Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Riding mower identification, (MTD) Mastercut 38 inch deck 12hp

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
trouts2

Riding mower identification, (MTD) Mastercut 38 inch deck 12hp
Original Message   May 6, 2011 3:20 pm
   Got a Mastercut riding mower with a 12hp Briggs I/C engine.    The factory number is rubbed off its tag.  If anyone has one of these please post the factory number.

The maker tag has AeroIndustries but I think it was made by MTD.  I'm not sure when MTD tookover AreoIndustries so it may be AreoIndustries made.  If you have a Lawnboy or some other brand with the same features then it's MTD.  The year is around 1985-1989.  The closest I've found so far is an Agway 300 which is an MTD #137-332-019.

The engine on this seems shot.  The compression is 30psi.  I can turn the flywheel easily by hand through the compression stroke.

UPDATE: Got it started and it runs very well.  Cut a big section of lawn and no engine sag.  Went up a steep hill cutting and no sag.  The engine seems fine.  ??  Ran it up and down the street and it ran fine.

This message was modified May 6, 2011 by trouts2
Replies: 4 - 5 of 5Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
trouts2

Re: Riding mower identification, (MTD) Mastercut 38 inch deck 12hp
Reply #4   May 10, 2011 12:28 pm

The sticker number under the seat has been worn off.  The engine is 1988.  I found a group of drawings which match the machine all from 1987.    They match except for one belt which is a problem. 

The blades are always engaged.  When the deck is disengaged the belt does not go slack enough to let the belt slip on the drive pulley.  There is no tensioner pulley.  What I think happens is the engagement level lowers the deck and at the same time moves the deck back slightly which is probably how the belt gets tensioned.  It may be working properly but the belt on there may be too tight. 

The belt on all the drawings of machines similar all have a deck drive belt of 754-0280.  The MTD site lists that belt at ½  x 53 ½ inches.  That size would never work on this machine.  The belt on there is 754-0329 listed as .625 x 69.28.  Some non-MTD  sites list the 754-0280 as .700 x 53.17 which also never work.  The belt on there measures about 70 inches, is too tight and not the right part number, it’s754-0329. ??

I’d like to get a belt that works but that will probably have to be done by trial and error.  It makes starting the thing harder because of the blades being engaged. 

The compression is 30psi and way to low even with compression release.  I think your right Friiy, that something is going on with the valves.  It could also be a sheared key and the flywheel only slightly off but most  likely valves.  With the air filter off there seems to be a slight mist in the throat which much be caused by the intake valve leaking.

Bill_H,

The sticker under the seat has AirCap Industries on it but the rest is worn off.  Given the 1986 and the drawing match to MTD it’s MTD made.

Not a bad rig for $100 and it came with the double cloth bags and blower hose.  The guy had the solenoid wired to the ground post of the ignition switch for some reason.  He ran a separate wire to do that.  The original wire was inplace but unconnected.  ?? 

Friiy, you mentioned these carbs were weird.  It has a 4 inch tube with small holes you can unscrew and remove from the top of the carb which was partly plugged.  Never saw such a tube before.  Clearing that made it start and run a bit better. 

trouts2

Re: Riding mower identification, (MTD) Mastercut 38 inch deck 12hp
Reply #5   May 12, 2011 10:47 am
    I think I understand what's going on with the belts.  The original deck was 32 inches.  The guy replaced the 32 with a 38.  Both are MTD and look similar.  The difference in the deck size is probably why the belt tension is off. 

The bigger deck does not move back as far with the engagement lever set to disengaged allowing the bladed to turn without great power. 

Replies: 4 - 5 of 5Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42