Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Spit, Sputter, Cough,Blemph

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Spit, Sputter, Cough,Blemph
Original Message   Feb 5, 2005 8:17 am
These are the sounds issued forth from my beloved Tecumseh engines equipped with fixed Jets. I don't own one but my friend does on a machine I recomended and he constantly rags me about it. In an effort to get him off my back I have researched the following and these are the results:

1) The replacement carb for a medium frame Tecumseh is 632334A ( this is a part # that replaces a disontinued part but the blow up diagram of the replacement shows an adjustable main jet. Therefore I ASSUME it is adjustable.

2) The carburetor repair kit for this model is 632347 

I was able to secure a blowup diagram of this carb and the list of parts in the repair kit. It APPEARS all of the main jet parts are present in the kit.I NEED VERIFICATION If this includes the needle and the jet. 

If one were to remove the fixed jet from the current carb which I believe is the green plastic tube held in by O-rings and replace it with the adjustable jet and needle from the #632347 repair kit would it work? Could you retrofit the new bowl with the adjustable assembly or would you have to buy a new bowl?

If anybody could verify or correct my assumptions I would be most appreciative.

Marc

Just for the record -theHonda GX series engine on my power washer made the same spit, sputter,cough,blemph sounds due to it's fixed jet carb. Honda has addressed this problem by producing a line of altitude related jets. Another words if you want to richen up a Honda fixed jet carb parts are available. The carb will still be fixed jet but at a richer setting.

This message was modified Feb 5, 2005 by mml4

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
Replies: 15 - 24 of 77Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
robmints

Re: Spit, Sputter, Cough,Blemph
Reply #15   Feb 5, 2005 12:22 pm
I thought Marty was talking about the bowl nut?
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #16   Feb 5, 2005 12:28 pm
mml4 wrote:

Are you sure the green tube is called an emolition tube.? I thought the emolition tube was the tube cast into the Tec. carb body that couldn't be removed. I remember it as the part you couldn't see but could hear rattling if you shook the carb next to your ear.

I am aware of the fact when shaking a carburetor, you should hear a rattling.  Whether this is the tube in question, I'm not sure now.  I only know if it doesn't rattle, a new carburetor may have to be purchased.  At least that is what I was made to understand.  I was hoping someone that actually rebuilds these carbs would, or could set us all straight.  Rebuilding automotive engines and carburetors was never this frustrating.

Also, since you are considering using parts from both an EPA carb and the adjustable type, at this point you may actually have to acquire the parts and physically install them and see what happens.  If your idea works, it would be a very inexpensive fix rather than purchase a new carb as I have done.  Sorry I can't be more help.

Richie
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #17   Feb 5, 2005 1:31 pm
Hi Mints!

The bowl nut is to my understanding part of the main jet assembly. That tube with the holes in it holds a needle valve that adjusts from the bottom. Kind of like the spray bar assembly on a model airplane engine.

Marc

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #18   Feb 5, 2005 5:06 pm
nope it wont work...

the plastic tube that nobody can spell the name of is easily removed.as are the 2 o rings,that hold it in place.however the old style carb has a brass tube thats pressed in place.have never been able to get one out.

the adjustable high speed nozzle (thats on the bottom of the bowl) has a long thread and it runs up in the carb and mates in the brass tube.

the new  non adjustable also mates with the plastic tube but the lengths are different and the thread is not the same ( i think).

now that you are all dissapointed and cranky about it maybee i will just tell you how to repair the new emission style carb.

say please...

later chris 

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
snowshoveler

Reply #19   Feb 5, 2005 5:14 pm
ha ha the fix is in now.

now you all understand that the PLASTIC tube is where the fuel starts bubbling up into the throat of the carb...its that whole venturi deal that we learned in school.

the fuel is supposed to be evenly atomized and the engine is supposed to run at different temps and speeds.

thats a whole lot to ask from an engine with this style carb...BECAUSE  it must meet emission regulations.you guys in california are well used to this story.

so what do we do with the engine or the carb.

its basically running in a lean condition most of the time ,add some below 0 temps and its really lean.

no power and surging and hunting all over the place...

got you hooked yet

later chris 

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
snowshoveler

Reply #20   Feb 5, 2005 5:36 pm
we have to richen it up somehow...

those of you that are familiar with my teachings will already be on to the cure for the carb.

we cant change a bunch of stuff  ,its illeagle (sp).so it must look like its not been tampered with.

we dont want the emission police catching us now do we.

so we know that the plastic tube has some holes in it and the bowl retaining bolt may have 1 or more holes in it depending on hp

now the fuel has to flow through the hole and up into the venturi.correct.

we also know that these parts have been gummed up with some bad gas so we have to clean everyone of them .now some of the holes might be plugged a bit and we might just have to ream them out with a fine wire cleaner usually found in the tip cleaners with the acetylene torch gear.

everyone understand now,be carefull not to ream the holes to much or your engine will be to RICH.

later chris

Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #21   Feb 5, 2005 5:53 pm
Hi Chris,

I was going through my folder, which has now grown to about 1" thick in the last week, and found, as you pointed out, the brass tube on my new carburetor is a permanent part of it.  Only the plastic tube or green one in this particular case is removable, again as you pointed out.

From the information you've provided, I don't regret jumping the gun anymore having purchased a new carburetor.  I doubt any reputable shop would dare "ream" a carb in efforts to "clean" it (I understand, Chris  )  for a customer and hope that the "ream cleaning"    would yield the desired results.  Thanks again Chris for jumping in, everyone interested in this thread appreciates it 

Richie
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #22   Feb 5, 2005 7:33 pm
Hi Chris-

Man  am I glad your computer got fixed! Thank you so much for the explanation. 

As always one explanation leads to another question. You mention that depending on hp the bowl nut on the new style carbs have a different number of holes. If we ordered the bowl assembly for a larger hp medium frame engine and put it on the low hp medium frame engine could we pick up some free ponys?

In a recent thread someone explored the hp ratings of Tec. engines and shared with us a conversation he had with a tech at Tecumseh.He was told  the difference in hp between engines of the same displacement was achieved only through jetting.

We brothers of the snow flake really  those "free" ponys,

Marc

snowshoveler

Reply #23   Feb 5, 2005 7:48 pm
you could yes ,

but i was speaking in general

covering more than one engine from 5 to 11 or 12 horsepower.

the ratings seem a little fudged to me anyway.

i shortblocked a snowblower and the same shortblock fits everything from an 8 to an 11 horse.

so whats the diff,carb, head ,cylinder head gasket and possibly iginition but i dont think so yet.

will check on it more.

i do know that the shortblock came with 2 headgaskets ,one being a bit thicker than the other.

later chris  

Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #24   Feb 10, 2005 1:51 pm
Hi folks,

It's called, EMULSION tube.  I just checked to see exactly what Tecumseh calls this part in their service manual.  Shows exactly how to remove and replace it, at least if you have the plastic emulsion tube.

I just received 3 different hard copy service manuals for Tecumseh engines.  Tecumseh Carburetor Identification / Troubleshooting and Service manual, Tecumseh Ignition Systems, and 3-11 HP 4-Cycle L-head Engines.  I've only gone through the Carburetor manual.  The color photos showing how to rebuild them with step by step procedures are really great.  Makes the procedure almost fool proof.  Even if you don't intend to do any work on your carb, this manual really help you understand how all the different carbs work and identify the one on your OPE.  I don't know if these are downloadable, I myself just wanted hard copies.  With all the little progression holes beneath the Welch plugs, no wonder these carburetors clog so easily.

Richie
Replies: 15 - 24 of 77Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42