Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Time for a new lawnmower?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
royster

" It is the use of power tools that separates man from animals"

Time for a new lawnmower?
Original Message   Apr 1, 2011 12:41 pm
I purchased my lawnmower  May 12 , 1998 , so it is about 13 years old. It is a Craftsman 944.368300  s/n 010 998m 000270 It is powered by a Tecumseh VLV066  6.75 horsepower engine             No, I am not taking any pictures of the old thing.

21 inch cut,  , front wheel drive, has no throttle. starts wide open. I have had no problems with this mower  except maintenance required replacing the (always spinning ) front wheels twice. They are around $60  each at Sears , but I got  2 for $12    on e-bay ,twice. I have changed the oil every year, use the Craftsman 30 oil. and have changed the sparkplug  a few times.

I have been looking at some the new offerings and would like to  have an opinion on front or rear wheel drive. I've never used a rwd .

I looked at a Troy built at Can Tire yesterday.  It is rwd , has large rear  wheels, a Honda 160 cc engine,  Electric start with a battery on board, all 4 wheels can be adjusted for cutting height with  one control lever.   I think it is 21 inch , has left and right control levers to adjust ground speed.     It is priced at $599.99    I will get them  to move it down from the rack , the next time that I am in the store, so I can get a better look at it.     Sears are just getting in their new models  so will look at them soon.

This message was modified Apr 1, 2011 by royster

Replies: 17 - 26 of 27Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
aa335

Re: Time for a new lawnmower?
Reply #17   Apr 3, 2011 12:59 pm
royster wrote:
I am sure that these vintage lawn mowers are interesting and there were  many good lawnmowers  among them, but I am in the market for a new self propelled walk behind lawnmower

And  I am looking for recommendations, if possible.

Is rear wheel drive better? I have only had fwd .

SInce you didn't mention price range and more specific requirements, people have thrown out a few suggestions.   Its good to have requirements so you don't get all over the rainbow recommendations.  You can spend anywhere from $150 to $1500 on a 21" push mower.  Anywhere from a disposable walmart special to a commercial grade mower.

I'll throw in my recommendation based on my own experience. 

The current model Toro Super Recycler Model 20092.  This is rear wheel drive, personal pace self propelled, with cast aluminum deck.  No frills, no brake blade clutch or electric start.  I have this one.

It's a good mulcher, easy to change speeds, nice balance and easy to steer.  The engine is as simple as they get, no choke, no throttle control, just a primer bulb.  It has a simple B&S L head engine.  Reliable and cheap, although not as quiet and fuel efficient as a more expensive OHV engine.

Rear wheel drive absolute must if you ever bag.  As the bag gets heavier, front wheel gets lighter and lose traction, especially going uphill.  If you make a lot of 180 degrees turns, FWD might be more desirable, tipping up and turn without changing speed or disengaging the drive.  Its easier to pivot around a non driven wheel. 
This message was modified Apr 3, 2011 by aa335
MN_Runner

Reply #18   Apr 3, 2011 1:05 pm
royster,

If you are going to buy one with a Honda engine, I would just buy a new Honda lawnmower.  You can get a HRX 190CC (around $599) and you will like the cut and quietness.  I had a HRR 160CC for 10 years and it was slightly underpowered.  Not sure if FWD is better than RWD or vice a versa.  I have had no issue with RWD.  If you are willing to pay $699, you can get a hydrostatic HRX.  HRX cuts really well (either mulch or bag) - I am sure others will cut well. 

royster

Reply #19   Apr 3, 2011 6:23 pm
Thank you for your suggestions,   I am  looking for one in the $600 range. 
This message was modified Apr 3, 2011 by royster

FrankMA

Reply #20   Apr 4, 2011 6:42 am
MN_Runner wrote:
royster,

If you are going to buy one with a Honda engine, I would just buy a new Honda lawnmower.  You can get a HRX 190CC (around $599) and you will like the cut and quietness.  I had a HRR 160CC for 10 years and it was slightly underpowered.  Not sure if FWD is better than RWD or vice a versa.  I have had no issue with RWD.  If you are willing to pay $699, you can get a hydrostatic HRX.  HRX cuts really well (either mulch or bag) - I am sure others will cut well. 

Ixsnay on the hydrostatic drive!

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
aa335

Reply #21   Apr 4, 2011 10:08 am
FrankMA wrote:
Ixsnay on the hydrostatic drive!

Shields up! 
Knee_Biter

Wicked Pissa

Reply #22   Apr 4, 2011 10:34 am
I have owned and used both front and rear drive. My opinion is rear. Would never use front again. I have owned and used Craftsman, Toro, Ariens ,Older Snapper, Older Lawnboy, and Honda. Liked the Snapper and Lawnboys. Love my Honda masters series. I own both 3spd and Hydrostatic and use my Hydro 99.9% of the time.

royster

Reply #23   Apr 4, 2011 1:40 pm
There is that "H" word again.

aa335

Reply #24   Apr 4, 2011 1:53 pm
royster wrote:
There is that "H" word again.

Let's call it the turbo encabulator!
snowmachine

Reply #25   Apr 9, 2011 12:50 pm
I do like my Honda HRX217HMA. I hope it will be a lifetime mower for me and the NeXite deck truly lasts that long as well.
Underdog

Reply #26   Apr 9, 2011 8:20 pm
I would not be too quick to pass on the idea of buying  a used mower.  There are so many people that opt to have their lawn mowed commercially or end up with a tractor and don't want to take up space in the garage for the lawnmower.

These "rarely used mowers" show up on Craigslist.  I have seen lightly used HRX217HMA Hondas (yes, I have a bias for that hydro) in the $270 to $300 range. That is still a lot of money for a used mower.  But I my opinion you get your money's worth. I picked up the early version HRX216 for $100 and the carb needed flushed out but the hydro runs like a top.

This message was modified Apr 9, 2011 by Underdog

Replies: 17 - 26 of 27Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42