Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Cub Cadet Snowblowers - Who Knew?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Summerwinds

Simplicity 924i, Toro 3650

Cub Cadet Snowblowers - Who Knew?
Original Message   Oct 2, 2011 9:57 pm
While looking at web sites on the internet I discovered that Cub Cadet manufactures snowblowers. Has anyone had experience with these products?
Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
stresst

Re: Cub Cadet Snowblowers - Who Knew?
Reply #2   Oct 2, 2011 10:07 pm
Yup, either home depot or sears sells them. I forget which one....

TORO 826OXE
Summerwinds

Simplicity 924i, Toro 3650

Reply #3   Oct 2, 2011 10:26 pm
Shryp wrote:
The current Cub Cadet blowers are made by MTD.  Compare them to the Yard Machines / Sears / Craftsman / Troy Built ones and you basically have the same exact machine except a different color.  Unless you have a favorite color, if you choose to buy one of those go with whatever one has the best price / service.

Most people would recommend against them and tell you to buy Honda, Toro, Ariens, Simplicity, Husquvarna.

So Cub Cadet doesn't actually manufacture the snowblowers, they just have their name applied to them. Too bad.
aa335

Reply #4   Oct 2, 2011 11:23 pm
Summerwinds wrote:
So Cub Cadet doesn't actually manufacture the snowblowers, they just have their name applied to them. Too bad.

Only Ariens, Honda, and Toro makes their own snowblower and not for anyone else.
FrankMA

Reply #5   Oct 3, 2011 7:32 am
Summerwinds wrote:

This is yet another example of a once well respected name in the OPE industry being disguised to sell products to an under informed public. They know the Cub name and associate it with a quality product but do not realize that they're buying an MTD product.
This message was modified Oct 3, 2011 by FrankMA

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
JimmyM

Reply #6   Oct 18, 2011 2:39 pm
They're made by MTD. Yes, but look at the difference in the construction between their 700 series and the 900 series. The 900s are built on a much heavier chassis. the 930 weighs ~380 lbs with a 16 in impeller. NOT ALL MTDs are cheap tin toys.
I bought the 930 because it wasn't worth the jump to the 933 for $400 and everything else is the same. I used it all last year and it went through several 12"+ snow falls and EOD piles with no problems. Starts easy, tons of power, and a 16" impeller throws snow where ever I want to put it. IF you've got $2800 to drop on a 32" Honda, go for it. I only had $1600. Oh and if the "cheap" chinese motor on it dies in 10 years vs 15 or 20, I just buy another and still pay less than a 390 Honda. At that time I would probably just go for the 420cc motor just for laughs.
coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE
Tecumseh 358cc
10hp

Reply #7   Oct 26, 2011 6:01 am
It is confusing regarding all the various brand names, so far as who owns whom, or who makes a product for whom.  Take John Deere.  I know their snow blowers are made by Briggs, but what about all their other machines for consumers and agriculture?  Is John Deere wholly owned by Briggs, or does Briggs just make their blowers?  How about Simplicity?   Blowers made by Briggs, but are they just a division of Briggs, or what?  I understand that Husqvarna is its own company, so everything under that brand name is made by them.  Correct or not?  I could certainly use some enlightenment about lots of other companies and brand names so far as who makes all the various OPE products.  

El Toro! 1028 LXE - Tecumseh 358cc 10hp   Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!
borat

Reply #8   Oct 26, 2011 10:38 am
I looked at a Cub Cadet snow blower five years ago when I was in the market for a new machine to replace my well used Craftsman.  The Cub dealer was asking several hundred more for their equivalent product vs. the Simplicity 9-28 that I ultimately purchased.  Believe me, the Cub was not in the same class as the Simplicity back then.  It's an insult to consumers to lessen the quality of a product, hang a well respected name on it and try to sell it for a price that does not reflect the value. 

This is not just an issue with Cub Cadet.  Virtually all modern manufacturers have slid in quality.  Even names like Ariens, Simplicity and Toro have gone that route.  Virtually every domestic manufacturer has dropped in quality compared to machines built ten or less years ago.  It's now the new age of inferior products for the same price, designed to fail withing a prescribed time limit so that consumers have to go out and do it all over again.  The days of  Ariens, Toros and Simplicy's lasting 25 to 30 years is a thing of of the past.  If you have an older machine, take good care of it because you won't be seeing that kind of quality from the domestics in the present nor the future.  Anyone who wants a lifetime machine nowadays, will have to shell out the big bucks for a Honda or a Yamaha.   You have to respect the Japanese for their steadfast adherence to continued uncompromised quality.    

This message was modified Oct 26, 2011 by borat
blumonster

Reply #9   Oct 26, 2011 11:21 am
The Japanese think long term, even when they think of profit.

The rest are trying to squeeze as much profit out of as little effort as they can.

I bet these newer machines made in China with famous brand-name plates are not going to be around for long.They will change the label once it is dirtied/consumed (once people get to know how inferior they are built) and continue making and selling the same garbage as before under new names.

FrankMA

Reply #10   Oct 26, 2011 11:26 am
Maybe at some point these manufacturers will have to produce a quality product again just so they will have a good brand name to use for the junk they'll want to manufacture down the road... My head hurts now!

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
aa335

Reply #11   Oct 26, 2011 11:30 am
blumonster wrote:
The Japanese think long term, even when they think of profit.

Of course they do think of profit.  It's hard to find anything Japanese branded that is actually made in Japan.  Mostly in Thailand and China.

I remembered a quote from the "Fast and Furious" movie, "I live my life, a quarter mile at a time..."  Hardly inspirational for anyone above 20 years old.

Some companies also adopt this philosophy.  "ask not what you can do for this company, ask what you can do for our shareholders this quarterly."
This message was modified Oct 26, 2011 by aa335
Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42