Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Spit, Sputter, Cough,Blemph

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Spit, Sputter, Cough,Blemph
Original Message   Feb 5, 2005 8:17 am
These are the sounds issued forth from my beloved Tecumseh engines equipped with fixed Jets. I don't own one but my friend does on a machine I recomended and he constantly rags me about it. In an effort to get him off my back I have researched the following and these are the results:

1) The replacement carb for a medium frame Tecumseh is 632334A ( this is a part # that replaces a disontinued part but the blow up diagram of the replacement shows an adjustable main jet. Therefore I ASSUME it is adjustable.

2) The carburetor repair kit for this model is 632347 

I was able to secure a blowup diagram of this carb and the list of parts in the repair kit. It APPEARS all of the main jet parts are present in the kit.I NEED VERIFICATION If this includes the needle and the jet. 

If one were to remove the fixed jet from the current carb which I believe is the green plastic tube held in by O-rings and replace it with the adjustable jet and needle from the #632347 repair kit would it work? Could you retrofit the new bowl with the adjustable assembly or would you have to buy a new bowl?

If anybody could verify or correct my assumptions I would be most appreciative.

Marc

Just for the record -theHonda GX series engine on my power washer made the same spit, sputter,cough,blemph sounds due to it's fixed jet carb. Honda has addressed this problem by producing a line of altitude related jets. Another words if you want to richen up a Honda fixed jet carb parts are available. The carb will still be fixed jet but at a richer setting.

This message was modified Feb 5, 2005 by mml4

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
Replies: 7 - 16 of 77Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
JohnEDavies

Re: Spit, Sputter, Cough,Blemph
Reply #7   Feb 5, 2005 11:41 am
Richie wrote:

Unless the carb kit comes with a replacement tube (Emollition tube??)

"Emulsion:  a suspension of small globules of one liquid in a second liquid with which the frst will not mix" - for example oil in vinegar.

The use of the word is technically incorrect in referring to a gasoline carburetor. In the emulsion tube the fuel droplets mix with air to make a frothy blend that atomizes better in the intake tract.

BTW, I just searched dictionary.com for "emulsion tube" and it asked me if I really meant "demolition derby"......

John
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #8   Feb 5, 2005 11:43 am
JohnEDavies wrote:

"Emulsion:  a suspension of small globules of one liquid in a second liquid with which the frst will not mix" - for example oil in vinegar.

The use of the word is technically incorrect in referring to a gasoline carburetor. In the emulsion tube the fuel droplets mix with air to make a frothy blend that atomizes better in the intake tract.

BTW, I just searched dictionary.com for "emulsion tube" and it asked me if I really meant "demolition derby"......

John

I'm just glad to hear you used a dictionary, I was almost worried about you.
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #9   Feb 5, 2005 11:51 am
Have seen it spelled "emolition"

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #10   Feb 5, 2005 11:54 am
Exactly the reason I said emulsion with the ???.  I've read some trouble shooting on carbs, and this tube is sometimes referred to as "emulsion tube"   For whatever reason, none of my parts views even show this component.  In any event, this is why I mentioned to Marc that the carburetor may not function correctly if removed.   How do I refer to this component? Believe it or not, before I posted the first response to Marc, I too checked the dictionary  The reason for the "????"

"BTW, I just searched dictionary.com for "emulsion tube" and it asked me if I really meant "demolition derby".

Jonn, that did give me a laugh

Richie
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #11   Feb 5, 2005 11:58 am
mml4 wrote:
Have seen it spelled "emolition"

Marc, the reason I originally checked the dictionary was because I saw it spelled like, "Emolltion"  Even my dictionary said, I need to learn how to spell.  So I used the spelling in the dictionary as, Emulsion.  Again, we need a Smiley showing him scratching his little head

Richie
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #12   Feb 5, 2005 12:01 pm
Too funny, now everyone is off checking their exploded carburetor views and going through every dictionary they have. 

Richie
robmints

Reply #13   Feb 5, 2005 12:10 pm
Main Entry: emul·sion
Pronunciation: i-'m&l-sh&n
Function: noun
Etymology: New Latin emulsion-, emulsio, from Latin emulgEre to milk out, from e- + mulgEre to milk; akin to Old English melcan to milk, Greek amelgein
1 a : a system (as fat in milk) consisting of a liquid dispersed with or without an emulsifier in an immiscible liquid usually in droplets of larger than colloidal size b : the state of such a system
2 : SUSPENSION 2b(3); especially : a suspension of a sensitive silver salt or a mixture of silver halides in a viscous medium (as a gelatin solution) forming a coating on photographic plates, film, or paper

Em`ol`li´tion
n. 1. The act of softening or relaxing; relaxation.
Source mw.com

What this has to do with a carb, I have no idea.
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #14   Feb 5, 2005 12:14 pm
Richie-

Friends machine is new last season and runs great. Just suffers from the "fixed jet blues".

My point on the green tube is that I believe it takes the place of the adjustable jet . It's that part that you refer to as the brass tube going into the carb throat. It's the picture that Marty posts from time to time telling folks to clean the two holes with the bread wire. I may be wrong in calling it the adjustable jet but I have heard it referrd to as that in conversations with others. My hope is you pull the green tube and either refit the existing new style bowl with the the adjustable assembly  or purchase a bowl that will accept the adjustable assembly and that this will work.

If the adjustable mates up with the hole that the green tube was removed from I think you would have to leave the o-ring in the hole to prevent an air leak. The one thing that will tell if this scheme will work is to know if the green tube and the adjustable tube are the same length. Being that the bowls are the same depth and the carb housings are the same  there is a shot this will work.  

Are you sure the green tube is called an emolition tube.? I thought the emolition tube was the tube cast into the Tec. carb body that couldn't be removed. I remember it as the part you couldn't see but could hear rattling if you shook the carb next to your ear.

Marc

This message was modified Feb 5, 2005 by mml4

robmints

Reply #15   Feb 5, 2005 12:22 pm
I thought Marty was talking about the bowl nut?
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #16   Feb 5, 2005 12:28 pm
mml4 wrote:

Are you sure the green tube is called an emolition tube.? I thought the emolition tube was the tube cast into the Tec. carb body that couldn't be removed. I remember it as the part you couldn't see but could hear rattling if you shook the carb next to your ear.

I am aware of the fact when shaking a carburetor, you should hear a rattling.  Whether this is the tube in question, I'm not sure now.  I only know if it doesn't rattle, a new carburetor may have to be purchased.  At least that is what I was made to understand.  I was hoping someone that actually rebuilds these carbs would, or could set us all straight.  Rebuilding automotive engines and carburetors was never this frustrating.

Also, since you are considering using parts from both an EPA carb and the adjustable type, at this point you may actually have to acquire the parts and physically install them and see what happens.  If your idea works, it would be a very inexpensive fix rather than purchase a new carb as I have done.  Sorry I can't be more help.

Richie
Replies: 7 - 16 of 77Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42