Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Which one? Ariens Pro 28 or Simplicity P1728E

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mvedepo

Which one? Ariens Pro 28 or Simplicity P1728E
Original Message   Oct 7, 2011 11:46 pm
I am looking for a 28" monster.  Which is the better unit?

Simplicity P1728E  Ariens Pro 28
Auger / Impeller

Clearing Width  28 28
Throwing Distance*  45' w/Power Boost™  50'
Intake Height  19.75 in 23.5 in
Auger Style  Serrated Steel  Serrated Steel 
Auger Diameter  14 14
Auger Gear Case Material  Cast-Iron  Cast-Iron
Impeller Diameter  12 16
No. of Impeller Blades  4 3
Skid Shoes  Reversible  Reversible
Engine

Make  Briggs & Stratton  Briggs & Stratton 
Model  Professional Series™  Ariens Polar Force™ 
Type  4-Cycle OHV  4-Cycle OHV 
Fuel Tank Capacity  0.75 Gal.  1.48 Gal.
Displacement 342 cc 420 cc
Ft.-lbs. Gross Torque 16.5 21
HP 11.5 HP 15 HP
Starter  Electric with Recoil Back-up  Electric with Recoil Back-up 
Fuel Cap  Carbon in Cap  Unkown
Chute

Chute Material  4" Steel  Unkown/Steel
Chute Rotation  200° Electric  200° Quick Turn
Chute Deflector Direction Change  Remote  Remote
Drive System

Type  Heavy-Duty Friction Disc-Drive  Disc-O-Matic
Speeds  5 Forward / 2 Reverse  6 Forward/ 2 Reverse
Wheel Lock Release  Easy Turn™  Automatic Traction Control 
Tire Size  16" x 4.8"  16" x 4.8"
Tread  X-Trac™  Directional Snow Tread 
Handles / Controls

Heated Hand Grips  Standard  Standard
Options

Clear Out Stick  Included  Included
Drift Cutters  Tool-Less Design  Tool-Less Design 
Engine Block Heater  Optional  Optional 
Headlight  Amber Halogen  Halogen
Dimensions

Weight (lbs.)  255 lbs 318 lbs
Warranty

Consumer  2 Year Limited  3 Year Limited 
Commercial  1 Year Limited  1 Year Limited 
Retail Price $2,199 $2,199

Seems like you get a little more for your money with the Ariens.
This message was modified Oct 7, 2011 by mvedepo
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
aa335

Re: Which one? Ariens Pro 28 or Simplicity P1728E
Reply #1   Oct 8, 2011 12:40 am
I'd say the Ariens specifications is quite impressive for $2199.  It's heavier, much larger engine, very tall intake height, manly tough chute crank, very large diameter auger, very large impeller, and the biggest engine on a 28".  In fact, no has even put a 420cc engine on a 36" snowblower yet, but this 28" has it.  Most bang for the buck.  Uniquely overkill for a homeowner, more appropriate for commercial snow removal crew.

You can call in the plow guy while you're away, so that the wife doesn't have to do any snowblowing, because I don't think she's going to be operating this machine.  318 lbs dry weight / 15 hp snowblower doesn't fit the description of user friendly machine.
This message was modified Oct 8, 2011 by aa335
mvedepo

Reply #2   Oct 8, 2011 11:16 am
Kind of what I was thinking.  I took the wife down to the dealer and let her feel some out.  Her favorite one for feel was the Simplicity Pro series. It had best handlebar height for her.  But for $2000 its hard not to look at the Ariens.  You sure get a lot for your money.
carlb

Reply #3   Oct 9, 2011 7:19 am
I say you would be getting more machine for you money with the Ariens Pro 28
stresst

Reply #4   Oct 9, 2011 2:11 pm
I totally over looked the Ariens Pro when purchasing my Toro. IMO you cannot lose with either one but like already stated the extra weight, tall intake and monster motor makes it hard to even consider the Simplicity. I personally do not like the way the simplicity pro's look so I would go with the Ariens hands down.

TORO 826OXE
mvedepo

Reply #5   Oct 9, 2011 3:33 pm
I agree.  Talked to the dealer.  The Simplicity is $2399 msrp and $2199 sale price.  The sale price on the Ariens is $1999.   $200 cheaper and more machine.  Makes the decision a little easier. 
Crowe

Reply #6   Aug 11, 2015 8:46 pm
I went to the local outdoor power store and did this very comparison with the sales guy today (8/11/15). First of all, the engine specs on the Simplicity above are understated as it's 420 CCs as well. Also, the warranty is the same 3 year consumer, 1 year commercial. The sales guy talked up the Simplicity over the Ariens Pro 28 for a couple of reasons. The transmission is better for one. It has an automatic torque adjustment based on how much work you give it. When you hit the end of the driveway and run into that wall of solid snow left by the snow plow, it "shifts down" and applies more force to the auger so you don't get the engine stress like the direct drive on the Ariens. He also commented on the auto turn feature being a huge pain on the Ariens. They're on their 2nd generation and it still causes the unit to fishtail down the driveway. It auto turns like a dream on a driveway with no snow but give it an uneven surface of snow and ice and he said it's all over the place. Go on snow blower direct's website and read the reviews. Overall he said they're comparable, but as the guy who sees repairs come in and hears customer complaints, he felt the Simplicity edged out the Ariens.
This message was modified Aug 11, 2015 by Crowe
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42