Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Redesigned Ariens Chain Tensioner

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
bbwb

Less is more...more or less

Redesigned Ariens Chain Tensioner
Original Message   Feb 5, 2005 9:36 pm
Hi Everyone:

Just thought that I would share how I wound up redesigning the chain tensioner on my Ariens 1028.  If some of you might recall at WTB, I was complaining how the chain tensioner would be "bent" away from the chain during heavy loading and thus would leave the chain slack during easy going.  This slack would cause the chain to bunch up and jamb at the lower gear to case location.  I wound up using an original Ariens hex shaft and modified it by having a larger diameter sleeve bushing welded onto the threaded end of the shaft.  After cutting to the proper length, I mounted it into a rigid flange bearing.  Careful locating and drilling of hole and SUCCESS!!

Here is the link to the photos of this modification, I hope it works.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/bbwb/Chaintensionercloseup.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/bbwb/Chaincatchpoint.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/bbwb/Oldtensioner.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/bbwb/HexShaftcopy.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/bbwb/Cutdownhexshaft.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/bbwb/Newhexshaft.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/bbwb/Newconfiguration.jpg

I believe that the original configuration that is on my machine is the same as the current ones....Maybe if PK takes this back to the company I might get a large royalty check so that I may retire???

Let me know what you guys think.

bbwb

This message was modified Feb 7, 2005 by a moderator
Replies: 11 - 20 of 20Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
robmints

Re: Redesigned Ariens Chain Tensioner
Reply #11   Feb 5, 2005 11:04 pm
Jonathan,

Forward one side is in tension, reverse the other. On a bike you are always going forward.
bbwb

Reply #12   Feb 5, 2005 11:04 pm
Well, here it goes with another pic...

Oh Boy, look at me go now!!!

The hex shaft if the same one that is on the machine now.  Go to the parts radar and find the shaft, make the mods, and your in business!

This whole thing cost me the following:

Hex shaft from dealer $27

Machine shop time to make sleeve bushing $20

Bearing from Grainger $11 plus shipping

My time to cut shaft, mount, and adjust...priceless (really more like 2.5 hrs)

bbwb

Jonathan

I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house. -Zsa Zsa

Reply #13   Feb 6, 2005 8:59 am
Robmints,

Thanks. Do you happen to know if the chain tension on the idler pulley and shaft occurs when the machine is going in forward or reverse?

Jonathan

2004 Ariens 11528LE, Troybilt Horse "Big Red" Tiller (original), Troybilt Tuffy Tiller (original), Sears LT1000 mower, Lawn Boy 7073 21" mower, Stihl FS55 RC trimmer, Poulan Countervibe 3400 chainsaw
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #14   Feb 6, 2005 9:28 am
Ingeneous and exquisitely executed!! 

Marc

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
robmints

Reply #15   Feb 6, 2005 10:19 am
Jonathan wrote:
Robmints,

Thanks. Do you happen to know if the chain tension on the idler pulley and shaft occurs when the machine is going in forward or reverse?

Jonathan

No, I don't have an Ariens and I can't tell if I'm looking at the right or left side of the machine.
JohnEDavies

Reply #16   Feb 6, 2005 11:23 am
That's a very slick and professional job.

I have noticed that one or more of  the cogs on my 926DLE don't run true (radially) - the tenson changes dramatically as the axle turns. Was this case with your machine? If you neglect to set the tension at the tightest spot, the chain will bind, dig into the roller and perhaps bend the adjuster shaft.

In other words, does your chain tension vary after doing your mod?

Have you sent an email to Ariens support?

Thanks.

John
This message was modified Feb 6, 2005 by JohnEDavies
bbwb

Reply #17   Feb 6, 2005 12:08 pm
Hi Johnathan:

What I found is that the taught side of the chain is as follows:

Moving forward - opposite of the tensioner

Reverse - same side as the tensioner

The bending force on the original tensioner would only occur while trying to back the machine out of hole etc...It was so great that the side case of blower would distort at the slotted hole.  My first repair was to add the larger fender washers to each side of the hex shaft.  That worked for awhile but would still be moved out of position thus not keeping any tension on the chain.  While rolling the blower around in the garage (not under its own power) I would hear a metallic clicky click.  What I found was that the chain, not being under any tension, would bunch up at the bottom sprocket and was contacting the bottom case cross member.  Twice the chain got caught and would not allow me to move it at all!!

To answer Johns question:

There certainly is some wobble in the drive sprocket and my new tensioner...from the factory welding of the sprocket onto the hex shaft.  My wobble is not radially but laterally.

bbwb

Jonathan

I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house. -Zsa Zsa

Reply #18   Feb 6, 2005 5:28 pm
Thanks, bbwb. That is sort of what I thought, but wasn't sure. Your new set up looks great.

Jonathan

2004 Ariens 11528LE, Troybilt Horse "Big Red" Tiller (original), Troybilt Tuffy Tiller (original), Sears LT1000 mower, Lawn Boy 7073 21" mower, Stihl FS55 RC trimmer, Poulan Countervibe 3400 chainsaw
bbwb

Reply #19   Feb 7, 2005 8:39 pm
Hi JohnEDavies:

After reading your post about the radially off center gear reminded me of a message that I received from PK.  In the message he said that the hex shaft might have a weld filet binding on the chain or possibly some weld splatter.  Another thing to look for would be that the hex shaft if very straight.  Hope this helps.

bbwb

Highwind

Despite the high cost of living, have you noticed how it remains so popular.

Reply #20   Feb 7, 2005 8:55 pm
bbwb,

Great idea!  Nice design you've got there.

Honda stable: HS 724 snowblower;  HRS216 lawnmower; BF2 UWWW; 5 HP, 2200 psi/2.9 GPM pressure washer.

Electric: BV2500 B&D Leaf Hog/snow duster; old 12" Weedeater.

Replies: 11 - 20 of 20Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42