Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Honda HS35 Snowblower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
blumonster

Honda HS35 Snowblower
Original Message   Oct 14, 2011 4:29 pm
Hello,

This is my first post here.

I recently got a used old Honda HS35 snowblower for $80.

It starts and runs with choke 'closed'. The choke knob is loose, moves around with the vibration.And when I put the choke on 'open' position it most of the time surges (up and down). I added some seafoam and noticed that it helped it stabilize on that day. I started it again today and it still surges when the choke is 'open' during the first few minutes, then stabilizes. Is this normal?  To start the machine the choke needs to be 'closed' or it won't start.

This is my first snowblower, I have not worked on a snowblower before.

Auger's rubber parts are not new, the previous owner said he replaced them 3 years ago.It looks like rubber parts are worn by about half an inch maybe.Because I can see where the tip of the rubber was at one point by looking at the very thin end of the rubber.

Scraper bar is not rubber, it looks like it is made from harder plastic and the edges have 3-5 indents froms scraping. Do I have to replace these this year or will they work for now?

Is the price I paid fair for the machine I described above? Is it too much?

Thanks.

Replies: 38 - 47 of 57Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
blumonster

Re: Honda HS35 Snowblower
Reply #38   Nov 20, 2011 6:24 pm
MN_Runner wrote:
You will have to install the rubber when the ambient temperature is warm otherwise they either strink or harden making your job really PITA.  BTW: There is a guy selling a pair of brand new GX160 engine for $150 a piece.

I am attempted to buy one and replace it with the one on HS35 but this may be a losing proposition and not sure if GX160 has the same dimensions as G150.

I will try when it is warmer.Thanks MN_Runner.

Brand new GX160? Wow! Are they made in Thailand or Japan? The string trimmer I returned had a GX35 engine from Thailand.

I have no idea about the comparative dimensions of these engines.But if the sizes are very close, everything else should be similar.Not a bad price for the engine.If it works then all HS35 will need will be wings. :)

MN_Runner

Reply #39   Nov 20, 2011 6:34 pm
It is made in Japan.  GX160 seems to have a higher height so it may not an easy fit.  It would be pretty stupid to spend more money on this HS35 but I have done many dumb stuff too.
blumonster

Reply #40   Nov 20, 2011 6:37 pm
MN_Runner wrote:
It is made in Japan.  GX160 seems to have a higher height so it may not an easy fit.  It would be pretty stupid to spend more money on this HS35 but I have done many dumb stuff too.

It is the best of you just wait for the snow and see how it works.I am sure it will be enough for the purpose you have in mind for the HS35.Just impatience. Snow will be here for a long time, so let's enjoy the last days without snow.Our neighbor was cutting their grass today.I did not do it.

Oops, you had snow already...

This message was modified Nov 20, 2011 by blumonster
MN_Runner

Reply #41   Nov 20, 2011 11:16 pm
I wish you had a tachometer on your HS35 so I know what to expect on my HS35.  I am sure there are other HS35 owners here with tachometers on their blowers and wish they chime in. 

If the RPM is too low, the blower will not work too well provided that you have good auger rubbers and scrapper.  I specifically bought this blower for cleaning my pond and the deck.  I almost sunk my blower in the pond last year.

That would not have been really funny for me. 

blumonster

Reply #42   Nov 21, 2011 11:52 am
MN_Runner wrote:
I wish you had a tachometer on your HS35 so I know what to expect on my HS35.  I am sure there are other HS35 owners here with tachometers on their blowers and wish they chime in. 

If the RPM is too low, the blower will not work too well provided that you have good auger rubbers and scrapper.  I specifically bought this blower for cleaning my pond and the deck.  I almost sunk my blower in the pond last year.

That would not have been really funny for me. 

How do you connect the tachometer and where did you get it from, MN_Runner?  Is the RPM gauge reliable?Is it possible that it is not showing RPM lower than it really is?

Did you get the new spring?If it works in increasing the RPM to normal level I might get one as well.

Who else has Honda HS35?

Would not it be more dangerous if the snowblower is as heavy as HS35, on the pond?

This message was modified Nov 21, 2011 by blumonster
MN_Runner

Reply #43   Nov 21, 2011 12:15 pm
HS35 is lighter than my HS928.  I almost sunk it last year when I went over the pond when the ice was not thick enough. 

I would buy tachometer from Norther Tools: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_524744_524744?cm_mmc=Google-pla-_-Engines-_-Small%20Engine%20Accessories-_-160590&ci_sku=160590&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw={keyword}

blumonster

Reply #44   Nov 21, 2011 3:15 pm
MN_Runner wrote:
HS35 is lighter than my HS928.  I almost sunk it last year when I went over the pond when the ice was not thick enough. 

I would buy tachometer from Norther Tools: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_524744_524744?cm_mmc=Google-pla-_-Engines-_-Small%20Engine%20Accessories-_-160590&ci_sku=160590&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw={keyword}

How do you connect it to snow blower?

Is your tachometer like this?: http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Photo-Laser-Tachometer-Contact/dp/B001N4QY66/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1321906276&sr=8-4

If not, would something like this work?

MN_Runner

Reply #45   Nov 21, 2011 3:27 pm
I have never used this toy.  I think you have to tape someting (reflective part) on the rotating part and have the laser read it.  I am not too sure about the operation. 
RedOctobyr

Reply #46   Nov 21, 2011 9:49 pm
You might be able to make an optical one work, somehow. But it would be a pain, I think. You'd need to get access to the crankshaft and put something reflective on it. Then leave that exposed (potentially dangerous, or likely not practical while also using the machine) any time you want to take a measurement.

The kind at the Northern Tool link are quite simple, you just wrap a wire around the spark plug wire, and it senses (via induction) when the spark plug fires. If the plug wire is exposed, you don't even have to install it permanently. Just wrap the tachometer wire around spark plug wire, and ground its other wire to the machine's frame.
blumonster

Reply #47   Nov 22, 2011 9:58 pm
RedOctobyr wrote:
You might be able to make an optical one work, somehow. But it would be a pain, I think. You'd need to get access to the crankshaft and put something reflective on it. Then leave that exposed (potentially dangerous, or likely not practical while also using the machine) any time you want to take a measurement.

The kind at the Northern Tool link are quite simple, you just wrap a wire around the spark plug wire, and it senses (via induction) when the spark plug fires. If the plug wire is exposed, you don't even have to install it permanently. Just wrap the tachometer wire around spark plug wire, and ground its other wire to the machine's frame.

Thanks for the explanation RedOctobyr.

Now I am the only one with a 30 year old snow blower.It was really a PITA to put some of the paddles.I damaged some parts around the collar.I gave a bath to the rubber in soapy hot water etc.Did not work.I have a couple of holes to match on bigger paddles and then the smaller ones.

Replies: 38 - 47 of 57Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42