Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > high altitude jet kits...

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

high altitude jet kits...
Original Message   Feb 5, 2005 7:56 pm
this aint what you hope for.

the engines are designed to run properly  at sealevel or up a few thousand feet.

a high altitude jet kit will actually lean out the engine.

think about it ...less oxygen  further up you go .so engine requires less fuel not more.

thats why the folks climbing the high mountains carry oxygen bottles.

so unless the kit comes with an adjustable nozzle your in for a scorched engine.

bottom line is you wont find any manufacturer coming up with any legal way of selling you somthing to richen up your engine.

very large fines involved in that.

later chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
robmints

Re: high altitude jet kits...
Reply #1   Feb 5, 2005 8:00 pm
A fix for a rough running machine due to a lean mix might be a ream job or a $80 carb with a creatively picked model number?
MountainMan

Overpowered is Usually Adequate

Reply #2   Feb 5, 2005 11:27 pm
snowshoveler wrote:

the engines are designed to run properly  at sealevel or up a few thousand feet.

later chris

Less fuel and air = LESS HOARSEPOWER.

This is exactly why when we get replies from out west, I ask ELEVATION. You need extra hoarsepower  the Higher you are.

A 11 HP machine performs more like a 7-8 HP engine when up at 8,000 feet. ( 3%+ power loss per 1000 feet)

And a 5hp 2 stage ?? I honestly dont think it is worth the effort.

Great topic Chris.

This message was modified Feb 5, 2005 by MountainMan

Ariens 1128PRO- Honda Generator_ Husky 480-257 Jonsered 2050Turbo- Shindiawa T2500 SCAG Mower -little wonder blower-Sears track blower-Coleman Generator- Bombadier ATV-Stihl HS-45 Etc-Etc-Etc
18Degrees

Reply #3   Feb 5, 2005 11:33 pm
you must install nitrous to compensate for the lack of horsepower, pricey to run though.   Try a turbo or a belt driven eaton supercharger.  Make sure you install a boost guage next to your hour meter. :)                                          18 degrees

18 Degree driveway - 928 Honda track drive - Fertilizer spreader for dispensing salt
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #4   Feb 6, 2005 11:20 pm
robmints wrote:
A fix for a rough running machine due to a lean mix might be a ream job or a $80 carb with a creatively picked model number?

Hi Rob,

I admit that by creatively picking the correct carburetor for my snowblower certainly made it run much better than it did without question, what actually made it perform better  was by setting the engine speed closer to what Tecumseh said was the upper side of the governed engine speed.  I was poking around the internet recently and found another forum that had a discussion at length about horse power ratings within the OPE industry.  Frankly, I was amazed at what I was reading.  A number of the individuals that were posting on this subject must have gotten straight "A's" in physics. 

It also pretty much proved the point I was trying to make on another thread on this forum, why engines of the same CC's can be rated at such varied HP.  I look at the engine model on my Toro snowblower being an LH318SA.  This model number always appears as a HMSK90.  If you look up the governed speeds of this engine, you'll notice at least (3) separate governed speeds depending on whether it has an alternator for charging a battery or an 18 watt alternator for Halogen lights, or no electrical options at all.  In the order as just listed, the speeds are, 3,450, 3,600(halogen light equiped), 3,250 (no electric options).  So I ask the question, how does this Snow King 9 HP engine produce the rated horse power if the governor can be set at either of these speeds or anything in-between?  What is the horse power the engine puts out at 3,250 RPM's as opposed to 3,600 RPM's?

Like the consensus was on the other forum, HP ratings are all fudged big time on OPE.  I'd still try to get your carb in order, but I'd also get a good RPM meter on your engine and at least see what it's running at.  If you want performance, look to the maximum rated speed you can run the engine. 

This message was modified Feb 6, 2005 by Richie

Richie
snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #5   Feb 8, 2005 7:55 pm
im with Richie on this one .

we set snow engines to the max rated rpm.and we use one of those point and squirt tachometers good for at least 20 grand and accurate to 10 of rpms .i have noted that as little as 50 rpm will make quite a difference with the distance of thrown snow.sombody posted earlier what we call this but i already forgot what it was.

my memory is going now i guess...maybe it has somthing to do with those spook friends of Marshall

layer chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #6   Feb 8, 2005 8:14 pm
snowshoveler wrote:
im with Richie on this one .

we set snow engines to the max rated rpm.and we use one of those point and squirt tachometers good for at least 20 grand and accurate to 10 of rpms .i have noted that as little as 50 rpm will make quite a difference with the distance of thrown snow.

Thanks for that one Chris That was exactly my impression when I did that on my snowblower.  I'm told my maximum engine speed is, 3,450 RPM's, yet I set it 50 RPM's below that to 3,400.  My snowblower was able to tunnel into a snowbank 7" or 8" higher than the auger housing.  Prior to this, the engine nearly stalled trying to blow through the EOD equal to the height of the auger housing.

Richie
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42