Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > cub cadet 2186 deck assist

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mkd55

cub cadet 2186 deck assist
Original Message   May 16, 2012 3:33 pm
have a 2001 2000 series 2186 which has the right side deck assist spring. this spring is mounted to a chrome horizontal rod that is bolted to the right side of the frame inboard of the rear right tire and wheel.the rear of the rod was rubbing on the inside of the rear right tire so i took it apart and shimmed it so it doesn't ride on the tire anymore.i for the life of me can't see how this rod and spring setup assists the deck raising ?the  chrome rod has a hole roughly mid way in it's lenght and is held in place by a bolt thru the frame.  the rod itself can pivot freely on the bolt and a spring is attached at the foreward end of the rod and to the rear right corner of the mower deck?with the rod being able to pivot in the center can someone explain to me how it assists the deck raising and lowering?as the deck goes up and down the rod just pivots on it's mounting bolt? i've had this deck off a couple of times since new for cleaning and pretty sure everything is attached correctly.does anyone know how the right side power assist is suppose to function?
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Bill_H

Re: cub cadet 2186 deck assist
Reply #1   May 16, 2012 6:52 pm
Your parts manual is here: http://www.m-and-d.com/pdfs/MTD/2186.pdf and the implement lift hanger is on page 38. For the 44" deck, pg 40 shows the lift assist rod in the top left corner. You shouldn't have to shim that, there's a spring on the shoulder bolt that keeps the rod away from the frame. Now look in the operators manual: http://lawnandgarden.manualsonline.com/manuals/mfg/cub_cadet/2186.html?idRes=7501957 On page 33 it shows 3 pictures of the assist setup. The end of the rod opposite the spring should be hooked under the frame, putting tension on the spring. The rod should not pivot freely when tensioned correctly, rather, the spring will pull up on the deck. It sounds to me as if the shoulder bolt was replaced at one time and not correctly reassembled.

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
mkd55

Re: cub cadet 2186 deck assist
Reply #2   May 17, 2012 3:08 am
bill i got online to the operators manual page 33 fig 28 and 29.the bottom of the spring on my tractor is secured in the hole in the right rear deck bracket as illustrated in fig 29.and not to the pigtail clip as seen in fig 28 page 33.the rear arm of the rod to the best of my recollection has never been secured under the frame putting tension on the spring since i bought the tractor new in 2001.it appears i have been running the tractor with the deck spring assist not working properly for a long long time or maybe since new!i beleave the spring it self is installed correctly to the deck mount and front end of rod and i will apply tension to the spring and place it under the rear right frame to see how it lines up. i just went out and hooked the rear of the spring assist lever under the frame and everything works and is as it should be.i also found out the pigtail clip is anchored to the frame and is there for the bottom of the spring to hook into  when it's shipped without the deck!it mounts to the pigtail when  no deck is attached and to the hole in the right rear deck support when the deck is attached. problem solved!!!   thanks for your response and referencing the online manuals for service and operation.i have included them in my favorites along with the parts manual for future reference. regards mike janesville wi.
This message was modified May 17, 2012 by mkd55
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42