Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Honda HS520 vs Toro 621 This is the last snowblower question I ask......I promise :)

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Mr_Pacman

Honda HS520 vs Toro 621 This is the last snowblower question I ask......I promise :)
Original Message   Oct 4, 2011 11:51 pm
Hello everyone,

I've decided between 2 snowblowers:

Toro 621 ZR  ($760)
Honda HS520  ($840)

These two are available locally and I know I will be able to get parts in the future. This might not be the case with other brands being sold in town, so I really want to stick with the Toro or the Honda.

I don't want a 2 stage (we don't get that much snow here).

I'm leaning towards the Honda, but just want to make sure I'm not making a mistake and should be getting the less expensive Toro. I'm not worried about electric start, and the "quick shoot" is not important to me. The Toro I have selected has the same features as the Honda (handle on the chute, recoil start).

Which one would you buy (let's assume the prices are the same, as the difference in cost is not important to me).  I want something that will perform well, and last for many years.

Thanks very much
James

Replies: 15 - 19 of 19Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
aa335

Re: Honda HS520 vs Toro 621 This is the last snowblower question I ask......I promise :)
Reply #15   Oct 7, 2011 12:07 pm
FrankMA wrote:
One feature I really like about the HS621 is the streamlined aesthetics. It has that sleek "get the job done" kind of look. It might sound a little crazy but it reminds me of a shark.

Yes, it is quite sleek compared to the newer machines.  The newer ones are either too busy with exposed muffler guards, fuel tank and caps, valve covers, or handle consoles with headlights. 

Trying to look bulky and busy like a 2 stage snowblower is not a good approach, especially for people shopping for snowblower for the first time.
This message was modified Oct 7, 2011 by aa335
aa335

Re: Honda HS520 vs Toro 621 This is the last snowblower question I ask......I promise :)
Reply #16   Oct 7, 2011 12:15 pm
Mr_Pacman wrote:
Plus, the basic 612E has a metal chute vs a plastic chute on the higher models.

I don't think I ever seen any Toro single stage with a metal chute.  Even all their larger and current 2 stage snowblowers have plastic chutes.  If anything, metal chutes are more expensive and will be offered on their higher models, not the other way around.

Properly designed and made, plastic chute is more slippery and does not allow snow/ice to stick.  I don't have any problems with the plastic chute on my Toro 421Q, it's lightweight, easy to change direction.
This message was modified Oct 7, 2011 by aa335
Mr_Pacman

Reply #17   Oct 11, 2011 5:12 pm
Just quick update and also a very big thanks to all of the members who took the time to give me advice in this (and a few other) threads over the past few weeks. I really do appreciate it!

I ended up buying a Toro 418 ZR today from Home Depot. They "price protected" an online competitor, so my final price was $360 which I felt was fair as the cheapest online price was $399.  I won't unpack it until it's getting close to the first snowfall just in case a nice used machine pops up for sale.

I debated between this machine and the $850 Honda HS520/ $800 Toro 621, but with those machines being 2 - 2.5 times times the price, plus they were quite a bit larger and would be hard to store in my 2 car garage.

What sealed the deal, was the Home Depot rep giving me a demo of a Toro 621. I didn't realize how the rubber auger would "bite" into the ground and literally pull the snowblower and the driver with it.  With my recent lumbar fusion, I didn't really want something that was pulling me around, as I'm still healing and trying to restrict any sudden jerks in my back.  I'm sure the "pulling" feature is a desirable selling point for most (and it might be for me in the future) but for now, I needed something a little less powerful.

The 418 didn't bite as much, and was much easier to move around. It's similar to the electric Toro 1800 I had last year.  It might be a bit underpowered for what I need, but I suspect it will do the job for most of the snowfalls we get in Calgary.

Once the first snowfall arrives, I'll give an update as to how it works. Perhaps it will help someone else make the right decision on what's best for them.

My wife is also quite happy that this snowblower saga is over. She was sick and tired of hearing about different models, prices, pros/cons etc. 

Thanks again!

James
carlb

Reply #18   Oct 11, 2011 5:22 pm
On most single stage snow blowers the amount of bite the auger will have to the pavement is directly related the how the scraper bar is adjusted.  If the scraper bar is adjusted too low it will not allow the augers to grip the pavement as it will raise the bottom of the machine up some.  If the scraper is adjusted too high the augers will hit the pavement with more force and pull and jump forward.  When properly adjusted single stage machines should just pull you along and not bounce and buck.  You can easily adjust the scraper bar on the either of the machines to meet your needs. As the rubber augers wear you may need to adjust the scraper bar up some.
aa335

Reply #19   Oct 11, 2011 5:30 pm
It's good that you are able to demo the two models to see which one feels right to you.   The Toro 621 is quite aggressive in its pull when the snow is less than 3 inches.  It can move along at jogging pace.  It just takes some getting used to modulate its speed by tipping it back slightly.  The Toro is nicely balance so it requires little effort to tip it back.

The snowblower actually have less bite when there's snow on the pavement.  In actual use, when you have 6 or more inches of snow, that pull is quite appreciated rather having you trying to push.  In 12" of snow, you have to push it along.
This message was modified Oct 11, 2011 by aa335
Replies: 15 - 19 of 19Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42