Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > LCT & BRIGGS?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
bus708

LCT & BRIGGS?
Original Message   Oct 22, 2011 8:28 pm
I took a good look at an Ariens with a LCT  engine today. Does Briggs  have something going on with LCT? I see original Briggs parts on  the Ariens 208cc engine built by LCT
Replies: 10 - 19 of 37Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Coldfingers

Re: LCT & BRIGGS?
Reply #10   Oct 27, 2011 6:42 pm
I'm just repeating what a major distributor of snowblowers told me on the phone when I called to ask about prices, this guy said buy the honda and not the toro in the single stage machine. His opinion surprised me also.
coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE
Tecumseh 358cc
10hp

Reply #11   Oct 28, 2011 3:58 am
carlb wrote:
Well i guess i was only partially right.  Based on this Briggs press release they are making the 10 and 16 hp engines in china I cant say about any others.

http://www.nytimes.com/1986/06/21/business/briggs-stratton-in-china-venture.html?ref=briggsandstrattoncorporation

I believe the LCT is a Chinese knock off of the Briggs engines.   Just like Lifan makes knockoffs of the Honda GX series.

That NY Times article has a publishing date of June 21, 1986, even though the copyright date of the article at the bottom of the web page is 2011.  What's with that 1986 date?

El Toro! 1028 LXE - Tecumseh 358cc 10hp   Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!
New_Yorker

Preach the Gospel always, use words when necessary

Reply #12   Nov 12, 2011 10:23 am
Does any company actually build small engines anywhere in the United States anymore ?  LCT = Red China !  MTD (the largest manufacturer of snowblowers uses LCT engines)  MTD builds Sears Craftsman, Yard Man, Yard Machines, Cub Cadet, MTD, White, and others. No Engine Throttles any longer, one speed that you don't get to control.  Buy a Honda and get a throttle, and a fuel shutoff.
Snowmann

Reply #13   Nov 12, 2011 11:58 pm
New_Yorker wrote:
Does any company actually build small engines anywhere in the United States anymore ?  LCT = Red China !  MTD (the largest manufacturer of snowblowers uses LCT engines)  MTD builds Sears Craftsman, Yard Man, Yard Machines, Cub Cadet, MTD, White, and others. No Engine Throttles any longer, one speed that you don't get to control.  Buy a Honda and get a throttle, and a fuel shutoff.

MTD uses Zongshen, not LCT. Toro uses Loncin. Ariens and Husqvarna use Briggs and LCT. There are countless other brands of the import GX-style engines (99.9% are Honda GX derivative, not Briggs). Quality is from soup to nuts depending on the brand and manufacturing plant. LCT would be at the top of the hierarchy. They're really not that much different than Briggs or Kohler. Stateside ownership, engineering, warranty support, testing, logistics, and significant domestic facilities with off-shore manufacturing operations. 

The ones you want to stay away from have no significant stateside presence or investment (save a handful of Chinese nationals at a leased office somewhere). Many of these engines from the lower grade imports are nearly cash and carry for the OEM's with little backing from the manufacturer. There are few small engines still made in the US due to the labor intensive nature. Kind of like ball bearings and certain other products.

Throttle and fuel shutoffs are available from most of the import manufacturers, some are not equipped with such (mostly the throttle) because they are used on lower end models with restricted feature sets.

Lastly, LCT is privately held, Briggs publicly held, there are no ties or cooperative efforts between them.

JoelKlein

I wonder how a 2021 snow blower will look like...

Reply #14   Nov 13, 2011 12:18 am
May I ask a stupid question? Who cares if B&S moves over there plant to china? As long as they are build 100% to original specs they are still a USA quality product!! And if B&S will begin taking short cut's in there quality, they may have there plant right here in new York and the engine will be junk!! Can some one explain me, what is the big deal about a mtd or lct china engines? Is there a china company that took apart a brrigs engine and cloned it with junk parts?

Toro 1028 OXE
bus708

Reply #15   Nov 13, 2011 7:51 am
JoelKlein wrote:
May I ask a stupid question? Who cares if B&S moves over there plant to china? As long as they are build 100% to original specs they are still a USA quality product!! And if B&S will begin taking short cut's in there quality, they may have there plant right here in new York and the engine will be junk!! Can some one explain me, what is the big deal about a mtd or lct china engines? Is there a china company that took apart a brrigs engine and cloned it with junk parts?

Personally I care,  I'm a retired Vet. I love this Country. To see so many people with no jobs because Companies  want to pay cheap labor to fill there pockets ticks me  off. I rather pay extra for a American made product than see my Brothers and Sisters out of work. That what hurt Techumseh  . Its war out here. The Japs are taking over, China and other countries are moving in for the kill. This is the United States , lets not let the other countries drift us apart. ASK NOT WHAT YOUR COUNTRY DO FOR YOU, ASK WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR AMERICA. Help keep our people working.
MN_Runner

Reply #16   Nov 13, 2011 7:58 am
Bus708,

I am a vet and with an asian background.  Do you still want to call people japs (it is not too cool) and trust that it was not your intention.  There was a guy on eBay using similar language selling Honda shear bolts and hopefully that is not you.  IMHO education is the best way to compete whether you are a vet or not.  Uncle Sam paid for my education and I am glad I studied my ass off I can have a nice job and stable work.

bus708

Reply #17   Nov 13, 2011 8:09 am
MN_Runner wrote:
Bus708,

I am a vet and with an asian background.  Do you still want to call people japs (it is not too cool) and trust that it was not your intention.  There was a guy on eBay using similar language selling Honda shear bolts and hopefully that is not you.  IMHO education is the best way to compete whether you are a vet or not.  Uncle Sam paid for my education and I am glad I studied my ass off I can have a nice job and stable work.

I'm not trying to be personal. I'm Just referring to  To the many Made in Japan and China engines that have flooded our country sience  the fall of Techunseh
MN_Runner

Reply #18   Nov 13, 2011 8:31 am
JoelKlein wrote:

I am with you Joel.  If you make high quality products people will buy them regardless where they come from.  This is an essence of the free market - I do not buy an inferior product just because it is from a particular company, state or country.  I get to keep my job because I continue to provide quality work, have a passion for work and keep myself updated with unique skills.  I doubt my company will keep me because of my skin color or it feels sorry for me - although I am very good at getting some sympathy votes.  If you make junk, people will not buy them regardless where they come or how cheap they are.

blumonster

Reply #19   Nov 13, 2011 9:37 am
bus708 wrote:
I'm not trying to be personal. I'm Just referring to  To the many Made in Japan and China engines that have flooded our country sience  the fall of Techunseh

I love made in Japan products.Quality is their highest value, they respect their customers, they respect themselves. They have not flooded our country.We need more.Unfortunately Yen is overvalued now, it is hurting their exports.They are being forced to outsource as a result.

Briggs,Tecumseh etc. were not high quality, reliable engines even when they were built in the US. An inferior quality item can be passed as quality to Americans. GM,Chrysler and Ford have done this for decades.People liked getting burnt over and over again.

As for made in China items, I see them as a waste of resources for the time being.If/when they put quality before quantity I might change my mind.But I do not call them names, I just try not to buy anything made in China as a way of doing my individual part.

If I am able to choose country of origin for an item (not engines only, in general) I look for made in Japan first, if it is not available I look for made in Germany,USA,Canada.I prefer Malaysia,Indonesia,VietNam over made in China. 

Replies: 10 - 19 of 37Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42