Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Latest Score Murray SS machine with TH139SA Engine

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
borat

Latest Score Murray SS machine with TH139SA Engine
Original Message   Jul 4, 2012 2:08 pm
Just scooped up this 2006 Murray SS machine with the vernerable Tecumseh TH139SA engine.  The thing is almost mint.  Got it for $30.00!  Took it home, pulled the carb apart, to clean it but it was spotless.  It does have a cheap plastic main jet in it though.  Nonetheless, it runs like a champ.  Previous owner said he couldn't get it running and probably needed the carb cleaned.  I found out that all that was keeping it from running was old gas with more oil in the mix than fuel.  Cleaned everything up, added fresh fuel and it fired right up.  I was amazed how good it looks considering it sat outside in the elements for a couple of years, uncovered and unprotected.  It's got a bit of rust on the muffler but nothing to be concerned about. 

Note string attached.  I figured that since I had it apart, I might as well give it the treatment.  This engine has the same crank dimensions as my Craftsman machine.  They're virtually identical.  Might as well unload the MTD now that I have two of these babies!

By the way, I noticed how quiet it is on the site.  What's happening?  Nothing going on or is everyone too busy? 

Replies: 7 - 16 of 16Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
FrankMA

Re: Latest Score Murray SS machine with TH139SA Engine
Reply #7   Jul 25, 2012 7:16 am
Nice score, borat! You're amassing quite the collection of those Tecumseh fitted SS machines.

I think it has been slow on here because of the crummy, no snow winter we just experienced. We only got about 7" of snow all winter not counting the crazy October nor'easter that rolled through and caused a ton of damage. I only used my 2 stage once all winter and my single stage twice! Also, trying to cram all the summer activities into the 3 summer months we get around here cuts into everyone's free time. Hopefully we'll all have a "real" winter this time around...

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
borat

Reply #8   Jul 25, 2012 2:52 pm
Yeah, I'm with you. 

Our winters the last few years have been nothing like what we got 30 or 40 years ago.  This climate change issue is real.  Forty years ago, it wasn't unusual to see snow banks on the sides of streets eight to twelve feet high and the road narrowed down to one lane.  Now, snow banks don't get much over 5 ft.   We're also getting a lot of southern critters coming our way.  We never had raccoons before.  Now I'm seeing (and shooting) several every year.  I even heard of one guy catching an oppossum up our way.  We're on the north shore of Lake Superior.  We never used to see animals like that this far north.  We even get turkey vultures up here now.  Never saw them 20 years ago.  Up in the arctic, people are seeing robins!  Unreal. 

No wonder I'm down to using single stage machines moreso than the big two stage snow blower.  We just don't get the same winters.  Not too happy with that either.  I love winter and I love snow.  
FrankMA

Reply #9   Jul 25, 2012 5:38 pm
I can remember going  pheasant hunting on Thanksgiving morning in snow up to my hips a few times about 30 years ago or so (a waste of time - look in the trees). Now I hunt deer in little more than a shirt and a light fleece jacket.
This message was modified Jul 25, 2012 by FrankMA

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
borat

Reply #10   Jul 25, 2012 7:35 pm
Anyone who doesn't think climate change is happening is either too young to know or live in an are where the seasons aren't noticable.  Those of us who experience the wide variatons between the seasons know it's happening.   Most people I know, like the milder winters with less snow.  However, there are a few who, like me, enjoy the winters of old. 
Dr_Woof

Don't blow into the wind, and don't eat yellow snow. WOOF!

Reply #11   Jul 26, 2012 2:42 pm
borat wrote:
Yeah, I'm with you. 

Our winters the last few years have been nothing like what we got 30 or 40 years ago.  This climate change issue is real.  Forty years ago, it wasn't unusual to see snow banks on the sides of streets eight to twelve feet high and the road narrowed down to one lane.  Now, snow banks don't get much over 5 ft.   We're also getting a lot of southern critters coming our way.  We never had raccoons before.  Now I'm seeing (and shooting) several every year.  I even heard of one guy catching an oppossum up our way.  We're on the north shore of Lake Superior.  We never used to see animals like that this far north.  We even get turkey vultures up here now.  Never saw them 20 years ago.  Up in the arctic, people are seeing robins!  Unreal. 

No wonder I'm down to using single stage machines moreso than the big two stage snow blower.  We just don't get the same winters.  Not too happy with that either.  I love winter and I love snow.  

What happened to yur memory Borat?  Winter of 2011 set records in our area!

borat

Reply #12   Jul 26, 2012 6:51 pm
"What happened to yur memory Borat?  Winter of 2011 set records in our area!"

My memory is good enough to know I wasn't in "your area".   

On average, what have your winters been like compared to 30 years ago?   Last winter, we didn't get enough snow for me to use my snowmobile even once.  A walk out in the bush revealed no snow under the bows of the spruce trees.  Don't recall the snow being much more than ankle deep after most snow falls.  I'm hoping this is more of an anomolie than an omen of the future.  Got to have snow!   
Dr_Woof

Reply #13   Jul 26, 2012 7:02 pm
borat wrote:
"What happened to yur memory Borat?  Winter of 2011 set records in our area!"

My memory is good enough to know I wasn't in "your area".   

On average, what have your winters been like compared to 30 years ago?   Last winter, we didn't get enough snow for me to use my snowmobile even once.  A walk out in the bush revealed no snow under the bows of the spruce trees.  Don't recall the snow being much more than ankle deep after most snow falls.  I'm hoping this is more of an anomolie than an omen of the future.  Got to have snow!   

Hard to figure averages fur something like this.  Last winter was very light, but no record.  2011 was record snow or close to it.  I can remember both types for as far back as I go.  I think "memory" probably introduces a bias in the "figures" though because most people will tend to remember the tough winters more than the light ones.

aa335

Reply #14   Jul 27, 2012 1:06 pm
borat wrote:
Yeah, you have to move quickly when you see one.  For some reason, they're a rarity despite the fact that they're a relatively lame machine when operated at stock rpms.  However, once the string is attached and the revs cranked up,  these things are impressive performers.   They even out-perform my stock 221Q Toro which is no slouch.    And, they're so much fun to use when the engine speed can be increased as required.  Cannot attest to how long the engine can take the additional load/speed.  I've used my old '97 Craftsman as my primary snow clearer for a couple winters now and it's seen some steady, fairly heavy work.  It's not showing any signs of giving up any time soon.  Those 139cc Tecumseh engines have been stout little units so far. 

Good luck in your search.  Something should come up in the fall. 

I wondered if these engines are purposely "crippled" or "detuned" so that they don't tear up the rest of the snowblower.  Reminds me of early Honda V6 and Subaru WRX engines when mated to an automatic transmission, performance was very lame.

Anyways, I've tried increasing the RPMS on my 4 strokeHonda HS621 snowblower and 2 stroke Powerlite.  I didn't like the extra vibration and noise.  There's no dampening and sound reduction in these machines so it got too uncomfortable to operate. Maybe that's the nature of these snowblowers.  They keep the RPM of the engine low so they don't need vibration and noise control.
borat

Reply #15   Jul 27, 2012 10:07 pm
That's why I like to have the equivalent of a throttle.  Crank it up when necessary and back it off when not.  I've not noticed any undue vibration from the added engine speed.  Especially when the machine is under load.  It just growls and goes to work throwing snow with impressive effectiveness.   Personally, I think the main reason for keeping these small two cycle engines set at lower speeds is noise.  The decibels go up considerably with added rpms.  Enough to put off most operators.  However, for motorheads like many of us, it's more music than noise. 

I see a Toro CCR2000 in very good condition, available locally for $60.00.  I'm tempted but have too many machines as it is.  I believe the CCR2000 has the Suzuki 47P engine which would be neat to add to the fleet.  However, for consistency purpose  ease of modification and impressive performance, I'm going to stick to the Tecumseh 139cc machines.    
Dr_Woof

Reply #16   Jul 29, 2012 11:53 am
borat wrote:
Just scooped up this 2006 Murray SS machine with the vernerable Tecumseh TH139SA engine.  The thing is almost mint.  Got it for $30.00!  Took it home, pulled the carb apart, to clean it but it was spotless.  It does have a cheap plastic main jet in it though.  Nonetheless, it runs like a champ.  Previous owner said he couldn't get it running and probably needed the carb cleaned.  I found out that all that was keeping it from running was old gas with more oil in the mix than fuel.  Cleaned everything up, added fresh fuel and it fired right up.  I was amazed how good it looks considering it sat outside in the elements for a couple of years, uncovered and unprotected.  It's got a bit of rust on the muffler but nothing to be concerned about. 

Note string attached.  I figured that since I had it apart, I might as well give it the treatment.  This engine has the same crank dimensions as my Craftsman machine.  They're virtually identical.  Might as well unload the MTD now that I have two of these babies!

By the way, I noticed how quiet it is on the site.  What's happening?  Nothing going on or is everyone too busy? 

We are the Snow People.  And, unlike the Bears, we hibernate in summer!  Three more monthe to go (yawn).

Replies: 7 - 16 of 16Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42