Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Tecumseh Engines Prone to throwing Rods

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
SnowRemover

Toro 828LXE

Tecumseh Engines Prone to throwing Rods
Original Message   Jan 31, 2005 9:48 am
OK, my snowblower has a Tecumseh engine, so when I read this I thought it could be either BS, correct, or old news.

You can't go wrong with a Briggs and Stratton engine. Tecumseh engines are prone to throwing piston rods through the crankcase wall if the oil level drops at all. The Tecumseh speed control is not nearly as robust as the Briggs and Stratton either. Briggs & Stratton is now back in the snow blower engine business in a big way with overhead valve engines ranging from 6.5 through 13 horsepower. Given prices, contracts and market inertia it's anybody's guess how quickly they will regain market share. However if you shop around machines can be found with these engines.

Anyone with any knowledge care to comment?  Here's the link.
http://home.gwi.net/~spectrum/snowbuying.html

--SnowRemover
This message was modified Jan 31, 2005 by SnowRemover

It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!
--Friedrich Nietzsche
Replies: 30 - 39 of 39Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
nibbler

Re: Tecumseh Engines Prone to throwing Rods
Reply #30   Feb 2, 2005 8:25 pm
Add me to the list of blown Tecumseh ( thrown rod ) engines.

I've got it chalked up to probable operator error ( me). I had some problem, sent it to a local dealer. they fixed it but said there was no oil in it when it came in. Next time I used it it locked up on me. Sent it back without doing an inspection ( silly me). They come back and say the engine is blown, do I want a short block? I say no and start researching ( mostly WTB - thank you everybody :-) ).  Got the engine back and there's this big hole in the side. I've put an 11HP B&S Intek Snow  on the blower and so far have been really happy. I also check the oil every time I start up which is what i should have been doing in the first place.

Note - There was a dead spot in the grass that was under the snow where I had the blower parked so my guess is that I had a slow leak that went unnoticed. I had changed the oil in the fall and checked the level for the first several startups and then got lazy.

Final Note: Yes it was fun putting the new engine on.
millwright

MIllwrights keep the world running

Reply #31   Feb 2, 2005 8:37 pm
The "dipper "on the connecting rod which splashes the oil around is as big as your finger nail and does not go to the bottom of the sump." down only a little oil" famous last words as you tilt back your blower to back up . opps now i have a large hole undre my starter .

millwright

Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #32   Feb 2, 2005 8:38 pm
Hi Nibbler,

Was it difficult trying to re-power your machine.  I don't recall if you mentioned whether your snowblower originally had an 11 HP engine on it.  If not, were there any modification to the snowblower or the drive & auger pulleys that you needed to make?  This is a great subject, I wish more members that have repowered were to post their experiences.  I'm sure many would benefit from it. 

Richie
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #33   Feb 2, 2005 8:38 pm
Could it be possible Tecumseh's use oil faster, thus catching more people with low oil, thus more kabooms?
buttlint

Reply #34   Feb 2, 2005 9:06 pm
Marshall,
Briggs tells me that thier 10 hp, horizontal shaft, L-heads, (that they used on a lot  of generators) use 1 oz. of oil per hr.....That's acceptable too them.
So... say you are on a jobsite....where you run 8 hrs a day....burning 8 oz of oil is normal? I just hope you have an oil-guard switch that shuts it down every couple of hours? Cause if you didnt buy that option.....you are going too have toast for lunch  the second day it's on the jobsite.  I have seen alot of those with big ole gapping holes in the side of thier crankcases.
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #35   Feb 2, 2005 9:22 pm
buttlint wrote:
Briggs tells me that thier 10 hp, horizontal shaft, L-heads, (that they used on a lot  of generators) use 1 oz. of oil per hr
That's an insane amount of oil for an engine to use.  Glad I'm looking for a Honda powered generator with their 11 HP OHV engine. 

Richie
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #36   Feb 2, 2005 9:27 pm
buttlint wrote:
Marshall,
Briggs tells me that thier 10 hp, horizontal shaft, L-heads, (that they used on a lot  of generators) use 1 oz. of oil per hr.....That's acceptable too them.
So... say you are on a jobsite....where you run 8 hrs a day....burning 8 oz of oil is normal? I just hope you have an oil-guard switch that shuts it down every couple of hours? Cause if you didnt buy that option.....you are going too have toast for lunch  the second day it's on the jobsite.  I have seen alot of those with big ole gapping holes in the side of thier crankcases.
Their either scewing with you or, more likely, those engines that do run all day have no cylinder walls left and the rings are shot. Who would knowingly continue to use an engine in that shape, besides the government? LMAO
bmwe0692

"Have a great and glorious day"

Reply #37   Feb 2, 2005 9:35 pm
Would this mean that my recycled tec, some parts came from the auto-recycling center
(still love that phrase) will throw a rod in the middle of a dark and stormy night,
(sounds like the start of a novel) snow blowing 2' of snow, so I can get out and get to work.
I keep the oil,(synthetic and a little sea foam) right at the full mark.
Will I have to stop every 1/2 hr. to check the oil?
  WHEN AND IF IT BLOWS IT GOES!!!(right back to the auto-recycling center HA HA)
BUT it will have another tec on it!!
Old iron is good iron!
T.J. terry

Put it where the Big iron wheel runs!!!
jimbighead

Reply #38   Feb 22, 2008 2:52 pm
Recently my Husqvarna Blower went into a high rpm fit seconds after starting.  I had walked away to let it "warm up".

It threw a rod as I was running back to it to shut it down,  This took like 5 seconds.

Not the best idea this day.  It was a tecumseh snow king, 10.5 HP with only about 12 hours on it.  I take care of my stuff like a paranoid mechanic.

It was not low on oil, and had been changed about 2 1/2 run time hours before this happened.  of course it was just outside of warranty.

I just bought another blower with a briggs and stratton engine to get away from this nightmare.  In my lifetime I have never had any of my equipment throw a rod.

Now I have a $1200 boat anchor, and a shiny new Snapper.  Snowing today,  cannot wait to run the new machine.

Maybe I can fit a briggs motor on the Husky?

Jim

borat

Reply #39   Feb 22, 2008 4:14 pm
I've run two Tecumseh ten horse power L head engines for a total of twenty years and never had a problem with them.  They're not the most  sophisticated engine in the world but they get the job done.  No comparison with the Briggs OHV engines.  Nowhere near as smooth and quiet.  The B&S seems to be quite a bit more powerful for the same rating as well.  

Here's an engine I've rebuilt for my Yamaha RD400.  It's only partially re-assembled.  Carbs & intake system will be taken off before I put it back in the bike.  This motor weighs around 45 to 50 lbs. and should put out around 55 h.p. when all is done.   Put this on your Husqvarna! 

Replies: 30 - 39 of 39Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42