Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Another Oil Question

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
faithfulFrank

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep
to gain what he cannot lose....

Another Oil Question
Original Message   Feb 3, 2005 6:51 am
Hey Guys,
At the risk of starting another heated oil  thread, I just have a simple question, that should not be a a problem.

For my new snowblower, the Tecumseh manual says this.......

Above 32 degrees............straight 30 SAE
0 to 32 degrees..................multigrade SAE 5W30
Below 0 degrees.................Synthetic 0W30

Now for my question...........most of the time, I think I blow snow in that 0-32 degree range. Sometimes we could get a snow at night, and blow snow the next day with the sun out, and it may be above 32 degrees.  Sometimes, it can get so cold here that it is below 0 for days, and you are blowing snow........(although usually when it is that cold, it does not snow.)

Does 0W30 mean it has almost no lubracation in the coldest weather?  I either plan on using synthetic 5W30 or 0W30, but am not sure which I should really use.  Perhaps I am over thinking this, because I know guys who always use just regular straight 30 with no problems.

Synthetic 5W30 has to be better then that, and I'd say that it is in that range (0-32 degrees) that most of the blowing occurs. Does using 0W30 just give me a wider range of protection, or could it be too thin sometimes since it is sometimes zero weight..( a concept I cannot grasp....how can a oil be zero weight, it would be like water.....??)

What do you guys suggest......??

Hard to believe we have gotten so little snow that until this week, I am still on the break-in oil..........well, off to work.

thanks,

Frank D.

Ariens 1332DLE Pro, Exmark 52" HP ZTR, Gardian Generac generator, Shindiawa T230  Excell/Honda PW, Craftsman rototiller, Favorite IPE- My Mac + Ipod- No Windoze for me!
Replies: 1 - 23 of 23View as Thread
Replies: 1 - 23 of 23View as Thread
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42