Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens Modified & Repowered 1032 (pics)

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jrtrebor

Ariens Modified & Repowered 1032 (pics)
Original Message   Nov 10, 2011 10:35 pm
Finally got the electrical straightened out, I hope (with help from some on this board)
and finished up everything else.

Removed the 11hp Honda clone engine that I put on last year and replaced it with a 13hp Honda GX390
with a 10A lighting coil.  Rewired everything.  Added a stainless shield on the front of the blower
Still have to get a new battery.  And hose it down with Fluid Film. But other than that it's ready to go.
Had some snow and sleet today.

Serrated the Augers.  Replaced the auger shaft bushing setup with flange bearings
Replaced the impeller bearing.  Gave everything a fresh coat of paint.

Tapered the deflector 3/8" on both sides to tighten up the stream a little

Fabricated a new belt cover.

Modified the starter cover to cover the Rectifier and wiring.

Removed the old steel shields on the front of the chute and replaced them with stainless ones.
When I had the wheels off I realized that I could thread in some 1/2 bolts from the back side of the
wheel plate to make studs.  Then use car lug nuts to hold the wheels on.  Now all the threads are protected from the
weather inside the lug nuts.  I'm keeping my eyes open for a pair of cheap 8" moon hub caps.

This message was modified Nov 10, 2011 by jrtrebor
Replies: 30 - 39 of 58Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
FrankMA

Re: Ariens Modified & Repowered 1032 (pics)
Reply #30   Dec 6, 2011 5:21 pm
jrtrebor: You do some really nice work!

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
RedOctobyr

Reply #31   Dec 6, 2011 6:37 pm
Yeah, that is a beautiful job.

bcjm, you might also take a look at this thread. Different (older) Ariens blower, and a smaller Honda-clone engine. But perhaps there's some useful info to pull from it. He did discuss some of the challenges he had in mounting the new engine:

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=216776
bcjm

Reply #32   Dec 6, 2011 7:39 pm
Thank you for the link.  After reading it, I think the 6.5HP Honda clone must have different mounting holes than the 13HP.  The original belt cover has to be modified if the 13HP engine was used.  I can't say that for the 6.5HP.
jrtrebor

Reply #33   Dec 6, 2011 9:48 pm
bcjm wrote:
I found this not so old thread.  Very nice job.  This is exactly what I want to do to fit my Honda GX390 engine.  My snow blower is Arines 924029.  I think we have the same deck size.

Did you drill the new holes on the existing deck to mount the Honda Engine?   Can you secure the bolts from under the deck?  My estimate was that it does not have enough space but apparently you did it.

Thanks very much.  The decks are the same.  Yes, the holes were drilled on the existing deck. And yes you can insert and secure the bolts from under the deck.
One side of the new holes are just inside, or right on the bend line of the deck.  A socket will fit on the heads from underneath.
The new holes are 3/8" but it's important to drill an 1/8" pilot hole then go to a 1/4" and then 3/8".  With the holes being so close to the bend I was concerned the
bit wouldn't track straight if I used a 3/8' bit from the start.

The 11 and 13hp Honda's have the same bolt pattern.  Tecumseh 5 and 7hp are the same 8 and 10 are the same but different from the 5 & 7.
This message was modified Dec 6, 2011 by jrtrebor
bcjm

Reply #34   Dec 7, 2011 9:29 am
Since the Honda crankshaft is higher, I assume you had to buy new belts.   Do you recall the length of the new belts.

The original belt cover wouldn't fit anymore.  How did you make the belt cover?   Is that alumnium?  The one you made has such a professional look. 

jrtrebor

Reply #35   Dec 7, 2011 10:22 am
bcjm wrote:
Since the Honda crankshaft is higher, I assume you had to buy new belts.   Do you recall the length of the new belts.

The original belt cover wouldn't fit anymore.  How did you make the belt cover?   Is that alumnium?  The one you made has such a professional look. 

You do need longer belts.  I don't recall what length but I will take a look at the spares I have.  The original belt cover isn't tall enough.  The first one I made I simply
modified the original cover.   The material I used to make the second cover is called Sintra.  It's a PVC sheet material.  I will take some photos and post them later today.
Shryp

Reply #36   Dec 7, 2011 10:51 am
Here are the original threads on the subject:

http://www.abbysguide.com/ope/discussions/52496-0-1.html

http://www.abbysguide.com/ope/discussions/52690-A-1.html

In my case I just used 2" longer belts since the new engine was 1" higher.
I cut the top half of the belt cover off and made a cheap one out of some flashing.
JoelKlein

I wonder how a 2021 snow blower will look like...

Reply #37   Dec 7, 2011 10:52 am

Hi.
I love the idea of your project!
I think you should open an official business of modifying/recycling Snow Blowers, and eventually open a new company and start building your "own" models.

When are you mounting a Yamaha engine?! (Just kidding)

I only have one question: what does it take to Serrated the Augers?

Thanks for your Knowledge

Toro 1028 OXE
bcjm

Reply #38   Dec 12, 2011 9:02 am
I have finished my conversion this weekend.   Took me a lot of try and error to find the right length belts.   For whoever wants to do the same conversion in the future, I have two things to note:

1. The driving belt length is critical.  I bought one that fit but the idler pulley touched the metal rod that engages/disengages the auger.  It happened when auger disengaged.  I could not figure it out why originally.  I thought something needed adjustment but it turned out that the driveling belt is too short caused the idler pulley not in the right position.  36” is what I used at the end.

2. The new mounting holes can be drilled a little more closer to the auger.  The crankshaft pulley can be shifted on the crank shaft to line up with the auger and driving pulleys.  I had the crank shaft pulley at the end of the crank shaft when I did the measurement so the engine sits a little too far back towards the handle bar.  I don’t know if that will make it back heavy when blowing snow.

Now I just need to make a belts cover.  to complete.

jrtrebor

Reply #39   Dec 12, 2011 9:35 am
JoelKlein wrote:

Hi.
I think you should open an official business of modifying/recycling Snow Blowers, and eventually open a new company and start building your "own" models.
I only have one question: what does it take to Serrated the Augers?

Thanks for your comments.
I am thinking about producing belt covers.  Actually I'm working on the finial version of one today. 
For making the serrated augers.  I made a pattern out of thick card stock.  Traced off of an auger on a blower at Home Depot.  Took the augers off my blower.  Traced the pattern onto my augers using a lacquer pencil.  Then used a 4 1/2" right angle grinder with a .045 metal cutting disc to cut the teeth into the augers.  I made a jig to hold the augers in the vertical position while doing the cutting.
Screwed a pipe flange to a work bench.  Threaded in a 30" long piece of pipe and then slide the auger onto the pipe.  Made all of the short cuts first, then the long angle cuts.
The holding jig allows you to spin the auger as your working on it.  It also makes it easier to paint them when your finished. Paint one side, slide it off the pipe flip it over paint
the other side.
Replies: 30 - 39 of 58Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42