Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Honda HS35 Snowblower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
blumonster

Honda HS35 Snowblower
Original Message   Oct 14, 2011 4:29 pm
Hello,

This is my first post here.

I recently got a used old Honda HS35 snowblower for $80.

It starts and runs with choke 'closed'. The choke knob is loose, moves around with the vibration.And when I put the choke on 'open' position it most of the time surges (up and down). I added some seafoam and noticed that it helped it stabilize on that day. I started it again today and it still surges when the choke is 'open' during the first few minutes, then stabilizes. Is this normal?  To start the machine the choke needs to be 'closed' or it won't start.

This is my first snowblower, I have not worked on a snowblower before.

Auger's rubber parts are not new, the previous owner said he replaced them 3 years ago.It looks like rubber parts are worn by about half an inch maybe.Because I can see where the tip of the rubber was at one point by looking at the very thin end of the rubber.

Scraper bar is not rubber, it looks like it is made from harder plastic and the edges have 3-5 indents froms scraping. Do I have to replace these this year or will they work for now?

Is the price I paid fair for the machine I described above? Is it too much?

Thanks.

Replies: 20 - 29 of 57Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
MN_Runner

Re: Honda HS35 Snowblower
Reply #20   Nov 19, 2011 12:22 pm
Good! I ordered the same part as the one you have gotten.  I am planning to take the plastic cover off and start sanding it down and paint the metal. 

The hardest part will be masking the area that you don't want painted. My blower has a serial number of 1037823 so it is much older than what you have, but

the scraper housing looks same as yours and the rubber should fit just fine.  The previous owner must have changed it at some point.

I don't think he has serviced it in past 5-8 years. I have a tachometer installed on the blower so I can get direct RPM.  Not sure if it is worth the money ($20 shipped). 

I doubt HS35 will blow snow that good but I could be wrong.  I am not going to sink anymore on this blower after buying couple of $5 paint cans until I know this thing

can blow snow.

This message was modified Nov 19, 2011 by MN_Runner
blumonster

Reply #21   Nov 19, 2011 1:00 pm
This is how mine sounds like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Of_siqIYsk&hd=1

This message was modified Nov 19, 2011 by blumonster
MN_Runner

Reply #22   Nov 19, 2011 2:51 pm
A nice machine, blumonster!  Your blower's exterior is in a much better shape. 

There was a small gas leak so it was fixed by tightening a couple of bolts that secure the carburator.

Unfortunately my parts are not here yet and are due on Monday.  The belt needs to replaced as it looks old and hard so I will do that on Monday.

At least, the belt job does not look too tough.

This is a complicated machine and it is amazing there really has not been that much major changes between 1980 and 2011.  If this thing blows

snow then I will be impressed as I have very low expectations.

aa335

Reply #23   Nov 19, 2011 3:06 pm
blumonster wrote:
Very nice.  I like how these things look.  The top plastic cover looks like a hood of an automobile.  Sounds good too.

I don't know if the HS35 has a brake for the auger.  When you release the bail lever, the auger should stop right away.  There's a brake that rides over the belt next to the auger pulley that comes down when you let go the bail lever.  
MN_Runner

Reply #24   Nov 19, 2011 3:08 pm
No brake.  The auger spins until all the energy is dissipated due to drag and friction.
aa335

Reply #25   Nov 19, 2011 3:13 pm
MN_Runner wrote:
No brake.  The auger spins until all the energy is dissipated due to drag and friction.

Thanks.  Good to know.

Make sure you keep an eye on those fasteners, they like to vibrate loose.  Especially the ones on the handle and chute area.  I've replaced them with nyloc nuts when possible.
blumonster

Reply #26   Nov 19, 2011 3:50 pm
MN_Runner wrote:
A nice machine, blumonster!  Your blower's exterior is in a much better shape. 

There was a small gas leak so it was fixed by tightening a couple of bolts that secure the carburator.

Unfortunately my parts are not here yet and are due on Monday.  The belt needs to replaced as it looks old and hard so I will do that on Monday.

At least, the belt job does not look too tough.

This is a complicated machine and it is amazing there really has not been that much major changes between 1980 and 2011.  If this thing blows

snow then I will be impressed as I have very low expectations.

Thanks MN_Runner, I have rust issues too.Next year if I have the opportunity hopefully I will 'recondition' it.

I saw moisture on fuel area too.Just above muffler.I might have the same problem.

I will add a picture of that area.

I got Gates brand equivalent Powerated V belts.I hear a squek-like sound when I first push the lever.I wonder...

Let's wait and see how they will perform.Hopefully exceed your expectations.

blumonster

Reply #27   Nov 19, 2011 3:53 pm
aa335 wrote:
Very nice.  I like how these things look.  The top plastic cover looks like a hood of an automobile.  Sounds good too.

I don't know if the HS35 has a brake for the auger.  When you release the bail lever, the auger should stop right away.  There's a brake that rides over the belt next to the auger pulley that comes down when you let go the bail lever.  

I wonder the same thing too.I thought when I let the lever off it should have stop turning.It does not.

Maybe the belt is too tight, I have not opened belt cover yet.We will see...

MN_Runner

Reply #28   Nov 19, 2011 4:46 pm
blumonster wrote:
Thanks MN_Runner, I have rust issues too.Next year if I have the opportunity hopefully I will 'recondition' it.

I saw moisture on fuel area too.Just above muffler.I might have the same problem.

I will add a picture of that area.

I got Gates brand equivalent Powerated V belts.I hear a squek-like sound when I first push the lever.I wonder...

Let's wait and see how they will perform.Hopefully exceed your expectations.

There are two 10mm bolts just above the exhaust.  I tightened these two bolts and now the leak is gone.  When I engage auger clutch, it does make squeak sound (this is with the old belt and will try it with new belt).  But cannot see anything really wrong.  My HS928 also makes squeak noise when I engage the auger too.  I just bought Krylon black spray paint and will give a try.  I am planning to cover the rubbers parts with the saren wrap (or clear plastic) then spray the paint over the area of interest.

Did your blower take almost an 1 qt oil to fill it up to the recommended level?  The sparkplugs are not easy to find either.

This message was modified Nov 19, 2011 by MN_Runner
blumonster

Reply #29   Nov 19, 2011 5:37 pm
MN_Runner wrote:
There are two 10mm bolts just above the exhaust.  I tightened these two bolts and now the leak is gone.  When I engage auger clutch, it does make squeak sound (this is with the old belt and will try it with new belt).  But cannot see anything really wrong.  My HS928 also makes squeak noise when I engage the auger too.  I just bought Krylon black spray paint and will give a try.  I am planning to cover the rubbers parts with the saren wrap (or clear plastic) then spray the paint over the area of interest.

Did your blower take almost an 1 qt oil to fill it up to the recommended level?  The sparkplugs are not easy to find either.

Good luck with painting.I got a bad cold and could not get out of the house today.

It would probably take that much oil but I added approximately 0,7 qt.It is not easy to see oil level on the plastic dipstick. The oil I added was Castrol Syntec 0W-30.Maybe I should add till it drips from the mouth of oil area?The picture on the manual showed almost that high oil level, ready to drip even when the snow blower is level.

The previous owner mentioned using 30 weight oil on HS621, and the oil that came of that machine was thick.I do not know how he was able to start the machine in Wisconsin winters with straight 30 weight oil.

Replies: 20 - 29 of 57Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42