Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Honda HS35 Snowblower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
blumonster

Honda HS35 Snowblower
Original Message   Oct 14, 2011 4:29 pm
Hello,

This is my first post here.

I recently got a used old Honda HS35 snowblower for $80.

It starts and runs with choke 'closed'. The choke knob is loose, moves around with the vibration.And when I put the choke on 'open' position it most of the time surges (up and down). I added some seafoam and noticed that it helped it stabilize on that day. I started it again today and it still surges when the choke is 'open' during the first few minutes, then stabilizes. Is this normal?  To start the machine the choke needs to be 'closed' or it won't start.

This is my first snowblower, I have not worked on a snowblower before.

Auger's rubber parts are not new, the previous owner said he replaced them 3 years ago.It looks like rubber parts are worn by about half an inch maybe.Because I can see where the tip of the rubber was at one point by looking at the very thin end of the rubber.

Scraper bar is not rubber, it looks like it is made from harder plastic and the edges have 3-5 indents froms scraping. Do I have to replace these this year or will they work for now?

Is the price I paid fair for the machine I described above? Is it too much?

Thanks.

Replies: 5 - 14 of 57Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
blumonster

Re: Honda HS35 Snowblower
Reply #5   Oct 22, 2011 8:13 pm
carlb wrote:
+1 on what Shryp said about the choke.   I think you got a good deal for that machine.  If there appears to be 1/2" wear on the augers I would buy new ones now and replace them rather than wait until we have snow to find out that they are too worn to work properly.  If they are badly worn the machine will not work very well and you may find yourself pushing it into the snow.  

I downloaded the manual and it tells me to replace the rubber if the measurement from the shaft of the auger to the edge of the rubber is at 8.87cm. or shorter. It is 9-9.05cm. now if I measured correctly.

blumonster

Reply #6   Oct 22, 2011 8:33 pm
aa335 wrote:
Nice HS35 at a decent price.  Looks in pretty good shape considering it's probably 20 years old or more.  They sure don't make them as complicated as this model nowadays.  It's a very robust machine.  It still looks good compared to today's new machines.

I'd would get new rubber auger and scraper bar if they are worn out.  You can get them here .  Link.

Inside auger housing and on parts of the auger itself there is rust.I want to sand it and paint it next year if I can.

Thanks for the link, aa335, I checked that website and found out that the 'scraper bar kit' is obsolete.How do people replace it then?I called Honda Power America, they confirmed that that part (starting with 06...) is discontinued.However I saw this part and its MSRP on Honda Power's Canada website.Interesting.

Last night I asked my wife to come with me to look at another snow blower I saw online.150 miles roundtrip.I ended up paying $246 for this Honda HS621.A lot more than what I paid for HS35, hopefully it is worth it. What do you think? Its scraper bar might need replacement, but not sure if I should replace paddles yet.I did not understand how to measure the wear on this one or the manual was not clear.

Below I added a picture showing both.There you can see the rust on HS35's auger and its housing:

This message was modified Oct 22, 2011 by blumonster
aa335

Reply #7   Oct 22, 2011 11:24 pm

The HS35 is an old snowblower and Honda doesn't support this model anymore.  A lot of parts are obsolete, remaining available parts are quite expensive.  Check ebay from time to time.  You may get lucky and find the parts you need.

The other HS621 looks in good shape, almost no rust on the bucket or the fasteners.  Looks like this machine was not used very much.  You determine if the rubber paddles need replacement by measuring how much rubber is protruding from the metal edge on the auger itself.  If it is less than .6 inch, then it needs replacement.  Scraper bars are still easily available.  Make sure that the scraper bar still has enough material, otherwise, the pavement will grind away at the metal bucket.  Make sure you check and tighten all the nuts on the metal chute.  I've lost quite a few nuts falling off at inopportune times.  If you can, replace them with nyloc type nuts.  They have plastic inserts to prevent metal on metal loosening.

Visually, the HS621 still have enough rubber on the paddles to go through this winter.  It's a good machine.
This message was modified Oct 22, 2011 by aa335
blumonster

Reply #8   Oct 23, 2011 4:47 pm
aa335 wrote:

The other HS621 looks in good shape, almost no rust on the bucket or the fasteners.  Looks like this machine was not used very much.  You determine if the rubber paddles need replacement by measuring how much rubber is protruding from the metal edge on the auger itself.  If it is less than .6 inch, then it needs replacement.  Scraper bars are still easily available.  Make sure that the scraper bar still has enough material, otherwise, the pavement will grind away at the metal bucket.  Make sure you check and tighten all the nuts on the metal chute.  I've lost quite a few nuts falling off at inopportune times.  If you can, replace them with nyloc type nuts.  They have plastic inserts to prevent metal on metal loosening.

Visually, the HS621 still have enough rubber on the paddles to go through this winter.  It's a good machine.

Thanks for the reply.

6 inch from where? When I look at the new part pictures the rubber's width does not look like it is not 6 inches even when brand new.

The manual says:

'Measure the distance from the outer edge of the auger (the metal parts paddles are bolted on or the housing?) to the outer edge of the rubber paddles.The paddles are worn out and should be replaced, if the distance is less than 15mm (0,6 inch).'

Did you mean 0,6 in? Or is it a different measurement?

The scraper bar, the hard plastic part of it has one broken part less than1/5 in in width and 2 in in length at the end of the scraper, not seperated from the main plastic yet.Is this hard plastic the material you mentioned?

Thanks again for your suggestions.

aa335

Reply #9   Oct 24, 2011 8:16 am
blumonster wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

6 inch from where? When I look at the new part pictures the rubber's width does not look like it is not 6 inches even when brand new.

The manual says:

'Measure the distance from the outer edge of the auger (the metal parts paddles are bolted on or the housing?) to the outer edge of the rubber paddles.The paddles are worn out and should be replaced, if the distance is less than 15mm (0,6 inch).'

Did you mean 0,6 in? Or is it a different measurement?

The scraper bar, the hard plastic part of it has one broken part less than1/5 in in width and 2 in in length at the end of the scraper, not seperated from the main plastic yet.Is this hard plastic the material you mentioned?

Thanks again for your suggestions.

0.6 inches from the metal auger edge.
blumonster

Reply #10   Oct 24, 2011 9:00 am
Thanks.
MN_Runner

Reply #11   Nov 18, 2011 3:19 am
bluemonster,

I had an issue with my choke as well because it was not connected.  Please take a look inside and make sure the Choke knob rod is connected to your carburator. I had to put some paint on the metal rod to make it thick and now the Choke knob does not move around and moves as directed so it works great. 

If  you don't have the choke working, it would be very hard to start.  I should be getting my OEM scrape bar and belt next Tue so I will can finish the project for now,  Your rubber pedals are no good and they are too worn out.  These rubber augers are real pain in the neck to install.

I do not know any efficient way to install them.  $36 is the best price I got including shipping.  These are not OEM as they are about twice as much. We will find out when we get some real snow.

aa335

Reply #12   Nov 18, 2011 10:02 am
Replacing those rubber auger in the HS621 is quite a chore too.  There are a lot of fasteners.  Make sure you inspect the condition of the fasteners, throw out the badly corroded one.  Also use anti-seize compound on the threads, lightly.
MN_Runner

Reply #13   Nov 18, 2011 10:15 am
Do you think your Toro would be easier?  How's your father HS520 to change?  I think they are about the same.  The curves on the auger rubber make it very difficult to align them.   I am sure it is not time yet. It took a lot of brute force to get them off and install them.
aa335

Reply #14   Nov 18, 2011 10:21 am
MN_Runner wrote:
Do you think your Toro would be easier?  How's your father HS520 to change?  I think they are about the same.  The curves on the auger rubber make it very difficult to align them.   I am sure it is not time yet. It took a lot of brute force to get them off and install them.

The Toro is easier for sure, there are a lot less fasteners, the rubber is soft, and they use hex on both sides.  Two box end wrench or socket on each side is all the two tools you need.  They use standard fasteners that can be found anywhere.

The HS520 would be similar to the HS35.  Don't tighten any fasteners until you get all of them in, this give you some flexibility and movement to align the holes. 
This message was modified Nov 18, 2011 by aa335
Replies: 5 - 14 of 57Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42