 pm
Thanks for the advice.  I'm leaning towards the 221 at this stage but I can get the 621 for free after cashing in my visa points at home depot.  Nonetheless, I think I'll still get the 221.  I'll be going in to talk to my dealer on the weekend.  The only issue is whether to go with electric start or not.  I have no issues with starting but my aging parents live with us.  They'll use the blower on occasion and they complain about starting a little handheld blower we have.  There's a $100 price difference to move up to the electric start version.  Decisions..decisions.
borat

Reply #8   Sep 20, 2012 9:20 am
If the proper starting procedure is used, my 221 will start first pull every time.  Actually, all of my snow clearing equipment usually fire up with the first pull regardless of temperature.  I would suspect that the reason for your parents complaining about starting the leaf blower is likely from numerous pulls on the starter cord to get it to fire.   However, if the folks are physically limited, electric start will be a convenient feature.   If you can get the 221QE for $600.00 or less, that will be a good price. 

By the way, regardless of what you buy, ensure you know what the correct operating rpms are and have the engine speed measured to ensure it's correct.  My machine's governor was set at 3700 rpm.  It's stock upper rpm range is 4100 which, when adjusted to that speed made a substantial difference in power output.   However, due to the slope of my driveway, I actually had to cut the rpms back to around 4000 to keep the machine from pulling so hard going down hill.  The Toro paddles really bite and pull compared to the other SS machines I have. 
joed

Reply #9   Sep 29, 2012 4:07 pm
Thank you to all who replied.  I went with your advice and bought the toro 221QZE with quick shoot and electric start for $749 Canadian.  The electric start was $100 extra but hopefully it will be worth it.  Gotta wait a while for the snow but the combination of my toro 826 dual stage and the this single stage snowblower should be fun to use.   The snowblower came only with one key?  Was there supposed to be a 2nd set?
aa335

Reply #10   Sep 29, 2012 8:44 pm
I received one key with the Toro.  The Honda 2-stage came with two keys.
Replies: 1 - 10 of 10View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42