Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens 961465 22" FWD lawn mower replacing '79 Lawn-Boy model 5247 19"

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
NotMoneyGuy

Ariens 961465 22" FWD lawn mower replacing '79 Lawn-Boy model 5247 19"
Original Message   May 14, 2011 2:27 pm

I had been considering getting an Ariens mower (961465 - Kohler XT-7 173 cc powered Husqvarna in disguise out of McRae, GA) just to keep seeing orange year round.  The old '79 Lawn-Boy (model 5247) was a little too smoky on the season opener...

With a sale at Home Depot sweetened by a further promo-matching of another store I got a real sweet deal as I pulled the trigger on it on Friday morning; CA$160.30 + tax.  Now I have to put the Lawn-Boy up for adoption to a good home, per the wife's harsh OPE quantitative limits.  Can you make use of it Borat?

This message was modified May 14, 2011 by NotMoneyGuy

Ariens Deluxe 28  921022  WI, USA      --      Poulan PRO PR621ES 208 cm3 961880002-00

Replies: 2 - 3 of 3Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
NotMoneyGuy

Re: Ariens 961465 22" FWD lawn mower replacing '79 Lawn-Boy model 5247 19"
Reply #2   May 14, 2011 5:09 pm
Borat,

I may just keep it then, it doesn't take up too much space on the shelf with the handle off as you can see in the photo near the top, behind the white buckets.  (The wife may not even see it there.) At the right opportunity, I will have it serviced for peak operation, but it still works OK as is.  Fresher gas may be all that's needed. You also gotta love the lack of safety levers on the bar, so simple to pop it off and on, and freedom to move stuff out of the way while mowing.

BUT, for $160 I just couldn't pass up the orange Ariens to complement the Sno-Thro.  The L-B can be a hidden back-up in case I don't really like "new" lawn mowers once I actually try cutting with it.  Last night I merely unpacked the Ariens, added Shell gas and 18 oz 30 oil and ran it on the drive way for ten minutes, to run-in the motor.  Didn't cut the lawn as just the night before I had seeded, and fertilized the previous night, and did not want to stir it all up.

The '79 Lawn-Boy was a hand-me-down from my boss back in Sep 2004 who in turn had got it off someone else and probably so on. I knew he had paid for a Helicoil for the plug hole and had the on/off switch relocated and replaced.  I have done a few little things such as replacing the recoil spring, blade and new switch and its wires for the on/off.  Abuse and some work with wire cutters and pliers every once in a while, the thing just won't die.

In all honesty, I thought it was just a temporary machine so back in Aug 2005 - Warning: OPE OCD confession time coming up here - I along with two neighbours and a co-worker scored four (one each) Lawn-Boy 10671 195 cc Tecumseh machines for a great deal though some price-matching maneuvers. Since I was using the 1979, I put my factory-sealed 10671 box way up high up on a shelf, out of the way in the garage, where it remains to this day almost six years later! The 1979 just wouldn't die, even with semi-intentional neglect.  The other three are still happily enjoying their 10671's with 6.5 HP.  Mine has never seen the light of day, no warranty left, and not a speck of dust or nick on it, still factory-fresh.  I will now crack it out when the yet-to-be-used Ariens dies. Sort of like the Rush song about the red Barchetta. I just wanted the Ariens cause of the Sno-Thro enjoyment carry-over effect and it has a Kohler engine. I also have a Gardena 6000 SM push manual reel mower.

There, I feel better now.

This message was modified May 15, 2011 by NotMoneyGuy

Ariens Deluxe 28  921022  WI, USA      --      Poulan PRO PR621ES 208 cm3 961880002-00

borat

Re: Ariens 961465 22" FWD lawn mower replacing '79 Lawn-Boy model 5247 19"
Reply #3   May 14, 2011 10:13 pm
The stuff I buy usually doesn't work.   Before I take it, I make sure that the prospects of making it work are good.   I usually ensure cranks don't wobble and compression is good.  After that, it's just a matter of electrics and carbs.  Easy stuff to fix. 

I've scores a lot of good stuff lately and paid very little.    For well under a thousand dollars, I've bought two used Tecumseh 2 cycle powered single stage snow throwers, a Stihl chainsaw, four Lawn Boy mowers, a Shindaiwa water pump, a 2007 Yamaha 6 h.p. outboard motor, a Toro Power Shovel and an air compressor.  Every piece needing a bit of work and every piece now working flawlessly except one LB mower awaiting a part.   All quality stuff with lots of life left in them.

I get a great deal of satisfaction raising old mechanical things from the dead and returning them to working condition.    

Now, with six push mowers, I'll have to dole a couple out to friends and family.  That way, I know where they are and can fix them as required.  

Replies: 2 - 3 of 3Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42