Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > I want to install a larger engine......

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
stresst

I want to install a larger engine......
Original Message   Oct 10, 2011 9:13 pm
I posted this last year but I didnt get answer. I have a Toro 826OXE with a 250cc engine but I want to install either the 305cc from the 1028OXE or even the 342cc from the 1128OXE. Does anyone know if this is a direct swap? What pulley's and belts I would need?

Thanks in advance!

I just emailed small engine warehouse, wise sales, and Toro. Hopefully one of them can help me out. IMO if i can install a 305cc or 342cc engine on my bucket this would be the best of both worlds. I have a feeling this is pretty straight forward.

This message was modified Oct 10, 2011 by stresst

TORO 826OXE
Replies: 13 - 16 of 16Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
edgenet

If you enjoy doing it, It's not work

Re: I want to install a larger engine......
Reply #13   Oct 14, 2011 2:45 pm
2nd try posting photos

This message was modified Oct 14, 2011 by edgenet

If you are getting paid for what you are doing No matter how much you Enjoy it,   It's a Job
stresst

Reply #14   Oct 14, 2011 8:54 pm
You should utilize the 1st gear when the snow is high and heavy.  Listen to your machine, if it's bogging down and lights are dimming, you're overdriving the machine, doesn't matter how many horsepower you have, the engine is operating outside of its power band.

Have you ever thought the problem you have is not related to the snowblower, but the house sitatuion?  Throwing recycled compacted snow is tough on any snowblower.  So more power will get you another 5 feet of throwing distance, if even optimistically that.  I have trouble throwing fresh snow consistently across the street with a 11 hp.  There's factors like snow density, wind, ect..

At the end of the day, with a more powerful engine or snowblower, you sitll have to deal with that recycled snow, only now it's 5 feet further than what you had before.

Sorry to bring it up, but I think it will be more effective trying to keep your current machine in top operating condition, fine tune your technique and figure out your snow clearing pattern to minimize throwing recycled snow.  It's not everyday you need to tackle 27" of snow.

Or you can throw money at it an see what happens.  It's only money and may cure your thirst for power.  That Ariens Pro 28 is only $2000, ready to go without experimenting with engines, pulleys, ect...

People want the biggest and most powerful, until there's money involved, then they evaluate it more carefully.

To put it another way, I'm sure you have done your homework prior to purchasing the your existing 826OXE, based on various factors and situation.  It's the best decision you made at the time, and you had the option to get the bigger 1128OXE, for about $800 more.  Was that extra power worth $800 to you then?  How much does it worth now?

Very informative reponse! I don't know where to begin in response to your post......many valid points but I really want more. I have my blower on Clist for a few weeks already but imo its too early. I thought about the Ariens Pro 28 as well as the 1128OXE. IMO its much better to sell and start over. My issue is I have to sell before I buy a new one, but I dont want to get stuck w/o a blower as they seem to go very fast!

I did a ton of homework before purchasing my Toro, to be honest I only wanted to spend 800-900. I wound up spending upwards of 1600$$ between tax, delivery, cover, etc. I really thought this would be more then enough if not I mite have went a differant route.....

TORO 826OXE
carlb

Reply #15   Oct 15, 2011 7:21 am
This swap should be very simple and easy as it appears the engines have the same mounting hole spacing on the base and the same shaft size and center line height.  That being said I have done many engine swaps and in the case of a "drop in engine" swap it normally only takes about a hour or so to do.   If you have some mechanical skills i would not be afraid of this swap.

You can buy an 11hp engine at a pretty good price.  I just repowered a old 8/26 Cub Cadet with an 11hp Honda Clone and it was a very easy swap.  The belts, pulleys, and mounting were all fine and I didn't need to change anything.

You can find 11hp clones for as little as 249.00 dollars with 12volt electric start.

I suspect the dealer will charge you 600 to 800 dollars or more to do this swap.

Carl
aa335

Reply #16   Oct 17, 2011 12:12 am
stresst wrote:

Very informative reponse! I don't know where to begin in response to your post......many valid points but I really want more. I have my blower on Clist for a few weeks already but imo its too early. I thought about the Ariens Pro 28 as well as the 1128OXE. IMO its much better to sell and start over. My issue is I have to sell before I buy a new one, but I dont want to get stuck w/o a blower as they seem to go very fast!

I did a ton of homework before purchasing my Toro, to be honest I only wanted to spend 800-900. I wound up spending upwards of 1600$$ between tax, delivery, cover, etc. I really thought this would be more then enough if not I mite have went a differant route.....

Have you thought about having both snowblower if space and finance allows?  You can still keep your 826OXe on craigslist while evaluating the new one.  If the winter is a bad one, you wouldn't have trouble selling either one.  Someone's going to be desperate for a snowblower.
Replies: 13 - 16 of 16Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42